login

Author Topic: Thoughts.  (Read 12808 times)

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
Re: Thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: October 14, 2006, 07:34:43 AM »
what a worthless overly bad pile of stinky dung from a dead elephant's ass after 5 hours of rotting stinkyness!!!!

I swear, my nana made better movies and she doesnt even know how to use a cheap Wal~Mart film camera!

The TERRIBLY bad acting, cheap ass sets!.. My head nearly implodded from this filth!

God, what was I thinking?!?

(I watched the movie without the riffs! D:  )

I'm a damned man! God forgive me! Mike, save me!

Plan 9 From Outer Space is funny as hell. I'll take an Ed Wood film over any of the crappy films being produced today. I enjoyed Plan 9 six times as much as I enjoyed the Dawn of the Dead remake (sucks, sucks, SUCKS). 8)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2006, 07:53:41 AM by Isaac »
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 11:40:49 PM »
So I just watched my Legend DVD release of Plan 9. I'd never seen it before. I'd heard the stories but I had no clue just how bad a movie could get. From the cheesy UFOs on a string to the wooden acting, to the GLARING continuity errors. I'm not usually the type who notices the "In this shot he holds it in his left hand, but over here it's clearly in his right" kind of thing, it's very obviously day sometimes and night immediately afterward, then back to day. The movie just didn't care and Mike's commentary was hilarious. :^)

Offline Cap'n UKRiffer

• Big Montana
  • Leader Of The Justice Riff League Europe
« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »
So I just watched my Legend DVD release of Plan 9. I'd never seen it before. I'd heard the stories but I had no clue just how bad a movie could get. From the cheesy UFOs on a string to the wooden acting, to the GLARING continuity errors. I'm not usually the type who notices the "In this shot he holds it in his left hand, but over here it's clearly in his right" kind of thing, it's very obviously day sometimes and night immediately afterward, then back to day. The movie just didn't care and Mike's commentary was hilarious. :^)

I just loved the way Ed Wood would just stick in that same bit of footage of Bela Lugosi in every so often for no real apparent reason... Was a great film to be riffed on by Mike
In brightest day, in darkest night
No DVD shall escape their sight
Let those who tremble in bad movies light,
Beware the power, Rifftrax's might!

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #18 on: October 30, 2006, 02:46:21 PM »
And while we're at it, why was Vampira in this movie? Did she ever do anything? :^)

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
« Reply #19 on: October 30, 2006, 04:28:37 PM »
Wow...Ed Wood is like the anti-Raimi...he doesn't know how to do a damn thing.  There are six directors that everyone who goes into the film industry should study: Kubrick, Hitchcock, Raimi, & Tarantino to show them how to do it right, and the dynamic duo of Schumacher and Wood to show them how NOT to make a film.

Reused scenes & stock footage galore.  Not to mention the sudden switch between daytime and nighttime.  And couldn't he have found someone who kinda, um...LOOKED like Lugosi?  The cape just made it more obvious!

The riffs were good.  He's done better, but it's damn good riffage, on par with Pete Townshend and Keith Richards.

Best riff: "Ha!  Stupid outer space!  Get an atmosphere, you bozo!"
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2006, 12:10:03 PM »

Loved it. Loved it loved it loved it. I love cheap-o sci-fi/horror b-movies like this. Mostly for the contrast when I watch the graceful majesty that is Alien or Predator.

It's like this movie was bad, and everyone making it knew it was bad, but no one cared and made it anyway. Mike was the icing on the cake. I loved the Plans 1-8 snippits too. Reminded me heavily of the old MST3K bits they'd inject into every episode.

I suppose this shouldn't suprise me, but I thought it was funny that no one mentions how "human" the aliens appear in the movie. They didn't even try to make them look different, other than shiny jumpsuits. Hysterical.

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2006, 09:29:26 AM »
There are six directors that everyone who goes into the film industry should study: Kubrick, Hitchcock, Raimi, & Tarantino to show them how to do it right, and the dynamic duo of Schumacher and Wood to show them how NOT to make a film.

Joel Schumacher and Michael Bay are in an O.T.T. class of their own - no one matches them for indulgent bombast. Ed Wood and Uwe Boll are the real masters of inept filmmaking  :D

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2006, 07:30:19 AM »
Did anyone catch the picture change? In the scene where the woman is in bed and "Bela" enters to menace her, a picture on the wall shows some flowers. Then in the next scene it has a more modern looking picture of a family, then switches back. Is that someone at Legend films inserting themselves?

Also, I enjoyed the riffs but I felt Mike was a little too harsh on Bela. There were too many "heroin" jokes for my taste. Don't whip a dead horse, Mike.

Offline AmazingThor

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 14
  • Spam fed the Russian army
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2006, 07:31:18 AM »
Never mind about the picture, I read it on another thread! :-[

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2006, 04:13:58 PM »
Just revisited my legend dvd and man do these jokes still hold up. Easily one of my favs.  "windy in outerspace" joke had me rolling on the floor all over again.

Offline Famous Mortimer

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2006, 06:32:37 AM »
I'm amazed there are people on this board who hadn't seen it until quite recently- I first watched it when I was about 12 with my Mum and we were both rolling about laughing at it (thanks to the Medved brothers and the "Golden Turkey Awards" books).

Any film that's entertained me as much as that film has over the years can't be all bad. For any of you who've still not seen them, check out the films of Coleman Francis, MST'ed or not, if you want to see some of the worst atrocities ever committed to celluloid.

Offline Bus Taker

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 110
  • "We're a danger to ourselves and others"
    • Music site
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2007, 06:15:43 PM »
There were many fun riffs including goofs I didn't catch the first time I survived watching Plan 9.

Also, I enjoyed the riffs but I felt Mike was a little too harsh on Bela. There were too many "heroin" jokes for my taste. Don't whip a dead horse, Mike.

I agree that most riffing that makes fun of a specific attribute more than 3 or so times is annoying.  MST3K was guilty of that with baldness.  In this case, Mike had an easy opportunity to have fun with Tor as in "The Unearthly".  It didn't have to be an accurate imitation, maybe just a simple "how do Tor work gun?"  Instead it was an endless string of fat jokes.  C'mon Mike, come back to us, you have more imagination than that! ;)

Lest you think I am biased, I am fat but with a full head of hair. :)
"I can't complain but sometimes I still do, life's been good to me so far." - Joe Walsh

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2007, 09:33:52 AM »
I agree that most riffing that makes fun of a specific attribute more than 3 or so times is annoying.  MST3K was guilty of that with baldness.  In this case, Mike had an easy opportunity to have fun with Tor as in "The Unearthly".  It didn't have to be an accurate imitation, maybe just a simple "how do Tor work gun?"  Instead it was an endless string of fat jokes.  C'mon Mike, come back to us, you have more imagination than that! ;)

Good point. I thought the same thing. There's a dozen other obvious things about Tor's performance to make fun of. We can tell he's huge, Mike. We don't need you to keep pointing it out.

Offline palehorse864

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 04:49:36 PM »
They harped too much on Tor's weight, but they also managed to miss the best Tor's weight joke.  Did anyone else notice that when Tor walks through the fog at the beginning, he creates a vortex moving through it?

Still, they got a lot of great gags in.  I loved the alien leader scenes and the cracks about the alien tights.

I think the core problem though was that they focused too much on the poor production than the on-screen events and character actions.  The cracks on what the characters are doing is what made riffs such as The Matrix so good, and the more obscure things such as the agent's suits making them appear to be Mormon missionaries.

Offline DeadlyCinema

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • The Underworld Looks Better in Pink
    • Deadly Cinema: The Myspace Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2007, 05:23:38 PM »
This is the only film in the entire universe that I'd rather not see riffed. Not out of respect, really, it's just such a personal film to me.

Matthew
myspace.com/deadlycinema