login

Author Topic: What have we learned?  (Read 26109 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
Re: What have we learned?
« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2008, 04:56:28 PM »
I learned that people in bad horror movies are really, really, REALLY stupid.

You WISH you made a movie as good as Saw. You know fully well that none of the characters behaved stupidly.

I can't make a movie like Saw because I'm not good at making movies and if I tried to make a movie like Saw, it would look like Saw, which was not a good movie in my opinion.

I respectfully have to disagree with you about the characters being stupid. It's a known fact that in gory horror movies like this, the characters have to be semi-mentally challenged or there isn't much of a movie (under most directors, at least. There are a few horror movies with competent victims). Granted, most of us would be mightily mentally challenged too if we were stuck in the same scenarios the characters are in because the Fight or Flight response overrides higher brain functions. However, you've seen how other folks on this forum have picked apart all the brain dead actions the characters in Saw employed, everything from breaking the chain around the piping to the two cops going into Jigsaw's hideout with no backup or warrant, so I don't feel I have to break down why the characters are so stupid in this movie.

But man, I admire your determination to defend this wreck of a movie. I say this not in a patronizing spirit, but one of genuine admiration.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2008, 05:17:32 PM »
What the hell?  That dude was totally slipping into his accent!  If you listened to the riff they even specifically pointed out cases where he did it.  Duh.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #47 on: May 21, 2008, 11:13:36 AM »
Saw came out at a really good time and changed horror for the better. After the (awful) film Scream came out, there were all these lame rip-offs that tried to imitate the film's poor attempt at being "clever" and self-referential. As this trend was dying out, it was replaced by mostly-shoddy PG-13 remakes of Asian horror films. Saw helped bring in some true horror films, and was actually a good film in itself. The idea of a killer that doesn't perform the killings himself, instead to allow the victims to harm themselves for failing to figure out the traps that have been set for them, is truly original and clever. This is a great horror film.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #48 on: May 21, 2008, 11:17:14 AM »
What the hell?  That dude was totally slipping into his accent!  If you listened to the riff they even specifically pointed out cases where he did it.  Duh.

They have to have something to make fun of. Like the Scottish accent in The Lord of the Rings. Mike actually liked the film, so he didn't think it was as over-the-top as he made it out to be in his riff (I did. He's in denial).

But, no, none of the accents slip. If you actually watched the film without the riff, you would not notice any slipping accents. The joke subconsciously plants the idea of a bad accent in your mind, and when you watch the film with a riff, if you hadn't seen it previously, you would believe that there was something wrong with the accents. I had actually seen the film before. There was never any problem with any accent.

Isaac

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #49 on: May 21, 2008, 11:17:29 AM »
Saw came out at a really good time and changed horror for the better. After the (awful) film Scream came out, there were all these lame rip-offs that tried to imitate the film's poor attempt at being "clever" and self-referential. As this trend was dying out, it was replaced by mostly-shoddy PG-13 remakes of Asian horror films. Saw helped bring in some true horror films, and was actually a good film in itself. The idea of a killer that doesn't perform the killings himself, instead to allow the victims to harm themselves for failing to figure out the traps that have been set for them, is truly original and clever. This is a great horror film.

I agree with you on many points, especially that this film rejuvenated what had become a very lame genre, but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't have its flaws.  I've seen the movie many times and DEFINITELY noticed some accent slippage.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #50 on: May 21, 2008, 11:37:26 AM »
The idea of a killer that doesn't perform the killings himself, instead to allow the victims to harm themselves for failing to figure out the traps that have been set for them, is truly original and clever.

Except, Seven did that 9 years earlier.

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2008, 11:45:47 AM »
I agree with you on many points, especially that this film rejuvenated what had become a very lame genre, but that certainly doesn't mean it didn't have its flaws.  I've seen the movie many times and DEFINITELY noticed some accent slippage.

Pssssst.... Courtney.  You're obviously right, but if I were you I wouldn't work too hard trying to prove it.  I've come to the conclusion that Isaac might possibly be slightly unhinged.

And in the grand tradition of not practicing what I preach, I will add that Scream was a fine film, and a breath of fresh air for its time, too.  Don't blame the original for the shitty copycats that rode its coattails.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 11:49:42 AM by Steve-O »

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #52 on: May 21, 2008, 11:50:44 AM »
The idea of a killer that doesn't perform the killings himself, instead to allow the victims to harm themselves for failing to figure out the traps that have been set for them, is truly original and clever.

Except, Seven did that 9 years earlier.

That wasn't what Se7en was about. It was about a killer whose victims' deaths are related to the "seven deadly sins".

Offline Courtney

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2008, 11:54:01 AM »

Pssssst.... Courtney.  You're obviously right, but if I were you I wouldn't work too hard trying to prove it.  I've come to the conclusion that Isaac might possibly be slightly unhinged.

I was inspired by Tyrant's thoughtful and respectful reply from earlier, I couldn't resist giving it a shot myself.  You'll notice that mine is vastly shorter.  I'm not very good at it.

Offline DarthChimay

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • How can a Pope be such a hottie?
« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2008, 11:55:55 AM »

Oh, and Scream was a fine film, and a breath of fresh air for its time, too.  Don't blame the original for the shitty copycats that rode its coattails.

I watched Scream just the other night. It still holds up pretty well. I thought it held up better than Saw did. Granted, Rose McGowan's tight sweaters in High Definition sweetened the pot.

Offline Courtney

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2008, 11:58:08 AM »

Oh, and Scream was a fine film, and a breath of fresh air for its time, too.  Don't blame the original for the shitty copycats that rode its coattails.

I watched Scream just the other night. It still holds up pretty well. I thought it held up better than Saw did. Granted, Rose McGowan's tight sweaters in High Definition sweetened the pot.

Whatever happened to Matthew Lillard?  I thought he was the bees knees back in '96.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 12:03:41 PM »

How dare you say that I'm slightly unhinged! I'll kill you! I'll kill all of you! ;) :D ;D

I'm kidding.

Scream was a fine film, and a breath of fresh air for its time, too.  Don't blame the original for the shitty copycats that rode its coattails.

I found Scream and its sequel to be really, really dumb. Typical scene:

Jamie Kennedy: "In every horror movie, teenagers who say 'I'll be back' are killed!"
Some guy: "I'll be back!"
[Walks off, gets killed.]

It's the same scene over and over again, occasionally with the killer calling up some dopey teen and asking them trivial questions that they are not always likely to know (like the killer in Friday the 13th). Imagine if the killer instead asked them about history. Would it be scary or hilarious to watch some moron trying to figure out who assassinated Abe Lincoln to avoid having his throat cut open?

Idiot: Uh....uh..... who's Abraham Lincoln again? Is he the lead singer of Linkin Park?
[Gets killed.]

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2008, 12:06:16 PM »
I was inspired by Tyrant's thoughtful and respectful reply from earlier, I couldn't resist giving it a shot myself.

Many have tried.  All have failed.

Whatever happened to Matthew Lillard?  I thought he was the bees knees back in '96.

Two words: "Zoinks, Scoob!"
« Last Edit: May 21, 2008, 12:09:27 PM by Steve-O »

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• "SMOG INSPECTION!"
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2008, 12:11:44 PM »
Whatever happened to Matthew Lillard?

Uwe Boll happened to Matthew Lillard.

Offline Courtney

« Reply #59 on: May 21, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »

Two words: "Zoinks, Scoob!"

Ooh, yeah, blocked that out.  I generally block out James Gunn's involvement as well.