Author Topic: star trek phase2 reception  (Read 27163 times)

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Re: star trek phase2 reception
« Reply #60 on: May 11, 2008, 05:24:10 PM »
All I know is I got to spend most of the time lying on the floor while girls danced around me.

To steal a riff from "Manos", somehow, I have a feeling that was the only reason your movie was made.  ;)

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2518
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #61 on: May 11, 2008, 05:26:08 PM »
All I know is I got to spend most of the time lying on the floor while girls danced around me.

To steal a riff from "Manos", somehow, I have a feeling that was the only reason your movie was made.  ;)

And yet it wasn't my idea at all.  Just a lucky day I guess.   ;D
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

nummy muffin

« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2008, 07:49:35 PM »
My first short film was one of the WORST pieces of crap ever made.  Dude, it was set on a space station but we filmed it in an office so you could see the sunny blue sky outside the windows! It was awful and I'd never let ANYone ever watch it these days ... with one exception.  I'd love for Mike and Bots to riff it.

Please post the vids.  Pretty, pretty please?  Insanely gorgeous please?

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2008, 07:58:32 PM »
I will if he will.  His video sounds awesome!  LOL
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2008, 08:08:08 AM »
Hey, that's fine... It was just my initial gut reaction... that's all. I'll admit that I'm not always the best when it comes to using tact in my responses... But still... with the entire movie world as their oyster... I think it's sort of a bummer that they go after an amatuer project. I understand the idea of selling an "all in one / no synching required" product is probably a priority of theirs... but man... riffing fan projects? It just strikes me as the cool kids at prom making fun of the wheelchair kid because he's a shitty dancer....

See, for me personally, Mike and the Bots have never come from that mean point of view.  They may be harsh with people for all sorts of reasons, but they're just as harsh with themselves.  Mike and Kevin both savage themselves in their non fiction books, but it's no more mean spirited than they are with anyone else.  For me, intent means everything and I just don't believe any of the Big Three have a mean bone in their bodies.  Plenty of funny bones, but no mean bones.  So I see it as an unparalleled honor for this fan film to be riffed, not an insult or something hurtful.

My first short film was one of the WORST pieces of crap ever made.  Dude, it was set on a space station but we filmed it in an office so you could see the sunny blue sky outside the windows! It was awful and I'd never let ANYone ever watch it these days ... with one exception.  I'd love for Mike and Bots to riff it.  Shit, I'd let them riff it free and they could charge whatever they wanted for it.  I think any MST3K and/or Rifftrax fan would feel the same way.  Now, if they were a bunch of mean ass clowns, then no.  That'd be different.

Well, I am not going to get into their motivations.. or whether the fact that they have a self-depricating sense of humor somehow cancels out their snide comments on some karmic scale...  I don't think Mike and friends are mean-spirited ogres by any means... but I think a good amount of the fans, myself included, gain at least a little entertainment when they turn the knife a little bit on overblown or just embarassingly bad movies and the people responsible for them. It comes with the territory. There are indeed mean bones in their bodies and ours.... otherwise none of us would find their product as consistently funny as we do. We all take away some satisfaction in laughing at the shortcomings of others... That is one of the cornerstones of why riffing works. It's hardly the only thing... but it's an undeniable factor as far as I'm concerned. Sometimes they have gone too far with the venom (see Ep1 riff) but most of the time, it's all in good fun and I am hardly trying to say that they are "mean ass clowns".

All of that said, I just don't think it's in good taste making money by basically exploiting a volunteer based project. Whether the makers of this particular subject are fans of riffing or whether or not they are honored by getting riffed isn't really the point for me. I just think this is a slippery slope... riffing on amateur efforts so you can package an 'all-in-one" product on the cheap. (Granted, I don't know if that is the case... maybe these phase2 guys are getting a cut of the proceeds... I don't claim to be "in the know" with the business dealings and whatnot... just like I said earlier... my general gut reactions... take them as you will)

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2008, 09:02:29 AM »
Well yea.. I was trying to speak in more general terms... not so much in regards to the specifics of this work. I'm sure it's hilarious... and I would have to imagine that they wouldn't savage the thing. Like I said, I don't think that Mike and friends are ogres. Just the whole idea of riffing on volunteer work for a profit doesn't sit right with me, regardless if their script had nothing but the best of intentions. It's not about criticizing or praising this particular effort.

Let's not mince words... Rifftrax, MST3K, CT, ICWXP, RiffRaff, etc all exploit / have exploited movies for money. If the movies don't exist, the riffs don't exist. Going after other professionals is one thing. Most of the time, unless you are looking at ancient product that has fallen into public domain, the creative and/or financial stakeholders get a cut. Either movie rights are paid for or sales/rentals of DVDs rise accordingly. (I doubt many of us already owned Eragon or Glitter or Dr.Moreau). None of that is the case here... at least as I would understand things... and that's what doesn't sit right. It's not about the jokes themsevles.

I have no problem being in the minority on my feelings on this... I am not trying to throw anybody under the bus or stand on some high horse. Sometimes I am not going to agree with something they do... and this is the place to discuss such things. I would be remiss if I didn't take the opportunity to lay out my opinions. They aren't always going to be sunshine and bunnies and pats on the butt for a job well done.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2008, 12:45:14 PM »
I get what you're saying Nun and I think it's a valid take.  It's not my take by any means but I can understand someone having this take.

Oh, and since I haven't stated it yet today: The people running the Phase 2 message board are douches.  Ahhhhhh, I feel better now. :P

Offline gabesword

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
I'm suprised that Rifftrax is offering a synced up version of this.  I have no problem with them riffing on it, and I'm looking forward to hearing it.  It seems to me though, that they don't have any right to distribute the video.

Upon checking the Phase II website they say that the show will be distributed from their official streaming video sites or their official video mirror sites.  They also ask that fans not redistribute their work elsewhere on the internet.

CBS/Paramount owns the copyrights on things like the Star Trek logo and the characters used in the production.  They have given permission for the Star Trek Phase II folks to use the CBS/Paramount intellectual property.  I doubt they have given Legend Films the same permissions, though I could definitely be wrong there.

Rifftrax has asked that users don't redistribute their work without permission.  I personally don't think that they should redistribute the Phase II stuff without permission.  Just do the normal .mp3 thing like they did with the Star Wars Holiday Special.

With all of that said, I really am looking forward to checking out the riffs on these Phase II episodes.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2008, 02:17:32 PM »
I wasn't surprised gabesword because it was a courtesy syncing that rifftrax did as a favor to its fans.  Rifftrax does this all the time, going the extra mile to make things as convenient as possible for us.  Since I have a mac the rifftraxplayer thing doesn't work for me so every single movie I watch I have to go through the huge pain in the ass of syncing up the video.  It's surprising how much of a difference even a half second can make on whether or not something is funny and sometimes it can take as much as the first ten minutes of the movie to get it just right unless I want to keep going back to the beginning.  Sometimes its enough of a pain in the ass that I'm irritated for the next 10-20 minutes and don't enjoy the trax as much as I should.

So I actually like the shorts better because they come already synced up.  If the shorts didn't come already synced I wouldn't buy them because it could take the entire 5 minute short to sync the fucking thing up and it's not worth it.

These Phase Two films are longer, so I'd probably still buy them if they weren't synced, but boy was I glad to see they were already synced.  Saved me a LOT of trouble and irritation.  So thank you Rifftrax.  Thanks for syncing it for me and thanks for not bowing to the pressure of the unstoppable constant wave of bitching we've been enduring for the past week since it came out.

PS.  Yeah, yeah, I know I should learn how to the do the DVD reauthor thing and if it looks like we're never getting a macrifftraxplayer, I probably will eventually.

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #69 on: May 12, 2008, 05:49:20 PM »
I'm suprised that Rifftrax is offering a synced up version of this.  I have no problem with them riffing on it, and I'm looking forward to hearing it.  It seems to me though, that they don't have any right to distribute the video.

Upon checking the Phase II website they say that the show will be distributed from their official streaming video sites or their official video mirror sites.  They also ask that fans not redistribute their work elsewhere on the internet.

CBS/Paramount owns the copyrights on things like the Star Trek logo and the characters used in the production.  They have given permission for the Star Trek Phase II folks to use the CBS/Paramount intellectual property.  I doubt they have given Legend Films the same permissions, though I could definitely be wrong there.

Rifftrax has asked that users don't redistribute their work without permission.  I personally don't think that they should redistribute the Phase II stuff without permission.  Just do the normal .mp3 thing like they did with the Star Wars Holiday Special.

With all of that said, I really am looking forward to checking out the riffs on these Phase II episodes.

Good Idea, let's all demand a pre-synched version of the Star Wars Holiday Special
 ;D
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #70 on: May 13, 2008, 10:11:23 PM »
I see what you're getting at now.  Yeah, I suppose I agree with you in theory; but what if this draws greater attention to the works themselves? Isn't the point of fan films a) to get to make them (they're supposed to be fun) and b) for people to see them?

Well, I think that's the same flawed logic that people use to justify pirating Rifftrax.

"Oh... but I am helping Rifftrax by seeding this torrent of [insert product name here]".

Sure, they are probably right... despite the powers that be insistance otherwise, it's hard to argue with the power of torrent to get the word out...  But still, it's probably not the desired method.... having other forces control the dominant distribution methods of your product. .

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 249
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #71 on: May 13, 2008, 10:17:12 PM »
it's hard to argue with the power of torrent to get the word out...

Actually it's really easy - it's basically the opposite. I can see instances of bulletin boards that people have downloaded our tracks from, and it numbers in the thousands (of grabs). The people who are going there aren't having some epiphany of our existence (although in rare instances, this is the case) - it's more along the lines of  "Thank you! Please release [RiffTrax title] next!" and "Do more!"

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #72 on: May 13, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »

Actually it's really easy - it's basically the opposite. I can see instances of bulletin boards that people have downloaded our tracks from, and it numbers in the thousands (of grabs). The people who are going there aren't having some epiphany of our existence (although in rare instances, this is the case) - it's more along the lines of  "Thank you! Please release [RiffTrax title] next!" and "Do more!"

Well, thanks for confirming the existance of pirates.

Do you really think you are helping the Phase2 guys in their efforts? Or is it more along the lines of "Thank You! Please riff [phase2 title] next!" and "do more!"

You want to complain about losing money when the Phase2 guys were never concerned about money in the first place. Do you fail to see my point?

Offline Edward J Grug III

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3332
  • Forum Tokens Collected: 5000
    • Glorious Bounty
« Reply #73 on: May 13, 2008, 11:04:33 PM »

Well, thanks for confirming the existance of pirates.

Do you really think you are helping the Phase2 guys in their efforts? Or is it more along the lines of "Thank You! Please riff [phase2 title] next!" and "do more!"

You want to complain about losing money when the Phase2 guys were never concerned about money in the first place. Do you fail to see my point?

Wait... Your original post specifically said:

""Oh... but I am helping Rifftrax by seeding this torrent of [insert product name here]".

Sure, they are probably right... despite the powers that be insistance otherwise, it's hard to argue with the power of torrent to get the word out... "

And Torgos defended that point.

Then you start talking to him like he's a retard?

WTF man?
FINE

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #74 on: May 13, 2008, 11:28:24 PM »
As much as I'm irritated right now that Rifftrax backed down on this issue, internet pirates are total dirtbags and will burn in hell.  No slant or spin is ever going to convince me that torrent sites and other forms of piracy do anything but harm the original creative company.