Author Topic: So, what did we learn?  (Read 11800 times)

Offline Tony Farms AKA Puma Man

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 53
  • Anus Insurance?
So, what did we learn?
« on: May 01, 2008, 07:14:08 PM »
-I learned that a person infected will turn into a really crappy CGI-zombie.

Offline OmegaR!

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
Re: So, what did we learn?
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2008, 08:06:15 PM »
I learned that CG deer taste really good, but its not so good as to take on a CG lion

nummy muffin

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2008, 10:15:15 PM »
The cure for cancer provides the infected with a set of vocal chords that can produce the sound of a lion crossed with a dolphin.  Zombies can and must roar.

Offline Gadfly

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2008, 09:19:22 AM »
The cure for cancer provides the infected with a set of vocal chords that can produce the sound of a lion crossed with a dolphin.  Zombies can and must roar.

[musical_interlude]
We are zombies, hear us roar
In numbers too big to ignore ...
[/musical_interlude]

Gadfly

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2008, 04:32:44 PM »
You know, technically they are vampires. -.-

I mean, hello? Disembaudio with bat wings? Corbett in a cape? =o
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2008, 07:26:07 PM »
Well technically, they never showed any fangs or sucked any blood. They also never died and came back to life. So they are NEITHER. They're sunlight-scaredy-cats.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2008, 08:16:56 PM »
That's what annoyed me.

I learned that you can make a movie with monsters that cause well informed people to seem stupid when they talk to people who don't read books:

"I don't know, they made the vampires in the film waaay too much like 28 Days Later zombies."
"Uh, that's because they ARE zombies, genius."
"No no, see, they're supposed to be vampires. George Romero's zombies were actually based off of Richard Matheson's original-"
"Oh, look, something shiny! Gleee!!!"

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2008, 03:18:40 AM »
Genius writer (and for some reason producer) Akiva "Oscar" Goldsman said he didn't make them vampires because he felt that had "been done." Yeah, like zombies haven't "been done." There's an interview with Richard "Really Old" Matheson and he said his idea was (I think after reading Dracula) that if one vampire was scary, then a whole world of vampires would be even scarier. And since the first movie with Price is all but forgotten and Omega Man was just people with afros, I'd say that the concept still HASN'T really been done (except for that Alaska movie that came out last year). Making them ambiguous and calling them something incredibly stupid that nobody (even someone from Brasil) would ever think of like "Dark Seekers" didn't make the movie any more original.

Er, I meant to say I "learned" that. Yeah.

Um, I learned that even if you've seen movies like Shrek and "Batman and Superman Get Married," you won't call zombie vampires "zombies" or "vampires" or "people who fry in sunlight" or even "Light Haters," you'll call them "Dark Seekers" cos it sounds more cooler and shit.

Offline Gadfly

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2008, 08:51:00 AM »
Genius writer (and for some reason producer) Akiva "Oscar" Goldsman said he didn't make them vampires because he felt that had "been done." Yeah, like zombies haven't "been done." ... Making them ambiguous and calling them something incredibly stupid that nobody (even someone from Brasil) would ever think of like "Dark Seekers" didn't make the movie any more original.

I agree, that's -- uh, an interesting thing for him to say.  In the midst of the "fast zombie" revolution with films like  the "28 x Later" franchise and the re-imagined "Dawn of the Dead", the "Dark Seekers" of this film were not exactly breaking new ground (from either direction).

Um, I learned that even if you've seen movies like Shrek and "Batman and Superman Get Married," you won't call zombie vampires "zombies" or "vampires" or "people who fry in sunlight" or even "Light Haters," you'll call them "Dark Seekers" cos it sounds more cooler and shit.

Yeah, I wonder how that ideas committee meeting went that came up with the term "Dark Seekers."  I can imagine the organizer standing up and saying something like, "Okay, people, listen up!  We need to come up with a name for these zombie/vampire/ghoul creatures, but we're not going to use familiar terms like zombies or vampires or ghouls, because we're gonna be 'original'.   Now, whad'ya got?  Lemme hear some ideas!"

And since the first movie with Price is all but forgotten ... I'd say that the concept still HASN'T really been done

Actually, you can find "The Last Man on Earth" in a lot of those public-domain DVD collections (our local Wal-Mart has it, paired with Lon Chaney Jr's "The Devil's Messenger", for $1), and it's one of the top down-loaded Feature Films at archive.org, specifically http://www.archive.org/details/the-last-man-on-earth.  (Personally, I like the Google video version they embed in the kewl movie-theater motif at http://www.moviesfoundonline.com/last_man_on_earth.php, but I digress.)  As I recall the Matheson book, the Price film did a relatively decent job of following it, at least as good as most Hollywood adaptations of novels (or novellas, in this case) go.

BTW, I like the way Mike & Co used term "The Last Man on Earth" a few (2? 3?) times during the early part of the riffing.  It sounded like an homage of sorts to the Price film.  (Not that I'd ever dare to accuse the Film Crew of waxing nostalgic, of course.)

Gadfly

Offline Gadfly

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2008, 09:08:38 AM »
I learned that even when Hollywood makes a movie set in a city where there's only one driver, they'll still figure a way to work in a chase scene.  (The "Deer Chaser" scene.)

Gadfly

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2008, 10:02:43 AM »
I learned that even when Hollywood makes a movie set in a city where there's only one driver, they'll still figure a way to work in a chase scene.  (The "Deer Chaser" scene.)

I learned that a deer can out run a 300hp Mustang.

Hmmm, top speed of a deer: 40 mph.  Mustang GT 300 can do 0-60 in 5 seconds.  Something there doesn't add up???  I guess Will Smith can't drive to save his life. ;)

I also learned that if you have a house full of food you would still go out hunting deer, but I guess he was kind of bitter, clinging to his guns and all...

Offline bettertomorrowamy

• Mr Bungle
  • Liked: 12
  • Get this lazy Manc twat an Emmy!
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2008, 01:24:11 PM »

The deer were infected with the virus though so........
On timeout

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2008, 01:42:19 PM »
they were?
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008, 04:43:55 PM »
No, they weren't. However, they were New York deer. So, like New York rats...

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008, 10:43:46 PM »

Hmmm, top speed of a deer: 40 mph.  Mustang GT 300 can do 0-60 in 5 seconds.  Something there doesn't add up???  I guess Will Smith can't drive to save his life. ;)

I also learned that if you have a house full of food you would still go out hunting deer, but I guess he was kind of bitter, clinging to his guns and all...

Ever since I heard about the crappy last-minute-religious-deus-ex-machina-cop-out device, I've been waiting for somebody to make a tie in to that Obama remark.

Thank you kind sir.
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."