Poll

Which ending was better?

Original Ending
6 (21.4%)
Alternate Ending
22 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Original Ending vs Alternate Ending  (Read 27985 times)

Offline Hamdingers

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
Re: Original Ending vs Alternate Ending
« Reply #75 on: May 05, 2008, 07:27:19 PM »
I thought they were the "Living Impaired"
We want a Mac Rifftrax player, NOW!, no more delays, no more vaporware!

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2008, 08:24:26 AM »
As a aside, I liked the Rifftrax a lot, but this movie is so gawdawful depressing that I have no desire to see it again.

Offline skenderberg

• Not Hurt By Pain
    • War of the Colossal Fan Guide
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
I thought they were the "Living Impaired"
Naw.  Most modern zombies are diseased, not dead.
I thought I was Dale.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2008, 04:25:04 PM »
Where can I get the disease that makes you smoove and super strong?

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2008, 04:59:55 PM »
Sure, those things are sexy but who wants that overbite or skin condition?  Plus, zombie music is terrible.  You can only listen to Hellbilly Deluxe so many times before you want to blow your delicious brains out!
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline OmegaR!

• Big Montana
« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2008, 11:36:52 AM »

According to my Encyclopedia RiffTraxia, for super smoothness, consult the Elves, and for super strength, consult Harrison Ford, AKA "Pennsylvania Dutch" [for specific reference see scene where Indy slides under truck and climbs back on using Whip)

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »
hmm - I never saw the alternate ending before (i don't own the dvd). I think it's better, actually! I thought the suicidal smith at the end of the original was even cheesier than the happy-ending of the alternate.

If they went with the original b/c of test audiences then I say screw test audiences!
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
I'll second that sentiment, if not that method.

Offline Gadfly

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2008, 05:03:18 PM »

I don't know, but you might wish to check with the Dolphins' Jason Taylor (http://www.jasontaylor99.com/).  He certainly appears to have those symptoms...

Gadfly

Ben

« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2008, 09:33:12 AM »
Both are ridiculous, with the alternate version being maybe 2% less idiotic, since it actually, y'know, had more to do with what the book was freakin' about. Unfortunately, the mind-boggingly retarded"butterfly" theme fits into both endings. Why is Goldsman trying to shoehorn a pro-Christian message into a post-apocalyptic movie? As Crow T. Robot would say, "What's his deal?"

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2008, 09:59:42 AM »
The butterfly originates in pagan mythos.  It's a symbol of reincarnation.  Christians use it too, but I wouldn't call it Christian.  It actually fits with the theme of the book.  The human species has undergone a metamorphosis.  We went from larvae (Will Smith) to butterflies (Zombie)...kinda.

She refers to "god" but I think you'd expect someone to do that in an apocalypse.  I didn't think it was overly Christian.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2008, 10:05:47 AM »
Um...

I respect you AmandaGal, but yes it was. It was the movie makers trying to jam God into a film that was meant to be distinctly devoid of it. Perhaps it's not OVERLY Christian, as it's Hollywood God, the touchy-feely vaugue God, but it's still meant to be basically Christian.

Ben

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2008, 10:19:04 AM »
The butterfly originates in pagan mythos.  It's a symbol of reincarnation.  Christians use it too, but I wouldn't call it Christian.  It actually fits with the theme of the book.  The human species has undergone a metamorphosis.  We went from larvae (Will Smith) to butterflies (Zombie)...kinda.

She refers to "god" but I think you'd expect someone to do that in an apocalypse.  I didn't think it was overly Christian.

The cobwebbed pattern of a butterfly on Will Smith's laboratory glass (and the tattoo on Anna's neck) was supposed to imply that Anna's speech about "God having a plan" was indeed correct. I can see the reincarnation approach possibly working in the alternate version, but the theatrical ending was just plain daft.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 10:24:06 AM by Ben »

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2008, 10:25:12 AM »
Um...

I respect you AmandaGal, but yes it was. It was the movie makers trying to jam God into a film that was meant to be distinctly devoid of it. Perhaps it's not OVERLY Christian, as it's Hollywood God, the touchy-feely vaugue God, but it's still meant to be basically Christian.

Maybe with the theatrical ending, I'd agree.  With the alternate ending, do you also think it was god centered?  I think it was more metamorphosis centered.

To me, the alternate ending made her faith look stupid.  She says god leads her there to basically destroy feeling, loving creatures.  In the alternate ending, I don't think "human" faith in god makes sense.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2008, 10:26:34 AM »

The cobwebbed pattern of a butterfly on Will Smith's laboratory glass (and the tattoo on Anna's neck) was supposed to imply that Anna's speech about "God having a plan" was indeed correct. I can see the reincarnation approach possibly working in the alternate version, but the theatrical ending was just plain daft.

I thought we were talking about the alternate ending. My mistake.