login

Author Topic: Reauthor Problems  (Read 3775 times)

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 37
    • Trevor H. Cooley
Reauthor Problems
« on: May 18, 2008, 04:10:31 PM »
I downloaded the MP4 version. You know the one that is misspelled "Wolrd Enough and Time". I used DVD flick to convert it to DVD files, but the sound is Waaay off. Sothink DVD player doesn't recognize the file. I tried watching the mp-4 onMedia Player and it worked fine after downloading a codec.

Is there a mp2 version out there? This is the first time DVD Flick has failed me.

Anyone know what the problem is?
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!
http://www.amazon.com/Trevor-H.-Cooley/e/B0083U46CM/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Re: Reauthor Problems
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2008, 06:04:50 AM »
I'm not really familiar with that piece of software. I used ConvertXToDVD to author my DVD, and didn't have any problems.

If you'd like to try out a commercial package to see if it work, Giveaway Of The Day is giving away free downloads of ZC MPEG to DVD Burner, which can convert MPEG/MPG/Mpeg4/Mp4/VCD/SVCD files and burn them to DVD. This is a fully registered copy of the program, but you have to download and install it today - May, 19, 2008.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/zc-mpeg-to-dvd-burner/

EDIT: I tried out the software, and it seem to work as advertised, though I encountered a few glitches. I had to enter the registration code twice. The first time didn't seem to work, as the software is limited to only 3 uses without registration. I had to quit, restart, and go through the registation a second time before the program seemed to be fully registered. The registration name and code is given to you when you install the program, but it's also in the readme.txt file in the ZIP file you download.

When selecting files to include on the DVD, the option "All supported video media format" doesn't seem to show all file types. Change the type to MPEG and you'll be able to see MP4 files.

The program has the option to burn the DVD for you without any other software needed. A great option for novices, but there doesn't seem to be a verify option. You might want to uncheck the Burn DVD option, and burn the DVD yourself with a program that will verify the burn, such as Nero, Roxio, or the freeware IMGBurn.

My biggest gripe with the program is that it doesn't generate a menu. For this reason, I think I'll stick with ConvertXToDVD for any simple conversions I need to do. But for a free program (assuming you download it today) to convert MP4 to an authored DVD, it'll get the job done.

I spot checked my test conversion of WEAT, and there don't appear to be any sync problems. I did notice that this program reads the frame rate as 24.39 frames per second, which is an oddball frame rate. I think this file may actually be a stream-grab from the streaming version of the episode, so there may be some dropped frames here and there, and perhaps DVD Flick can't compensate for it that.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008, 07:12:39 AM by AAntilles »

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2008, 08:31:56 AM »
Thanks. I downloaded that program and I'll give it a shot. Does anyone know where to find that mpeg 2 file people have talked about?
Check out my epic fantasy series, The Bowl of Souls in Kindle and Paperback editions!

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2008, 11:30:29 AM »
I used DVDFlick to convert mine, and I think I know what you're talking about.  It rebuilds it as a fully readable DVD format, which includes file splitting the VOB files to about 1GB each.  Because I tried to use the separate VOB files for the reauthor, the sound would jump out of sync at each break point.  For mine, I just manually re-synced it by essentially freeze-framing the video for a couple frames (I'm using Sony Vegas), but I would expect that if you used something to "rip" that VOB without any file-splitting, it might work better.  Other than burning it to a disc and using DVDDecrypter to rip it, I can't help you on that part.
An easier way might just be to rip out the audio, mix that without the video, then use DVDFlick to add it as a new audio track when it builds the disc.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2008, 12:51:09 PM »
Actually it starts at the very beginning from the moment you can see the characters talking the sound is obviously way off. Then as you skip further, there are characters talking that aren't even in the room. It was actually kind of funny to see Pseudo Kirk talking with Pseudo Spock and to hear a woman's voice talking.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 12:57:36 PM »
I know MrTorso and I used TMPGEnc to convert that MP4 file to a raw, DVD compliant MPEG2 file. But I had to purchase a special codec to make it all work. But in the end there were no sync issues and the video looks very good. Especially when you consider it came from highly compressed MP4 file.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 10:36:22 AM »
I'm not really familiar with that piece of software. I used ConvertXToDVD to author my DVD, and didn't have any problems.

If you'd like to try out a commercial package to see if it work, Giveaway Of The Day is giving away free downloads of ZC MPEG to DVD Burner, which can convert MPEG/MPG/Mpeg4/Mp4/VCD/SVCD files and burn them to DVD. This is a fully registered copy of the program, but you have to download and install it today - May, 19, 2008.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/zc-mpeg-to-dvd-burner/

EDIT: I tried out the software, and it seem to work as advertised, though I encountered a few glitches. I had to enter the registration code twice. The first time didn't seem to work, as the software is limited to only 3 uses without registration. I had to quit, restart, and go through the registation a second time before the program seemed to be fully registered. The registration name and code is given to you when you install the program, but it's also in the readme.txt file in the ZIP file you download.

When selecting files to include on the DVD, the option "All supported video media format" doesn't seem to show all file types. Change the type to MPEG and you'll be able to see MP4 files.

The program has the option to burn the DVD for you without any other software needed. A great option for novices, but there doesn't seem to be a verify option. You might want to uncheck the Burn DVD option, and burn the DVD yourself with a program that will verify the burn, such as Nero, Roxio, or the freeware IMGBurn.

My biggest gripe with the program is that it doesn't generate a menu. For this reason, I think I'll stick with ConvertXToDVD for any simple conversions I need to do. But for a free program (assuming you download it today) to convert MP4 to an authored DVD, it'll get the job done.

I spot checked my test conversion of WEAT, and there don't appear to be any sync problems. I did notice that this program reads the frame rate as 24.39 frames per second, which is an oddball frame rate. I think this file may actually be a stream-grab from the streaming version of the episode, so there may be some dropped frames here and there, and perhaps DVD Flick can't compensate for it that.

I downloaded the program and had to download some new codecs to make it work, but sure enough I have dvd files that match up. Now i Just need to do a new synch with the audio and I'll be done. Thanks

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 12:08:08 PM »
Glad to help. It's always good to keep an arsenal of these types of programs handy. Every once in a while, you'll encounter a file that just won't work with your favorite conversion program.

The giveaway today is also DVD related, but it's just for ripping audio from a DVD to MP3 files.

Offline Edgewriter

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Trevor H. Cooley
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2008, 07:59:05 AM »
It worked.

This wasn't the first time DVD flick gave me fits. Sometimes if you are making a compilation disk, some of the files have audio synch issues.