login

Poll

Which ending was better?

Original Ending
6 (21.4%)
Alternate Ending
22 (78.6%)

Total Members Voted: 25

Author Topic: Original Ending vs Alternate Ending  (Read 28133 times)

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
Re: Original Ending vs Alternate Ending
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2008, 03:44:35 PM »
So what would have happened if the alpha dark seeker hadn't (in a one in a billion chance) just happened to hit the glass into the shape of a butterfly?

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2008, 03:55:03 PM »
I would say A.D.S (I don't have time to type the whole thing) would break through the glass and kill everyone
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2008, 05:16:00 PM »
This is what i don't get...

Neville spends the whole movie trying to cure these freaks....

Then, he sees some butterfly imagery and decides to blow them and himself up?

I know I'm missing something here.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2008, 05:21:11 PM »
This is what i don't get...

Neville spends the whole movie trying to cure these freaks....

Then, he sees some butterfly imagery and decides to blow them and himself up?

I know I'm missing something here.

He blows himself up for the greater good. I don't think he necessarily cares about the individual "zombies" (you can see he doesn't see them as people or individuals, at least in the theatrical ending).  He cares about humanity as a whole.  He's not trying to "cure them."  He's trying to save humanity and any zombie who gets in the way is inconsequential (as you can see by those who he used as nothing more than human rats).  He sees the only way the cure can survive is for him to make the final sacrifice and really, he doesn't have anything to live for anymore now that he's found a cure.  That was his life's mission.  For him to stay and fight and die with the cure would be useless.

Like he said, the zombies wouldn't give up.  He could either run with the cure and risk losing everything he's worked for, probably dieing in the process, or make the choice to die for it.

In my thinking, the butterfly reminded him of his daughter who symbolizes the future.  It made him remember that the future generations, the children, are more important than his own life.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline FBX

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2008, 06:21:04 PM »
I thought it was pretty clear he didn't have anything to really live for once he had found the cure. He was a psychologically screwed up individual once his whole family died. The only thing keeping him alive really was his obsession to find that cure and his dog that he didn't want to die.

Of course, any good scientist would realize the potential for imbeciles to mess up his cure and be unable to reproduce it without his help, but I guess he was more concerned with going out with a bang.

I thought the movie itself had a good "book" ending even if it didn't have the book ending.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2008, 07:00:58 PM »
Even though the original ending depressed the hell out of me, I've got to go with it. It doesn't have the storybook/Hollywood twist where the hero survives and all is well. I also agree with everyone who said it makes more sense to the title. I suppose Neville could have been a legend for being the dude who cured humanity, but dying for the cure would make him an even bigger legend. Yeah, the alternate ending made me feel better, but the original one told a better story.

As for the butterfly thing, I interpreted it to mean God was giving Neville some visuals to go with what Anna said about Vermont. Basically, "Hey stupid, give the cure to Anna to save humanity!!! Do I have to draw you a chart? Oh, I do? Damn scientists. Here's your stupid chart...." sort of thing.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2008, 08:49:11 PM »
Amanda, you're the animal expert... which animal-shaped shattered glass would have made Neville realize that the cure and his cure-couriers might not be entirely safe if he explodes a hand grenade five feet from them?

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2008, 08:55:16 PM »
They were in a furnace.  They were safe from fire . . .  I guess?

Actually, what the hell was that hole in the wall?  Apparently it wasn't a tunnel or anything. He said, "Stay until morning and then leave." It was kind of short sighted for him to build a tiny little cubby hole to nowhere, when apparently it wasn't strong enough to withstand a night long of creature attacks anyway.  He should have built a tunnel out of the house with a bomb he could ignite from outside, so while they were trying to get through the door, he could leave and blow them up.

Too bad I am not Legend.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2008, 10:04:05 PM »
well we can't all be as intelligent as you amanda. But then, if I were legend I would probably have slowly set up a boat when it was day time with everything I ever needed, and then sail the seven seas and live the life of a pirate until I should want for nothing.

There aren't any darkseeker sharks are there?

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2008, 10:15:57 PM »
well we can't all be as intelligent as you amanda. But then, if I were legend I would probably have slowly set up a boat when it was day time with everything I ever needed, and then sail the seven seas and live the life of a pirate until I should want for nothing.

If all the land was taken over by dark seekers it would be a long time out at sea, oh no, WATERWORLD, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

As for darkseeker sharks, a virus that attacks mammals would be unlikely to affect fish, but he did say it was mutating so who knows.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2008, 10:24:01 PM »

If all the land was taken over by dark seekers it would be a long time out at sea, oh no, WATERWORLD, NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

As for darkseeker sharks, a virus that attacks mammals would be unlikely to affect fish, but he did say it was mutating so who knows.

So we should probably be more worried about darkseeker dolphins?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline OmegaR!

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2008, 10:27:38 PM »

Like in the Halloween episode of the Simpsons

Anyway, the cold repressed/negated the K. Virus, so most creatures of the deep would be immune, in my logic, which has proven at times to be flawed

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2657
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2008, 10:32:13 PM »

And whales, hmmm, a pale killer sperm whale, where have I heard of that before............

One thing though, they would have no place to hide during the day to avoid the sun, so I guess they wouldn't be a problem after all. :'(
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008, 10:38:29 PM by MartyS (Gromit) »

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #43 on: May 02, 2008, 10:37:01 PM »
Killer zombie dolphins would ROCK.  Where were you guys when the script was being written? That's way cooler than killer zombie dogs.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2008, 10:43:10 PM »

And whales, hmmm, a pale killer sperm whale, where have I heard of that before............

One thing though, they would have no place to hide during the day to avoid the sun, so I guess they wouldn't be a problem after all. :'(

Underwater caves with air pockets?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing