Author Topic: So, what did we learn?  (Read 11439 times)

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
Re: So, what did we learn?
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2008, 04:28:44 AM »
I learned that even when Hollywood makes a movie set in a city where there's only one driver, they'll still figure a way to work in a chase scene.  (The "Deer Chaser" scene.)

I learned that a deer can out run a 300hp Mustang.

Hmmm, top speed of a deer: 40 mph.  Mustang GT 300 can do 0-60 in 5 seconds.  Something there doesn't add up???  I guess Will Smith can't drive to save his life. ;)

I also learned that if you have a house full of food you would still go out hunting deer, but I guess he was kind of bitter, clinging to his guns and all...

I thought he was trying to tranquilize the deer so he could experiment on them.
On timeout

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2558
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2008, 08:18:24 AM »
I also learned that if you have a house full of food you would still go out hunting deer, but I guess he was kind of bitter, clinging to his guns and all...
I thought he was trying to tranquilize the deer so he could experiment on them.

That wasn't a tranquilzer gun he was using....

Maybe there was some logical reason he was after deer, but as with most things in this movie it went unexplained.  But I think Gadfly had it, they wanted a chase scene in the empty city, I"m sure they wanted to copy all the driving around that was in The Omega Man and it was a good place for product placement to get some money from Ford, couldn't chase dark seekers because it had to be during the day to show off the car, and thus the deer chase scene was born...

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2008, 07:04:42 PM »
The one thing they borrowed from a previous version, and it had to be driving a race car around.

Offline Hamdingers

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2008, 07:26:08 PM »

Actually, there's a good reason for Will Smith to go out hunting, it allows him to keep his canned goods and other preserved foods for backup purposes, if and when he runs out of animals to hunt and eat

besides, which would *you* rather eat, nice, fresh venison, or musty old canned goods?
We want a Mac Rifftrax player, NOW!, no more delays, no more vaporware!

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2008, 07:31:55 PM »
Uh... I'll take canned goods for 500, Alex.

nummy muffin

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2008, 08:43:07 PM »
Considering he could never plausibly run out of canned goods to pillage, I assume he's just bored.  He's become like any redneck in the middle of nowhere, with only his dog to talk to.  They tend to take up blood sport.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2008, 10:01:56 PM »
*sigh* Sadly, Legend is so stupid that he chases deer in a Ford Mustang and wonders why he can't get a shot off... instead of just shooting the things while they're standing around eating the grass that grows out of Broadway. You know, I wonder if maybe he's legend for this very reason...

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2008, 11:04:40 PM »
The bored idea is the only plausible one, why use a 300 hp Mustang that they can hear coming a mile away unless you wanted it to be more of a sport.

If he were able to shoot a deer from a Mustang while driving then he would deserve the name Legend.

I mean, if he wanted deer meat he could have set a trap like he did for his victims experiments.

Another thing I learned, when alone, stuck in the city for years, it would be really important to save some bacon.  And I would act all un-legend like when some chick came in and cooked it while I was unconscious.

Please movie, tell us why the bacon was so important!  Were all the pigs wiped out?  Another in a long list of pointless stuff they tossed into the second half.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2008, 12:50:07 AM »
No, really... I fuckin love the idea that if he found the cure for zompires, he was saving some bacon just for the occasion. What a guy after Rifftrax's own heart.

Offline ShadowDog

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 102
  • Just call me Mr. PIE
    • Indie Movie Blog
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2008, 07:46:02 AM »
Yeah, I'm with you on that one. Only line in the movie that made any damned sense.  :P
"Did she just say Chipping?"

Offline skenderberg

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
    • War of the Colossal Fan Guide
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2008, 09:28:41 AM »
The bored idea is the only plausible one, why use a 300 hp Mustang that they can hear coming a mile away unless you wanted it to be more of a sport.

If he were able to shoot a deer from a Mustang while driving then he would deserve the name Legend.

I mean, if he wanted deer meat he could have set a trap like he did for his victims experiments.

Another thing I learned, when alone, stuck in the city for years, it would be really important to save some bacon.  And I would act all un-legend like when some chick came in and cooked it while I was unconscious.

Please movie, tell us why the bacon was so important!  Were all the pigs wiped out?  Another in a long list of pointless stuff they tossed into the second half.
I thought it was pretty clear that he was saving the bacon for Sam.  After he flipped out he had to go calm down by the dog-bathing tub.
I thought I was Dale.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 10:34:32 AM »
I thought it was pretty clear that he was saving the bacon for Sam.  After he flipped out he had to go calm down by the dog-bathing tub.

OK, maybe, I didn't make that connection.  But all the pet shops would be filled with tasty bacon flavored treats that would last forever

Another thing learned from this movie:  That it's OK to run a bunch of portable generators inside, no problem with carbon monoxide at all.  But CO poisoning could explain a lot of his behavior.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 11:26:30 AM »
You know, I learned that IT IS OKAY to get INSIDE the chamber - THERE IS ENOUGH ROOOM!
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Shamalama

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2008, 11:34:21 PM »
I learned that in this day and age of interwebs and imdbs you can fill your movie with plot holes galore and leave it up to an online FAQ to explain everything.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0480249/faq

So apparently the fact that Sam wasn't eating her veggies was enough explanation in the writers mind to merit high speed deer hunting.

I also learned that deer migrate to concrete islands inhabited by flesh hungry vambies, zompires, and lions once the apocalypse comes!

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2008, 11:31:59 AM »
I didn't realise until recently that I Am Legend is much closer to The World, The Flesh and the Devil than Last Man on Earth.

Well, since I saw it on TCM :)
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....