login

Author Topic: Any chance of getting one for the unrated release?  (Read 10729 times)

Offline mkelehan

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
Any chance of getting one for the unrated release?
« on: May 13, 2008, 05:22:23 PM »
I'd imagine most of us sick folk who like this sort of thing have the unrated version, which of course won't synch up thanks to a couple extra minutes.  Any chance we'll get a version of the track timed to match up with that?

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 23
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
Re: Any chance of getting one for the unrated release?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2008, 05:48:17 PM »
id like ot second this request, although i dont own it if i were to get it i dont want to own the rated cut.
MICROPHONE MANIAC COMING SOON!!
Promo Featurette: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vzYR6_-UqE

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 356
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2008, 06:31:44 PM »
the difference is meant to be like 8 seconds.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 06:39:54 PM »
i like using hte player so it would not work then though

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 972
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 06:45:31 PM »
Good news. Since I own the unrated version , I decided to not bother renting the rated version and just watched the Rifftrax using that. I didn't notice any more drift in the trax than usual. And having just done the Audacity/Rifftrax combine thing, the synch lines line up throughout the film. I had to add half a second in at one point as towards the middle, the movie audio gets a beat ahead of the Rifftrax, but that was it.  You shouldn't have any problems watching the Rifftrax with the unrated version.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 01:22:41 PM »
Good news. Since I own the unrated version , I decided to not bother renting the rated version and just watched the Rifftrax using that. I didn't notice any more drift in the trax than usual. And having just done the Audacity/Rifftrax combine thing, the synch lines line up throughout the film. I had to add half a second in at one point as towards the middle, the movie audio gets a beat ahead of the Rifftrax, but that was it.  You shouldn't have any problems watching the Rifftrax with the unrated version.

Mine jumped out of synch, not even 3 minutes into the movie by at least a half a second.  I didn't bother trying to resynch the rest.  Maybe if you reauthor and can check the synch lines it'll be ok but I don't recommend trying it live.

Offline Prince of Space

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 3
  • Your weapons have no effect on me!
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2008, 10:19:24 PM »
I definitely need to agree. Most hard core movie fans are not going to be buying theatrical releases and rated releases when a director's cut or unrated version exists. I was thinking about making this post yesterday and then they announce The Two Towers also is a theatrical release. No true fan is going to own the theatrical Lord of the Rings set. I would really recommend to start considering using the unrated and extended cuts. Is it to be more family friendly? I mean with Saw how could it be? Now I gotta go find where the differences are between Saw theatrical and unrated.

Offline Isaac S.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
  • The Gun Alarm Clock: You Snooze, You Lose.
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2008, 10:33:49 PM »
I definitely need to agree. Most hard core movie fans are not going to be buying theatrical releases and rated releases when a director's cut or unrated version exists. I was thinking about making this post yesterday and then they announce The Two Towers also is a theatrical release. No true fan is going to own the theatrical Lord of the Rings set. I would really recommend to start considering using the unrated and extended cuts. Is it to be more family friendly? I mean with Saw how could it be? Now I gotta go find where the differences are between Saw theatrical and unrated.

I would assume it has more to do with time (not overstaying their welcome, not having to write riffs for four hours' worth of movie) and, perhaps more importantly, availability (read: profitability).  "True fans" may not buy theatrical releases if there are other options out there, but I'd venture to say that more copies of the theatrical versions exist on average people's shelves and it's those off-the-shelf types of films that sell the most riffs because it's those average people who buy them.  I buy every riff and buy the movie to match it if I don't already own it, but most people are more selective.  It's more likely that those more selective folks will have a theatrical cut than an extended or unrated cut already on their shelves (especially if the theatrical was released first), which makes the decision to buy the riff that much easier.

Offline gojikranz

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • im baaaack
    • my facebook?
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2008, 11:43:09 PM »
i dont mind so much with two towers but supposedly the difference for saw is very minimal so it couldnt have taken more time.  and id hazard to guess more people who own the film own the unrated version becuase if your gonna get a movie like saw you oughta jsut go for the whole thing.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 01:48:00 AM »
Or you bought it when it first came out and didn't feel like double dipping 8 months later when the unrated came out.  There are more copies of the theatrical version floating around than the later double dips.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:16:39 AM by MrTorso »
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 89
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 08:50:20 AM »
Netflix carries the rated version of Saw.  Plenty of people seemed to have the theatrical cut of the first LOTR movie as well.  There's always the option of doing the expanded ones in the future.

We do consider the availability and ease to obtain of the movies.

Offline Indomitus

• Big Montana
  • Hang on, gotta answer my iPOG
    • vox.neoleo.net  (a work in progress)
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 09:56:00 AM »
We do consider the availability and ease to obtain of the movies.

Yeah, I seem to remember that being discussed at length here in the forum fairly early in Rifftrax's existence.

I'm one of those people who had the theatrical releases early on, but then upgraded to the extended versions.  If I remember right, I think I gave the other ones to my sister, or a cousin or something.  Whatever.  I don't mind renting or trying to find a used copy of it again.  It's a good movie, and the Rifftrax is usually worth it to me.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 09:57:49 AM by Indomitus »

Offline countv

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Sexy Hitler
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 04:48:00 AM »
I had to do some rifftrax surgery for my uncut version of Saw. There doesn't seem to be much added. At least no dialogue anyway. There are like 5 or 6 unserts (flashes) of footage that pepper the uncut version. It could definately be done by the rifftrax guys but I don't know if they need to with a little effort most people could either cut it themselves or re-sync when you notice something is a bit off. The riffing and dialogue in Saw is very "call and response" so it's easy to notice when anything loses sync. You could watch the uncut version with the theatrical rifftrax without much of a problem. All depends where you're watching and listening to it. If it's your PC (not the rifftrax player) then it wouldn't be an issue. Anywhere else and you might want to consider your laziness.  ;)

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2008, 03:49:54 AM »
People get all uppity whenever there's a Rifftrax for a different version than they own, like in this case.

Here's a nutty idea; rent the version Rifftrax uses.  If you want to keep it forever and ever and ever, do a reauthor.  I've done that with every single Rifftrax I bought, and it's not that tough.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2008, 08:32:20 AM »
There's another option too.  Check out your local used book/DVD stores. I found six copies of the LOTR theatrical version sitting there on the shelf for 4 bucks a pop.  That's no more than a dollar more than the rental even at the cheapo rental places.  I also saw the theatrical Saw for the same price but didn't buy it since rentals cost me nothing and I see no reason to own that turd.

What I didn't find?  The bonus/long/unrated versions of these movies.  What happens is when people buy the bigger versions they run to the used places and sell their old versions.  A year or two later the price has dropped way down.

So their system works as far as I'm concerned.
"Did she just say Chipping?"