Author Topic: Trekies and Religious fundamentalists  (Read 7816 times)

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 16
Trekies and Religious fundamentalists
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:34:45 PM »
Both seem to lack a sense of humor. It's a good thing they haven't riffed the Koran or bible. At least most Trekies aren't violent (if they can even fight).
« Last Edit: May 09, 2008, 07:39:49 PM by pstokely »

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Re: Trekies and Religious fundamentalists
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 09:39:23 PM »
There are always die hard fans of ANYTHING that take themselves and their fandom WAY too seriously. I'm sure there are Star Wars fans that would not appreciate the prequel Rifftrax, too.

I happen to be a fan of Star Trek, and have enjoyed the New Voyages series. They're hokey, sure, but you can appreciate them if you take them in the proper spirit. AND I fully enjoyed the Rifftrax for this episode. So, I'm not about to get a bunch of guys dressed as Klingons to pummel you with their Bat'leths... well, not for making that post, anyway. Might be fun to watch just for the heck of it.  :P

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2008, 10:25:17 PM »
There are always die hard fans of ANYTHING that take themselves and their fandom WAY too seriously.

Too true.  We've even got Rifftrax fans that take things too seriously!

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 11:30:43 PM »
Too true.  We've even got Rifftrax fans that take things too seriously!

TAKE THAT BACK!!!!!   :grr:  RIFFTRAX SHOULD ALWAYS BE TAKEN SERIOUSLY!!!   :angry:
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Insert Coin(s) to Continue

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
    • Insert Coin(s) to Continue
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 11:31:22 PM »
It would be fun to hear a RiffTrax on one of the cheesier Bible movies like The Ten Commandments. Nothing like Passion of the Christ that would offend people, but just some old-timey Israeli fun!

Offline Sheik Yerbouti

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2008, 12:49:57 AM »
Sure, they've pissed off Star Trek fans but think of the publicity you'd get by being condemned by the Catholic church!  :)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2008, 04:38:49 AM »
well why not riff broke back mountain and get banned by the gay rights movement?  Same basic principle. 

by the way die hard sports fans are at least as annoying as trekkies. 

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2008, 02:57:44 PM »
well why not riff broke back mountain and get banned by the gay rights movement?  Same basic principle. 

by the way die hard sports fans are at least as annoying as trekkies. 

at least Kansas Chickenhawks fans are

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2008, 08:27:53 PM »
try living in san antonio.  The spurs are basically treated as saints.

Offline Road_Element

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 51
  • The Names Servo, Tom Servo
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2008, 12:00:17 AM »
Im a star trek fan and while i wasn't thrilled with them doing the movies (especially Star Trek 6) . This somehow kinda has it coming. Mainly because really cheesy and bad acting. Even tho the idea isnt totally bad. I cant escape the feeling that this was done in somebody garage somewhere with someones most trek out trekie friends that go to the san diego convention ever year and while i do like star trek. I dont like it that much. But i would have to disagree with you with Trekies and Religious fundamentalists. Most Religious fundamentalist fight about  gays or stem cells. The worst thing your hear trekies fight about is who was the better captain Kirk or Picard. Anyways i think most fans of star trek fans can take a joke. I guess i depends on how hard core a fan you are. Presonally one of my favorite movies is Galaxy Quest and that was nothing but a parody of star trek.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2008, 12:21:22 AM by Road_Element »

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2008, 02:32:19 PM »
Im a star trek fan and while i wasn't thrilled with them doing the movies (especially Star Trek 6) . This somehow kinda has it coming. Mainly because really cheesy and bad acting. Even tho the idea isnt totally bad. I cant escape the feeling that this was done in somebody garage somewhere with someones most trek out trekie friends that go to the san diego convention ever year and while i do like star trek. I dont like it that much. But i would have to disagree with you with Trekies and Religious fundamentalists. Most Religious fundamentalist fight about  gays or stem cells. The worst thing your hear trekies fight about is who was the better captain Kirk or Picard. Anyways i think most fans of star trek fans can take a joke. I guess i depends on how hard core a fan you are. Presonally one of my favorite movies is Galaxy Quest and that was nothing but a parody of star trek.

I think the point was that Trekkies will debate about Picard vs Kirk with the same amount of passion that religious groups will debate about gays and/or stem cells. In this way, they're very much alike. Where they differ is obvious. I can understand the lack of humor in religious groups because what they debate is rather important and has some bearing on our society whether you agree with them or not (although a sense of humor about themselves would definitely help their case). That the same amount of passion and lack of humor can be invested in a debate about which model of Enterprise was better or which of Seven of 9's catsuits was sexier indicates an unhealthy level of fandom to me. Although this kind of obsessive, self important fandom can be found anywhere for anything, Trekkies were probably one of the first groups to be the modern example which has since become the definition.

A nice example: I read an article in the newspaper years ago about a medical doctor in San Antonio who, kid you not, actually put his fictional Star Fleet title and rank from the Official Star Trek Fan Club on his formal business cards.

And yes, Galaxy Quest was an awesome movie.  :)

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2008, 06:34:50 PM »

BLOOD AND FIRE!!!!
 ;D
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2645
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2008, 07:34:23 PM »
Although this kind of obsessive, self important fandom can be found anywhere for anything, Trekkies were probably one of the first groups to be the modern example which has since become the definition.

And yes, Galaxy Quest was an awesome movie.  :)

You're probably right about them being the first, did any other program have conventions before Star Trek?  Those conventions started back in the early 70's.

Galaxy Quest is great, now that's how you poke fun at a sub culture....  Best line, before they go into the chompers: "Well forget it! I'm not doing it! This episode was badly written!"

Just finished watching all the New Voyages.  The first one was indeed the worst, terrible in every way.  I think the second one had the best story.  I'm surprised the 3rd one, written by D.C. Fontana was not a better story (and the end makes no sense in the Trek time-line).  Can't wait for Kevin and Bill to tear that one up, the endless scenes with Chekhov talking to himself might rank up there with "sandstorm". 

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2008, 10:03:57 PM »
I agree with Sarc about the sports fans. There's a guy in my department who thinks it's hilarious that I have action figures, but all he EVER talks about is sports.  He doesn't even talk about school, he talks about sports.

Yeah, hilarious. Asshat.

I walk in both worlds.  I'm a super nerd sports fan.  Which means I get annoyed by twice as many fan groups as most people.
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline pstokely

• Big Montana
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2008, 10:25:31 PM »
Do they have gay weddings at the Star Trek Experience in vegas?