Author Topic: Tim Burton's Batman  (Read 6001 times)

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tim Burton's Batman
« Reply #30 on: November 18, 2006, 06:43:15 PM »
My issue isn't that Batman was a bad adaption so much as that it's a fairly shitty movie.

I'd have to agree with that.  You can pretty much butcher the source material and still get a decent movie sometimes, but I just didn't like the Batman movie.  I don't read comics, but I know what I like and I really liked Batman Begins. 
I actually liked Batman more than Batman Begins, but I wasn't so much complaining that Batman was an inaccurate translation as that the portrayal of Batman himself was pretty weak. I'm willing to assume that I wouldn't have thought the character so lame if it wasn't trying to be one who is pretty easy to make awesome.

The production design in that movie was great, though. And Nicholson is always entertaining.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2006, 01:15:27 AM »
If you're going to criticize Peter Jackson for straying from Tolkien, you can't call Burton's Batman a good adaptation (And don't get uppity about me comparing Tolkien to Batman comics. Fantasy is fantasy and I love them both.)

No, I'm not going to get uppity about THAT, but how dare you put Peter Jack$$$on and Tim Burton in the same sentence?!? ;D

The only Burton movie I really love is Ed Wood, (though I enjoyed Big Fish and Beetlejuice) and I think that's because Burton was pretty restricted by the source material. He's a talented director, but the goth lite fairy tale aura of his stuff doesn't really work for me. And he totally should've Alan Smitheed Planet Of The Apes. The ape prosthetics were amazing, though.

Online ScottotD

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 1379
  • E Pluribum Anus forever
    • Facebook
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2006, 02:37:31 AM »
Anyone who's cynical about Peter Jackson should track down 'Forgotten Silver'
Scottotd on Instagram

"A thing I like that there was no chance would ever continue until recently is now continuing but it doesn't meet my exact personal specifications so fuck this"

- how I read any complaint about MST3k (or Star Wars or Ghostbusters)

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2006, 02:50:10 AM »
I seem to find that I enjoy Burton's films much less when they're based on other sources (Willy Wonka, Planet of the Apes, Batman, etc) but love them when it's his own work (Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands, Nightmare Before Christmas). I'd love to see the first Batman film Riff'ed; while I loved it when it was released - hey, I was 9 - I haven't bothered watching it again in the last 16 years.

Offline Petey Wheatstraw

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • "SMOG INSPECTION!"
    • Mystic Studios Productions
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2006, 04:29:55 AM »
Willy Wonka

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was a book long before they made that crappy ultra-psychedelic '70s film version. Tim Burton's version was not only a better film, but more faithful to the book.
This iRiff will only be on sale for another few hours. Get it while it's cheap!