login

Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 26382 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 995
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2008, 12:13:19 PM »

Whatever happened to Matthew Lillard?  I thought he was the bees knees back in '96.

His last film was the Uwe Boll epic: "In the Name of the King: A Dungeon Siege Tale."  I wouldn't recommend a rental just to see him again.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2008, 12:24:27 PM »
Pssssst.... Courtney.  You're obviously right, but if I were you I wouldn't work too hard trying to prove it.  I've come to the conclusion that Isaac might possibly be slightly unhinged.

How dare you say that I'm slightly unhinged! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you! ;) :D ;D

I'm kidding.

Scream was a fine film, and a breath of fresh air for its time, too.  Don't blame the original for the shitty copycats that rode its coattails.

I found Scream and its sequel to be really, really dumb. Typical scene:

Jamie Kennedy: "In every horror movie, teenagers who say 'I'll be back' are killed!"
Some guy: "I'll be back!"
[Walks off, gets killed.]

It's the same scene over and over again, occasionally with the killer calling up some dopey teen and asking them trivial questions that they are not always likely to know (like the killer in Friday the 13th). Imagine if the killer instead asked them about history. Would it be scary or hilarious to watch some moron trying to figure out who assassinated Abe Lincoln to avoid having his throat cut open?

Idiot: Uh....uh..... who's Abraham Lincoln again? Is he the lead singer of Linkin Park?
[Gets killed.]

But in Scream, the guy who says "I'll be back," was Matthew Lillard who
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. In fact, he says it twice.

And, yeah, I do think that a movie using Betsy Palmer as some crazed history teacher who tests her students before killing them in unique ways based of notorious serial killers in history (e.g. Elizabeth Bathory, Albert Fish, or Gilles de Rais) would be pretty awesome. Scary? I doubt it, but I haven't been scared by a horror movie since I first saw the original Haunting of Hill House when I was about 13.

Oh, and speaking of Lillard, we shouldn't forget what might've been the first step down the road to obscurity, Wing Commander.

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #63 on: May 21, 2008, 12:30:26 PM »

It's the same scene over and over again, occasionally with the killer calling up some dopey teen and asking them trivial questions that they are not always likely to know (like the killer in Friday the 13th). Imagine if the killer instead asked them about history. Would it be scary or hilarious to watch some moron trying to figure out who assassinated Abe Lincoln to avoid having his throat cut open?

Idiot: Uh....uh..... who's Abraham Lincoln again? Is he the lead singer of Linkin Park?
[Gets killed.]

Hmmm...

He's a part time teacher, flitting from school to school, class to class and never quite finding a niche and always putting up with the abuse that the students heaped upon his type. But one fateful day, the students went too far, and now he's going to give *them* an education. In Terror!

"I'm going to give you a little anatomy test, Jimmy. Which one of these should I cut so that you won't bleed to death? Your carotid artery or your jugular vein? (slice) Whoops. Trick question."

"Science time, Jeanette. What happens when we reduce your head's temperature to -280 C? Let's find out."

"Like my Home Ec project, Steve? I call it Filet o' your girlfriend."

He's... the Substitute Reaper! You'll be late to class... forever!

Yeah, I think that I'd watch that.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #64 on: May 21, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »
Alls I can say about Mathew Lillard is he made a great Shaggy.

Zoinks!
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
« Reply #65 on: May 21, 2008, 12:38:21 PM »
Er...

http://forum.rifftrax.com/index.php/topic,9088.msg265175.html#msg265175

Yes, Issac. I started typing, went to IMDB to make sure that he hadn't snuck into something since then, started typing a reply noting that his agent had gone insane and cast him in such films greats as Wing Commander, Summer Catch, She's All That, Thirteen Ghosts, Without a Paddle... then decided that was irrelevant to the topic and just posted the Uwe Boll bit. And during that stretch of time, you posted as well. My apologies for not noticing that you had posted 90 seconds prior to that.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #66 on: May 21, 2008, 12:41:04 PM »
Scream was a fine film, and a breath of fresh air for its time, too.  Don't blame the original for the shitty copycats that rode its coattails.

I found Scream and its sequel to be really, really dumb. Typical scene:

Jamie Kennedy: "In every horror movie, teenagers who say 'I'll be back' are killed!"
Some guy: "I'll be back!"
[Walks off, gets killed.]

But in Scream, the guy who says "I'll be back," was Matthew Lillard who
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
. In fact, he says it twice.

I was making a generalization.

[Gets killed.]

And, yeah, I do think that a movie using Betsy Palmer as some crazed history teacher who tests her students before killing them in unique ways based of notorious serial killers in history (e.g. Elizabeth Bathory, Albert Fish, or Gilles de Rais) would be pretty awesome.

Where did I say that the killer copies well-known serial killers? What if he or she just drops an anvil on the victims, like in a Wile E. Coyote cartoon?

Hmmm...

He's a part time teacher, flitting from school to school, class to class and never quite finding a niche and always putting up with the abuse that the students heaped upon his type. But one fateful day, the students went too far, and now he's going to give *them* an education. In Terror!

"I'm going to give you a little anatomy test, Jimmy. Which one of these should I cut so that you won't bleed to death? Your carotid artery or your jugular vein? (slice) Whoops. Trick question."

"Science time, Jeanette. What happens when we reduce your head's temperature to -280 C? Let's find out."

"Like my Home Ec project, Steve? I call it Filet o' your girlfriend."

He's... the Substitute Reaper! You'll be late to class... forever!

Yeah, I think that I'd watch that.

But no, there wouldn't be any ultra-cheesy slasher movie one-liners. Just really easy questions that the students are too stupid to answer, followed by dropping a cartoon anvil on their head. But they're trying to be serious.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 01:07:03 PM by Isaac »

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #67 on: May 21, 2008, 09:16:06 PM »
But, no, none of the accents slip. If you actually watched the film without the riff, you would not notice any slipping accents. The joke subconsciously plants the idea of a bad accent in your mind, and when you watch the film with a riff, if you hadn't seen it previously, you would believe that there was something wrong with the accents. I had actually seen the film before. There was never any problem with any accent.

Isaac

Are we talking Saw here or LOTR? I have been making fun of Elwes horrible "American" accent since I saw it opening night in the theater. The big emotional scene with him yelling and screaming had us laughing our asses off in the theaters.  His "American" accent is horrible in this film. Sure he doesn't  "slip" quite in to a straight British accent but his "'merican" voice wavers on the absurd. It is AWFUL. Very much like Tim Roth's in Reservoir Dogs. Saw would have been much much better if they let Elwes have his normal speaking voice.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #68 on: May 22, 2008, 02:37:14 AM »
Alls I can say about Mathew Lillard is he made a great Shaggy.

Zoinks!

I want to go back in time after he made SLC Punk and say "do more of those, less Scooby Dos and 13 Ghosts"

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2008, 11:51:37 AM »
But, no, none of the accents slip. If you actually watched the film without the riff, you would not notice any slipping accents. The joke subconsciously plants the idea of a bad accent in your mind, and when you watch the film with a riff, if you hadn't seen it previously, you would believe that there was something wrong with the accents. I had actually seen the film before. There was never any problem with any accent.

Are we talking Saw here or LOTR? I have been making fun of Elwes horrible "American" accent since I saw it opening night in the theater. The big emotional scene with him yelling and screaming had us laughing our asses off in the theaters.  His "American" accent is horrible in this film. Sure he doesn't  "slip" quite in to a straight British accent but his "'merican" voice wavers on the absurd. It is AWFUL. Very much like Tim Roth's in Reservoir Dogs.

I didn't notice anything wrong with either of those accents. What was the problem?

Saw would have been much much better if they let Elwes have his normal speaking voice.

Or, the character was written as American and Elwes was the best actor for the part?

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2008, 02:42:06 PM »

Are we talking Saw here or LOTR? I have been making fun of Elwes horrible "American" accent since I saw it opening night in the theater. The big emotional scene with him yelling and screaming had us laughing our asses off in the theaters.  His "American" accent is horrible in this film. Sure he doesn't  "slip" quite in to a straight British accent but his "'merican" voice wavers on the absurd. It is AWFUL. Very much like Tim Roth's in Reservoir Dogs.

I didn't notice anything wrong with either of those accents. What was the problem?

Saw would have been much much better if they let Elwes have his normal speaking voice.

Or, the character was written as American and Elwes was the best actor for the part?

The accents sound stilted and fake. It is like they have to concentrate on the accent instead of acting so the acting suffers. When I saw Reservoir Dogs when it came out I was not familiar with Tim Roth. The first thing I said to myself is what is wrong with his voice because it didn't sound natural to me, especially during emotional scenes. Maybe I am just overly sensitive to sounds but when it don't sound right it takes away from the movie for me.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #71 on: May 23, 2008, 12:00:49 AM »
I don't know what is puzzling me more, that fact that Issac couldn't hear that bad accent or the fact that he seems to be taking it personally they everyone else on the planet did.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #72 on: May 23, 2008, 05:58:20 PM »
I don't know what is puzzling me more, that fact that Issac couldn't hear that bad accent or the fact that he seems to be taking it personally they everyone else on the planet did.

Most people didn't hear any "bad accents": That is, everyone who isn't imagining things.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2008, 06:01:29 PM by Isaac »

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #73 on: May 23, 2008, 09:18:21 PM »

Most people didn't hear any "bad accents": That is, everyone who isn't imagining things.

I must be imagining things again then.
On timeout

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #74 on: May 24, 2008, 04:07:32 AM »
I learned that Billy Loomis and Stuart Macher are the best horror film couple

flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT