Author Topic: Wii Fit  (Read 7597 times)

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
Re: Wii Fit
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2008, 05:55:52 PM »
This game kicked my butt...I consider myself a pretty strong person, and did good with the strength training stuff. But the balance games and yoga kicked my butt. They worked out muscles I didn't even know I had, and because I was so impressed with what the game had to offer, I didn't realize how tired I was until I finished every exercise I unlocked...yow I'm tired.

Congratulations nintendo...

Still I worry for people that might hurt themselves because of them not exercising like...at all. Some of these were way hard, even though I work out a lot, I hope we don't start hearing about old people breaking their hips and little kids screwing up their backs. That would suck.

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2008, 08:05:38 PM »

Still I worry for people that might hurt themselves because of them not exercising like...at all. Some of these were way hard, even though I work out a lot, I hope we don't start hearing about old people breaking their hips and little kids screwing up their backs. That would suck.

Seriously.  What's the over/under on the first news report of someone suffering from a heart attack while playing Wii Fit?  And then of course the family will sue Nintendo because they didn't let you know exercise could be strenuous.   You know it'll happen. 

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3704
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2008, 02:23:14 AM »
I managed to snag one of the last 2 copies in town. I'm enjoying it so far. One of the things that has always frustrated me about working out is that I always know I'm doing it wrong, but I'm never sure where I'm going astray. Being able to watch my center of balance fall off-kilter helps me learn to do it right. This was $80 well spent. If I stick to it, I might even get healthy or something. :^)

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
  • Liked: 1516
  • OneWallCinema: Like a snake to the heart.
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2008, 04:44:39 AM »
I've already got a bad back and a jacked up knee due to some nasty soccer injuries a few years back, so shocking my balance isn't so hot when I have to stand on one leg.  And I'm not that flexibile either.

One of the discs in between my vertebrae in my lower back is 3/4 gone.  I've been told I'll need surgery on it eventually.

But the game was fun.  I especially enjoyed when they showed you your center of balance afterwards and the red line was jumping all over the place.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59:16 PM »
Did much better today on the various balance & yoga type stuff.  But gained a few pounds thanks to all the delicious ballpark food at Fenway.

I really should have hit preview... oops.

[yt=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/v/_iYBmAVuBns[/yt]
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 05:41:11 AM by k1 »

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2008, 09:19:36 PM »

We've had roughly 24 hours with this game now. My impressions so far:

Likes: Some challenging aerobic and balance games. The marble game looks especially fun (so far I've only watched Pak play it). The resistance training is really stroking my ego big time since I've been pumping iron for years and the unweighted exercises are nothin' right now. With added reps I can see how, even with no weights, they can become challenging for me with time, however. My fear of them not including the option for weights may be ungrounded. The whole competitive aspect of regular workouts and doing them well against other players is a huge bonus, in my mind. It means Pak and I may keep trying to out do each other and get healthier as we go. I also like how the game challenges you to concentrate on balance most of the time, which I see older people really benefiting from (assuming any are playing the game). The game also verified why I have plantar fasciitis in that I put all my weight on my heels 99.9% of the time. I'm hoping the game can help me change that so I'm not hobbling around every morning like an old woman.

Dislikes (ie: nitpicking from an exercise whore, sorry): When will we ever stop using BMI charts? BMI charts are not accurate in that they don't take into consideration how much muscle mass you may have, or if you have a large-small skeletal frame and other factors that may effect how much you weigh. Being told you're "overweight" when you're actually not (at least not in the bad way) is a real downer.  :P Figuring in a simple line of questioning like,"Do you lift weights regularly?" could lend a bit more accuracy. I like the jogging trail, but the game really needs to allow you to cool down better at the end, as it stops you rather abruptly when the trail ends. About five minutes walking in place could bring the heart rate down in a safer way. I elected to do that on my own when I tried it, but a lot of people (Pak, I'm talking to you) don't seem to know to do that after vigorous exercise. My only other complaint is with the Yoga program. They have you graduate from Warrior (easy) to Tree (semi-hard) pose and there are a whole host of other positions (some of them even unlockable in the game) they could have included that would have served as good transitional poses for folks who don't usually do Yoga. Pak (who's never touched Yoga until now) did awesome with the program up until the Tree pose. I'd imagine most Yoga newbies had the same experience.

Offline Fortis

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2008, 10:53:27 PM »
The tree pose kicked my butt...

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2008, 06:51:10 PM »
The tree pose kicked my butt...

The plank one was bad times... I couldn't quite figure out where I was supposed to be putting my weight on the board (up towards my wrists? elbows? all of the above?) Not to mention the edge of the board is about 2 inches from my elbow on this one and it hurt like crap.  That board is not so comfy.

I'm still playing about 15-30 min a day though and having fun.

Offline Fortis

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2008, 07:03:31 PM »
I've been playing this game steadily since it came out...I'm way suprised. I've always eaten healthy my entire life, my problem was having an office job that keeps me on my butt all day.

I've lost 6 pounds so far, and have lost about a pound and a half each day. That's intense.

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2008, 08:46:46 PM »
I've been playing this game steadily since it came out...I'm way suprised. I've always eaten healthy my entire life, my problem was having an office job that keeps me on my butt all day.

I've lost 6 pounds so far, and have lost about a pound and a half each day. That's intense.

Yeah I'm in the same boat.  My desk used to be on the 5th floor and I'd take the stairs all the time, but then we moved to a new building and I was on 1.  Then I moved to 2 (more of a desk than a corner office type thing like I had which blew) but they gave me a parking spot in the garage below the 1st floor.  But there's no stairs to get down there, so I have to take the elevator.  So I've been doing less walking which sucks.  That'll change now that it's nice out and I can walk to Dunkin Donuts for coffee from my house.

But I'm down about 5 myself.  (Went up a pound and a half after pigging out at my kids 2nd B-day party, but then back down since then)

Soon I'll be ripped.

Offline Mrs. C

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2008, 08:49:44 PM »
Ok, that's insane.   I take yoga and I don't lose that much - (5 lbs in the last 2 weeks. - go me.)

Somebody send me a Wii.  And one of these games.  I got me some baby weight to lose before the Con.

Offline Fortis

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2008, 12:25:52 AM »
This game is weird...I do really good in all of the strength training (except for the push-ups, I screwed up my wrist a year ago and I haven't bench pressed or done a push up since before then...it sucks) but Yoga, every single time I do it, destroys me! I am not a very flexible person, at all, and yoga is killing me off, I've never been so tired after a work out before.

You yoga-ers that I silently made fun of in my mind with your meditations and your sun salutations...have earned my respect and admiration.

I think I'm going to post my progress here as I go along...it'd be cool if others did too.

Oh and Mrs. C, you have to get a wii...you will never regret it

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2008, 03:49:41 AM »
I'm pretty good at the Yoga and balance, but I used to do Yoga twice a day and run at least two miles a day before pharmacy school kicked my ass and made me a lazy bum (coincidently, I was about 20 lbs lighter in those days...wonder why).   It's much easier to exercise when you set your own schedule.  I've been trying to get back into daily running, but once you break that routine, it's hard to start again.  I did do a marathon this year (and I pulled a muscle halfway through and almost died, but hey I crossed the finish).

Anywho, strength training I suck at.  I've never been able to do a push up that wasn't girly style.  I've been working on at least getting to where I don't suck at those.

I heard somewhere there was kick boxing on the Wii Fit menu, but I haven't seen it.  Waa. I wanted to kickbox.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline ebeth

• Big Montana
  • Why 9 Gars?
    • Anti-Affirmations
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2008, 03:59:58 AM »
We got one and I am excited to say that I am obese...like the cheese steaks are gonna eat themselves...my boyfriend on the other hand is considered underweight and needs to gain 11 pounds so that he won't look like an abuse victim.  I have taken to acknowledging us as Jack Sprat and Wife in attempt to make myself feel better about my love of butter.

I am looking forward to balancing my huge ass as I fake ski.
I am not above projectile vomiting to get my way

Offline k1

• Beta Tester
    • OneWallCinema.com
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2008, 05:48:27 AM »
I heard somewhere there was kick boxing on the Wii Fit menu, but I haven't seen it.  Waa. I wanted to kickbox.

Is that the one on Aerobics (I think?) on the bottom right?  I haven't unlocked that one yet and I can't make out what the picture is showing.

The punching bag one is kinda fun.  If you had to step like that in the Wii Sports boxing it'd be much more fun.