Author Topic: Who is the Most Hated Person in the History of the Animation Industry?  (Read 21077 times)

Offline daltysmilth

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 45
  • This is MY Enterprise. Eat it, Abrams!
    • My Space
You know why John K. was fired from Ren & Stimpy?  Because he wasn't doing his job.  Doing things his way apparently meant slacking off most of the time and not delivering episodes when he was supposed to.  If he wanted to do, like, an underground graphic novel that was published on a "whenever I feel like it" schedule, then that would be fine, but in series television, if you can't deliver what you say you can, the network sacks you and hires someone who can.  You don't have to believe me.  Go to Billy West's website and read the FAQ section.  He has the whole story there.
CROW:  (Sinisterly) The Secret Government Eggo Project...
--Mystery Science Theater 3000: The Movie

"Jason, Chess is a game of chance."
-- My friend Shawn to my friend Jason upon being defeated at a game of Chess.

http://gh.ffshrine.org?r=112104

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2602
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Well I know John K's side of the story is that he was making the episodes and in a timely manner and that Nickelodeon was rejecting them, thus creating the long stretches of time between new episodes and the endless repeats.  Not sure if that's fact or not, just what I've heard him say.

That said, now that I have read that FAQ...wow, I've never heard of Billy West going off like that.  That whole situation must have been hell.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 07:07:56 PM by RoninFox »
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

anais.jude

was john k responsible for making ren and stimpy lovers? cause that was the dumbest thing i have ever seen

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
You know why John K. was fired from Ren & Stimpy?  Because he wasn't doing his job.  Doing things his way apparently meant slacking off most of the time and not delivering episodes when he was supposed to.

Umm...you know how animation gets produced? IT TAKES A LOT OF WORK! There weren't a lot of animators working at Spumco. It takes a long time to make animation with only a few people. Nickelodeon executives are greedy, impatient little shits with no sense of humor or respect for good animation. John K. was expected to produce cartoons in a fashion that was entirely impossible. Why don't YOU try to make good animation with some tasteless, humorless nitwits breathing down your neck. But John K. was fired because of the content of the cartoons, not because he couldn't "get them done on time".

Go to Billy West's website and read the FAQ section.  He has the whole story there.

Billy West is an egotistical hack who thinks that it's worth bragging about how he supposedly put a lot of effort into voicing a high-pitched CGI cockroach whose voice can barely be recognized as any specific human being, much less Billy West.

was john k responsible for making ren and stimpy lovers? cause that was the dumbest thing i have ever seen

According to John, Ren & Stimpy are gay or straight based on whatever the humor calls for. If a cartoon can be made funny by having them as lovers, they are lovers. If humor can otherwise be derived out of them as heterosexuals, they are straight. They've had gay cartoons and straight cartoonss all the time on the original series, but Nickelodeon didn't want them to be gay in any cartoon. They didn't "go gay" in Adult Party Cartoon. It was the same as the Nickelodeon cartoons. But John has also said that while Stimpy is gay and in love with Ren, Ren is only in the relationship because he can't get human females to have sex with him. So, take whichever story you prefer.

I think that if you find the idea of your favorite cartoon characters as gay lovers to be offensive, you might need to do a little soul-searching. You may be a homophobe.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2008, 11:53:40 PM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3985
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
I don't find it offensive, but I thought it was funnier when it was implied as opposed to being spelled out.

anais.jude

Well i didn't find ren and stimpy funny after the first season. i don't hate anyone though...except barry manilow....MANILOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that if you find the idea of your favorite cartoon characters as gay lovers to be offensive, you might need to do a little soul-searching. You may be a homophobe.

i didn't say it was offensive. i said it was dumb. it was dumb because it wasn't funny.

and i also never said they were my favorite cartoon characters

and i never said this "idea" word. "idea" is not in my vocabulary
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 01:47:07 AM by anais.jude »

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
Well i didn't find ren and stimpy funny after the first season.

John Kricfalusi was fired after the first season of the Nickelodeon series. Adult Party Cartoon resulted in the return of the humor.

i didn't say it was offensive. i said it was dumb. it was dumb because it wasn't funny.

They were lovers in cartoons John K. produced for the original series. They didn't automatically "become gay" in the Spike TV cartoons. It's all based on whether a funny cartoon can be made with a plotline in which they are lovers. Some cartoons had Ren & Stimpy as lovers, some cartoons had them as straight. The idea that "making Ren & Stimpy gay was dumb" is dumb in itself.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 02:24:20 AM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
Again the point is that while they might have been gay or straight depending on what was called for in the cartoon, at first it was never pointed out directly.  You could get a feeling one way or another if you really payed attention, but it was a lot different than in Adult Party Cartoon when Ren was yelling at Stimpy "Who is the pitcher and who is the catcher!"

In the first season, any kind of sexuality was implied and buried.  When it got pulled out into the open and all but pointed out with flashing arrows saying "Look, they're gay" then it loses its humor.

Really, I'll say that even the first season, that I absolutely loved when it first came out, has not aged well.  The episodes I've gone back and watched in the past couple years rarely get more than the occasional chuckle out of me.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space
Think of Dr. Forrester and TV's Frank from MST3k.  There were times when they seemed to imply that Forrester and Frank were more than just "a mad scientist and his assistant".  And they seem to have a similar kind of love-hate relationship to the one that Ren & Stimpy had.  But would Mystery Science Theater 3000 have been funnier if they came right out and said Forrester and Frank were gay lovers?  Somehow I kinda doubt it.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!

Oh, GET OFF IT. Her point was that the innuendo about Ren & Stimpy's relationship in the original series was a funny and subversive move; the blunt explicitness of their relationship in Adult Party Cartoon was a gigantic YAWN. If you have to explain the joke, there IS no joke.
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

anais.jude

Oh, GET OFF IT. Her point was that the innuendo about Ren & Stimpy's relationship in the original series was a funny and subversive move; the blunt explicitness of their relationship in Adult Party Cartoon was a gigantic YAWN. If you have to explain the joke, there IS no joke.

Damn straight!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax

Damn straight!

Exactly.   :clap:

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable

Damn straight!

Which is funny, you see, since we were talking about homosexuality, of which straightness would be the opposite.

Offline daltysmilth

• My Space

Damn straight!

Which is funny, you see, since we were talking about homosexuality, of which straightness would be the opposite.

Hee hee!  Now that's the sort of joke you won't find in a lot of John K.'s cartoons.  You know... a funny one.