login

Author Topic: star trek phase2 reception  (Read 25217 times)

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
star trek phase2 reception
« on: May 08, 2008, 09:22:04 PM »
Since i have no interest in registering there can someone tell me how we are recieved over there?

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: star trek phase2 reception
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2008, 10:20:58 PM »
Well BathTub mentioned it and got banned immediately for piracy and illegal use of their name.

So, for a fanfic of a property that isn't theirs, they sure do seem to be a little touchy.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 10:27:32 PM »
Nope. Unless I missed something.

Offline sarcasm_made_Easy

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2008, 12:38:23 AM »
well that could be a funny lawsuit. 

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2008, 01:36:34 AM »
Well BathTub mentioned it and got banned immediately for piracy and illegal use of their name.

So, for a fanfic of a property that isn't theirs, they sure do seem to be a little touchy.

I was wondering about this. I have read that they are allowed to exist and have the blessing of Paramount or whoever owns the rights by not making a profit from the video. If you guys are selling the VODs I wonder if Paramount will have a problem with it. If the Phase II guys don't like it I wonder if they will make a stink with Paramount.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline timoth1

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2008, 08:25:28 AM »
I was curious how the Rifftrax would be received over at the New Voyages forum. I did a search for "rifftrax" and "Mike Nelson" and found nothing.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2008, 08:28:58 AM »
Piracy and illegal use of their name?  Wow, that's rich.  What a bunch of morons!

I just saw the Bathtub post which had been edited to reflect his banning. :) I signed up for an account over there but they haven't let me in yet. I'll snoop and post.

I registered over there as well so I could see.  I'm going to put my favorite quote from the riff in my signature.  Let them ban me for THAT! :P
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 08:58:00 AM »
Given the first reaction at the mere mention of this over there, would it surprise anyone if they end up suing?  Not for money since they're not making any themselves, but to shut this down.  If that happens, I don't think Rifftrax would be able to sell this riff until the case is decided.  Therefore, just in case, you probably ought to go ahead and buy it and download it NOW.  It's funny as hell and I'd hate to see you miss out while this sat in court for a year.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 755
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2008, 10:24:12 AM »
I am sure they could still sell the actual Riff just not the video if Paramount get their panties in bunch.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »
I can't beleive they got one of the real actors to show up.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2008, 01:01:03 PM »

Not the only time it happened either, check out the info on the next one coming out.   ;)
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »
If there's one thing I've learned in all the years I've gone to conventions and what not, it's that Trekkies can be the most anal retentive fanboys/girls EVER. They will rip your face off for daring to poke even a little fun at the dumbest aspects of their beloved franchise. So this issue with the riff doesn't surprise me one bit.

And I say this as a casual Star Trek fan, in case anyone thinks I'm a hater.

If they were making money with these films, then we'd have cause to worry. I don't think much of anything is going to come out of this other than several irate Trekkies possibly trolling our forum here dropping negative posts. I kind of hope that happens, actually. Nothing is funnier than watching a board war online.  ;D

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2008, 01:15:42 PM »
Also, check Star Trek: Of Gods and Men which has a dozen Trek actors in it.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2008, 02:56:55 PM »

We have two different definitions of "real actor."  LMFAO!

Offline Flopsy T. Hamster

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2008, 09:30:14 PM »

Yeah, try THREE. This one has George Takei, Grace Lee Whitney, and Majel Barrett as the computer voice. "To Serve All My Days" had Walter Koenig, and was written by D.C. Fontana, one of the show's original writers. "In Harm's Way" had William Windon, Barbara Luna, and Malachi Thorne who had all guest starred on the original series.

Paramount themselves have certainly benefited from the series, as they borrowed parts of their set to use in an episode of "Star Trek:Enterprise" (the Mirror Universe episode). And James Crawley and Jeffrey Quinn have both been given roles in the upcoming J.J. Abrams "Star Trek" movie - probably cameos - but it's still a nice tip of the hat to these guys who are essentially keeping the original series alive just for the sheer love of it. It's all good fun in a "Let's put on a show right here in the barn" kind of way.