Author Topic: Thoughts?  (Read 10005 times)

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
Thoughts?
« on: May 23, 2008, 03:04:14 PM »
How did the 5 hours of riffing pan out.  Post your thoughts here.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: Thoughts?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2008, 03:44:05 PM »
Well, I'm still working so I haven't seen it yet, but hey, there's always time to re-implant an earworm.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline bm2i

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2008, 08:14:01 PM »
i have no idea how these guys made it all the way through this. how many times do they have to watch a movie to write a riff for it?

that said, funny riff - impressive even for such a long and painfully boring movie. (i really wanted to love the LOR stuff...i wanted to...but every time i rewatch them, i die a little more inside). 

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2008, 08:26:22 PM »
Seemed like they were really having fun with this one, no "hatred" of the movie, just good old riffing on stuff that's happening on screen.

Well, OK, there was a little bit of riffing on other roles/movies of some of the actors, but it was kept to a minimum.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2008, 09:02:01 PM »
The excessive sports references turned me off a bit, but it was good.

All in all, they should have just skipped to part 3, where they can make their opus of "false ending" jokes. I lost count of the "endings" that one had.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2008, 09:24:30 PM »
I don't agree about them skipping this one, it was funny as hell so I wouldn't have wanted to miss it.  Good point about the lack of hate in this one.  This is definitely a movie they all liked.  Didn't stop it from being a funny riff though.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2008, 01:17:36 AM »
The excessive sports references turned me off a bit, but it was good.

All in all, they should have just skipped to part 3, where they can make their opus of "false ending" jokes. I lost count of the "endings" that one had.

That shot at Philly sports teams not winning rings, did they write that after the Flyers lost?  That wasn't that long ago.  But it is starting to be a pattern, teams almost winning it all...

I just watched the extended #3 again, that first fade to black was pointless, it spoils the flow of the movie.  I think part 3 will be harder to riff, much more depressing and nasty throughout most of it, I'm sure they'll do it someday, should be interesting to see if it's as funny as this one.

Offline Gamera

• Sparkles in Sunlight
    • VincentCalenzo.com
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2008, 03:38:02 PM »
Personally, I like it when they hate on a movie.  I'm coo-coo for tantrums.

That said, this is a good rifftrax with many belly-laughs, despite the absence of malice.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2008, 04:39:11 PM »
I feel exactly the same way Gam.  I love hate but in this case it worked without it.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2008, 01:07:26 AM »
Loved every minute of it. Good riffs, every one. I'm impressed they kept up the quality of the jokes despite the length of the movie too. That's gotta be hard to do. Gonna be a hard act to follow.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2008, 06:23:01 AM »
The problem with hate in a riff would be if they faked it.  Leave the hate for the movies that deserve it, like Battlefield Earth.  This one didn't need it, and it turned out great.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2008, 02:49:58 PM »
I'm about half way through and it's a pretty good one so far.  The riff doesn't seem to be making the movie go any faster though.  We were about an hour and fifteen minutes in and already looking forward to the end of the movie. I don't think this riff will bring repeat viewings to our household.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2008, 05:28:47 PM »
Yeah I watched it and it seemed to never end! I looked at the time at the end and realized it was almost 3 hours!! I thought it was about 2.5. Good god these movies are long.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2008, 06:22:38 PM »
Yeah I watched it and it seemed to never end! I looked at the time at the end and realized it was almost 3 hours!! I thought it was about 2.5. Good god these movies are long.

It's only 1 minute longer than the first one, just seems longer.  ;)

The extended version is 44 minutes longer.

The 3rd one is the longest, 3.5 hours for the theatrical version, just over 4 hours extended.

Mike's joke about getting bed sores surely is true for the extended set, almost 11 and a half hours for the 3 movies.......

Offline Dr. Whopoopeepee

• Big Montana
  • NERDS!!!
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2008, 11:24:07 PM »
I thought that this Rifftrax was among the best they've ever done.  I could've gone longer!