Author Topic: Riffing on video games  (Read 1251 times)

Offline Tron

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Riffing on video games
« on: August 17, 2008, 03:48:55 PM »
Ok, I'm a Deus Ex addict (The original, not the second one) and every so often i get the urge to play thru it again.

Well, I was doing so, for like the 20th time (Every time I manage to find at least one room I never found before, the game settings are HUUUUGE...) ad as I did so I couldn't help doing a few riffs on some of the cutscenes and dialogues.

For example, the foreign accents are done in the most laughably bad ways imaginable. (BTW, Deus Ex is the best computer game ever done, so don't think I'm dumping on it.) They have a russian woman who sounds like Natasha Fatale's sister, and even worse actors doing german and french accents.

While the german guy, Gunther Hermann, was talking, i couldn't help saying "Say what, inspector Kemp?" and then they did scenes in france.

The french accents, ohmigod, they were truly laugh inspiring. As this one woman was talking, I couldn't help thinking "How's your fake french accent?"

The woman then says "Hoar-EE-bull, hoar-EE-bull!"

The I think "What should you say to french people?"

Woman "ForgEEv mee! ForgEEv mee!"

I don't know if anyon'e ever done a videogame riff movie, by putting together scenes from a video game and riffing them, but if they do it might be fun to start with deus ex, it's the best computer game ever done and might make a fun riff movie too.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
Re: Riffing on video games
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
There were a couple of guys who riffed the cutscenes in Halo 3 (plenty of material there) and posted it somewhere on the forum here. A video game with long, bloated cutscenes like that does make perfectly good fodder.

Here's the thread, by the way. http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,9542.0.html
« Last Edit: August 17, 2008, 11:04:55 PM by RobtheBarbarian »

Offline Destin

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 10:50:35 AM »
Im watching all the episodes of Master Chief Theatre right now!

Now if they had this for GTA4. Mass effect. Some other games that would be pretty badass

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 10:53:27 AM »
You know what could be funny too, would be to take gameplay footage featuring mute protagonists (Gordon Freeman, Master Chief, Doomguy...) and give them voices. Sarcastic, witty voices. Hilarity ensues.

Offline darkchashy

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
  • beware strangers baring gifs
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:41:22 PM »
Half the jokes from mass effect would just be about that little turn that all the characters do when their done talking.  yeah thanks for finding my dead brother. About face!!
that's just how we ride.