Author Topic: Go Team Venture!  (Read 24569 times)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2378
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Re: New Venture Brothers Starting June 1st
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 12:47:40 AM »
...also the monarch rules.

damn straight!  As much as the entire series has grown on me, the thing that got me hooked more than anything is the Monarch/Dr. Girlfriend saga

Oh yell yeah! I watched the unaried pilot after I bought the season 1 dvd. The Monarch is hilarious in that episode (and its the only episdoe where Dr. Girlfriend isn't voiced by Doc Hammer)

I've only watched that one once so far, but it was fairly recently.  Just seeing the Monarch in his original concept costume was hilarious.  Have you listened to Doc on the commentaries, talking about how many guys will tell him his voice is a big part of why they find Dr. Girlfriend attractive?  I nearly cried laughing at that.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 05:11:10 AM »
Jackson Publick (One of the show's main helmers) worked on The Tick cartoon as a writer with Ben Edlund, so a lot of his ideas are still drawing from that same well of creativity. He apparantly also stays in touch with Ben Edlund, who has come in to work on three episodes.

Ben did the much maligned (But I really like 'em) Careers in Science, and Guess Who's Coming to State Dinner duology, and he did Viva Los Muertos! (The one with Venturestein.)

Thanks, I knew there was a connection.  I still have a first edition of Tick #1 that I bought when it came out, way back in the day.  A very funny comic.  Edlund never got around to writing many of them though.  I think the original Tick series ran for about 12 issues over the course of several years? 

I think Season 2 was an improvement overall, it really gave them a chance to develop the characters.  And making the Monarch's two henchmen into major characters was a brilliant move.  It's an incredibly smart show considering that at its core its a parody of Johnny Quest.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2806
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 01:28:56 PM »
What I love is that it never stops at parody. It parodys things, but that's never the joke. The characters have their own elements to them that  make them an integral part of the Venture universe. Take the Fantastic Four parody.  The characters are obviously based off them, but they've added twists to everyone that makes them all fit seamlessly into the Venture world of superscience.

Offline Dr. Mrs. The Monarch

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Monarch I'm......
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2008, 07:48:17 PM »
Oh man! The New episode is on adultswim.com. I watched it this afternoon!. It was awesome. We are def in for a great season. There were
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
And having

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2008, 07:13:12 AM »
Oh man! The New episode is on adultswim.com. I watched it this afternoon!. It was awesome. We are def in for a great season. There were
And having

gum.co/RFTthing

anais.jude

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2008, 07:21:49 AM »
I totally agree! This episode was a great season opener IMHO. And of course, with the monarch and Dr. G-f comes plenty of 21 and 24!

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2008, 08:14:36 AM »

Joseph and his Amazing Technicolor Nightmare Coat!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2806
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2008, 11:14:23 AM »
This season's off to a great start. They never QUITE told us what Dr. Girlfriend said, though...

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2008, 01:11:52 PM »
  I'm turning into a total Venture Bros whore. Pak and I went out and looked everywhere for those little [adult swim] figurines and the very one I was hoping for the most (Monarch) was the one I got!!! They're blind packaged so I wound up with two Monarchs since yesterday. Now if I can just wrangle a Dr.Girlfriend figure....

The new ep last night kicked ASS. This may be the best show ever on [adult swim], and before anyone thinks I'm jumping the gun, I've thought this since season 1.

Also, it doesn't hurt at all that they have J.G. "Foetus" Thirlwell (http://www.foetus.org) composing the awesome music for the show. I've been into the gentleman's eclectic material for most of my adult life.

Offline Wiseblood

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2008, 01:32:26 PM »
During this season Astrobase Go is release a different shirt a week based on the latest episode.  This week's shirt is a Guild of Calamitous Intent shirt .

http://www.astrobasego.com/shirtoftheweek.html

anais.jude

« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2008, 03:17:41 PM »
will these shirts be availible forever, cause i don't have the money to get them now.

and why do they ALWAYS have to be black?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2008, 03:21:43 PM »
Looks like the orders for shirt 1 end on the 7th...damn

gum.co/RFTthing

anais.jude

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2008, 03:23:05 PM »
damn, damn!

now i have to wrangle me up some moolah

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #28 on: June 02, 2008, 03:24:48 PM »
I might pick up one or two of these, but if they're going to pull a "order now, very limited" thing I'm going to end up making my own of the simpler ones with those printable iron on deals

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2008, 10:35:17 PM »
  I'm turning into a total Venture Bros whore. Pak and I went out and looked everywhere for those little [adult swim] figurines and the very one I was hoping for the most (Monarch) was the one I got!!! They're blind packaged so I wound up with two Monarchs since yesterday. Now if I can just wrangle a Dr.Girlfriend figure....

The new ep last night kicked ASS. This may be the best show ever on [adult swim], and before anyone thinks I'm jumping the gun, I've thought this since season 1.

Also, it doesn't hurt at all that they have J.G. "Foetus" Thirlwell (http://www.foetus.org) composing the awesome music for the show. I've been into the gentleman's eclectic material for most of my adult life.

Figurines?  I want figurines!  Where did you get them? 
I loved the new episode but I'll say it's certainly not a good place to start if you're new to the show, you're not going to have a clue what's going on.  It was great to see more backstory on the Monarch and Dr. Girlfriend.