Author Topic: Dark Water Audio Sync Issue  (Read 3416 times)

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
Dark Water Audio Sync Issue
« on: May 09, 2008, 07:06:36 PM »
I have had a heck of time making a re-author for Dark Water. 

(Note: The film audio shows 0ms delay when decrypted)

I put the riff and movie audio together but went I put the dvd together the audio was out of sync by almost a half.  I tried adding a delay (trying both positive and minus ms multiple times up to 5000ms) but it didn't seem to make any difference.

Then I went back to just the video with plain audio and it was also out of sync.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this?

(Programs used: DVD Decrypter, Gold Wave, ffmpeg, delaycut, ifoEdit, dvdshrink)
Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline Artie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 293
  • The strongest man.... in the world!
    • The Film Monger
Re: Dark Water Audio Sync Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2008, 10:45:45 PM »
Well I got ir to work.

In case I'm not the only one with this problem here's what I did

1 - ran movie audio through delaycut (with no changes)
2 - ran movie audio through delaycut again (with audio from completed step 1) this time with +8950ms delay (found by trying different time amounts and narrowing it down) It's not a perfect fit but it's close enough not to be an issue.
3 - Did everything else as normal (taking into account the time delay in finding sync lines, etc)

Yet another movie website - www.filmmonger.com

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2008, 11:20:59 PM »
Thank you!!  I will try the delay cut amount you put in and see how that works.
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline TheUnabeefer

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 937
  • I am a flying cow... worship me or DIE!!!
    • The Unabeefer Beefs
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2008, 10:59:08 AM »
Hmmm, that didn't work.  I am gonna dick around in Audacity, adding little bits of silence and see how that works.

[edit] I cut 1.6 seconds off the end of the wave file, shoved it in at the very beginning, and that seems to sync quite well...  I was at work while I did that, but it seemed to be dead on. [/edit]
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 05:17:54 PM by TheUnabeefer »
...and there he was, reigning supreme at number two.  The One... The Only... The Unabeefer.

Offline Isaac S.

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
  • The Gun Alarm Clock: You Snooze, You Lose.
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2008, 05:27:37 PM »
Yeah, I'm having the same problem.  Currently working on a fix.  Just inserting silence at the beginning of the file, but now I'm fine-tuning exactly how much to put in.  Glad to see I'm not the only one.

UPDATE: I ended up inserting 1.012 seconds of silence at the beginning, and now you'd never know the difference.

UPDATE #2: Upon closer inspection, that tweak didn't hold up perfectly throughout the whole movie.  It seemed to drift a bit.  Very strange.  I could probably have taken out another 1/2 second or so somewhere around the middle.  It wasn't so bad that I'm going to redo it (again), but it was noticeable to me, likely only because I was looking for it.  Not the first time this has happened to me when reauthoring, but the last time, I think, was for Lord of the Rings, which was about a million years ago.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2008, 11:37:48 PM by Isaac S. »

Offline Yalloglanchie

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
I noticed the same problem, and fixed it
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2008, 11:44:17 AM »
Very strange problem...I don't know why it's happened with this movie, but I had the same problem with the audio track being off. Here's the list of software I use for ripping, syncing, and burning:

DVD Decrypter
Delaycut
BeLight
Audacity
FFMPEGGUI
MuxMan
NeroStartSmart

To fix the problem, I did everything like I normally do, but when I got to Audacity, after I had synced up the Rifftrax and removed all the Disembaudio lines, I selected about 1 second of silence at the end of all 6 of the movie audio tracks, cut it, and then pasted it at the very beginning of ALL 7 of the audio tracks -- including the Rifftrax track (it turned out to be 1.027 seconds long). I then finished up with my usual standard procedure, and the movie's audio ended up being perfectly synched to the video all the way through.

I hope somebody finds that at least mildly helpful...

Offline stirrell

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2008, 07:17:32 AM »
Hmmm, that didn't work.  I am gonna dick around in Audacity, adding little bits of silence and see how that works.

[edit] I cut 1.6 seconds off the end of the wave file, shoved it in at the very beginning, and that seems to sync quite well...  I was at work while I did that, but it seemed to be dead on. [/edit]

I used this method and it worked wonderfully. Thanks so much for the suggestion! This was driving me crazy.  :)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2008, 08:53:46 PM »
Hey lads...

As you have probably guessed by now, Dark Water has 'special' copy protection...this is whats causing the audio sync issues.

The fastest, cheapest (free), easiest way to rip Dark Water, is by using RipIt4Me. You will need to have DVD Decrypter installed too, as RipIt4Me uses it.

All I did was Rip the "movie only" with RipIt4Me and then used ReJig in IFO mode to demux the M2V and AC3 file....thats it!
Movie is in perfect sync and I didn't have to mess with any audio delay.

Offline odie5533

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 03:26:47 AM »
Might I also recommend DVDFab. I'm not sure what copy protection Dark Water has but I've yet to hear of one that DVDFab can't beat. It has a free version, but only free as in beer.

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 05:19:56 AM »
Yep, DVDFab works too. But you are right, the free version is limited; it will only allow you to rip the entire DVD. But, then you could use ReJig in IFO mode to demux the M2V and AC3 file.

Offline ambitiously stupid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • I'm not a nerd. Nerds are smart.
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2008, 04:47:58 PM »
All I did was Rip the "movie only" with RipIt4Me and then used ReJig in IFO mode to demux the M2V and AC3 file....thats it!
Movie is in perfect sync and I didn't have to mess with any audio delay.

Do you rip it to a DVD-R and then use it in ReJig in IFO mode?  Or do you just use the files in ReJig in IFO mode?  And if you just use the files do you just click IFO mode?  Because when I do that it looks for a DVD in the disk drive.

When punks start hasslin' decent people, I make it my buisness!

Listen Murdock, I'm sick and tired of your dead lobster...

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2008, 08:40:49 PM »
I used the files that it rips to the hard drive.
Then open ReJig and click "IFO Mode", then click "ADD" and search for the IFO file that gets ripped with the movie.

Offline ambitiously stupid

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • I'm not a nerd. Nerds are smart.
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
Thanks again gammer!  Do you leave the "Correct AC3 delay"  checked in Rejig IFO mode?
When punks start hasslin' decent people, I make it my buisness!

Listen Murdock, I'm sick and tired of your dead lobster...

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2008, 06:44:32 PM »
Thanks again gammer!  Do you leave the "Correct AC3 delay"  checked in Rejig IFO mode?

NO! I don't ever use that one.
I personally have had issues with it.
As I've mentioned before, I just manually correct the delay with GoldWave after I'm done all my mixing.

Offline Shinigami

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 11:53:56 AM »
I had the same problem and adding 1.6 secs fixed it for me.  I'm uploading corrected subtitles since those seemed to be off by 1.6 seconds too.