17 (23.6%)
Jake Lloyd (the kid)
47 (65.3%)
Liam Neeson
1 (1.4%)
Kiera Knightly
6 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 70

Author Topic: Why did the acting in this movie suck so bad?  (Read 27542 times)

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
    • BlondeChampagne
Re: Why did the acting in this movie suck so bad?
« Reply #45 on: November 30, 2006, 08:55:52 PM »
I never understood why they would WANT that prophecy to come true anyway.  And if they didn't know about the Sith, then how did they know it was "out of balance" to begin with?  Did they think the Force like a washing machine, and you just have to rearrange Yoda's boxer shorts and Mace's parachute pants so it's not out of balance anymore?

Offline TENEBRE

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2006, 12:00:04 PM »
I agree, the more I look at the prequel the more it seems "The Force" only existed in order for bad things to happen later. Whereas in the original trilogy it existed to unite the characters against a common goal, in these films, particularly the Phantom Menace, it exists only to move a character from one plot point to another, it has no say as to whether or not that character actually evolves the way that Luke did. Take for example the scene where Anakin's pod racer was sabotaged (this was pointed out on the Ep 1 riff track) and they know nothing, they don't sense something is wrong. They have no idea that the Emperor is deceiving them or that their temporary enemy is only a facade for a greater foe. It takes them, what, about six years to figure this out. Then, later speculation over the force, leads Anakin to stray to the dark side in hopes of saving his wife from her death, and then once she's dead he doesn't want to bring her back.

I think Mike put it best on the riff track for Episode 1 , "...the force, being a rather impotent version of intuition."

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #47 on: December 01, 2006, 01:01:10 PM »

Maybe that particular Jedi council just wasn't a very good one.  ;D

Yes, I'm probably going to get flamed now because Yoda was on it. Just make it quick and move on.

I would have thought that if Anakin was the chosen one, The Force would have made it more obvious, and the Jedi council wouldn't have done so much to piss him off (IE: not letting him on the council, telling him to stay out of everything, ect). I've always thought that Palpatine was only partially responable for Anakin's journey to the Dark Side. The Jedi have only to blame themselves for their part in it.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #48 on: December 01, 2006, 01:31:06 PM »

Maybe that particular Jedi council just wasn't a very good one.  ;D

Yes, I'm probably going to get flamed now because Yoda was on it. Just make it quick and move on.

I would have thought that if Anakin was the chosen one, The Force would have made it more obvious, and the Jedi council wouldn't have done so much to piss him off (IE: not letting him on the council, telling him to stay out of everything, ect). I've always thought that Palpatine was only partially responable for Anakin's journey to the Dark Side. The Jedi have only to blame themselves for their part in it.
Or, I don't know, not institute inexplicable celibacy rules. And maybe Jedi the fact that poor Annie is having nightmares. Honestly, they can mind read and they're worse at figuring each other out than your standard mommy.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 3
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2006, 02:41:32 AM »
I never understood why they would WANT that prophecy to come true anyway.  And if they didn't know about the Sith, then how did they know it was "out of balance" to begin with?  Did they think the Force like a washing machine, and you just have to rearrange Yoda's boxer shorts and Mace's parachute pants so it's not out of balance anymore?

My roommate and I have had far too many distrubingly geeky discussions about the "balancing the Force" question and we've come up with this: Whatever ancient text prophesized that a chosen one would bring balance to the Force was translated correctly, but misconstrued. Mathematically, Anakin did bring bring balance to the Force. At the beginning of Episode I there are two Sith and countless Jedi. By the end of Episode III there are two Sith and two Jedi. Balance. The Jedi just stupidly interpreted the prophesy as a good thing instead of a warning. Yoda's so wise he can't see past his little green nose.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2006, 05:59:52 AM »
That's pretty much what I've arrived at.  Without conversation, which is the scariest thing ever.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2006, 06:58:05 AM »

Ha! Love it.  ;D

Quote from: 00Sharktopus
By the end of Episode III there are two Sith and two Jedi. Balance. The Jedi just stupidly interpreted the prophesy as a good thing instead of a warning. Yoda's so wise he can't see past his little green nose.

That's very well thought out. But looking even more deeply into the background of the films, isn't the Force based on the kind of dualism that teaches that evil is the equivalent of good and they're always supposed to be kept in balance? I think Lucas's mistake was to try to combine the good-must-defeat-evil kind of storytelling with the good-and-evil-must-be-kept-in-balance kind of philosophy, and it came out a mishmash. So it's Lucas who can't see past his little green -- er, past his nose.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2006, 09:53:36 AM »

My roommate and I have had far too many distrubingly geeky discussions about the "balancing the Force" question and we've come up with this: Whatever ancient text prophesized that a chosen one would bring balance to the Force was translated correctly, but misconstrued. Mathematically, Anakin did bring bring balance to the Force. At the beginning of Episode I there are two Sith and countless Jedi. By the end of Episode III there are two Sith and two Jedi. Balance. The Jedi just stupidly interpreted the prophesy as a good thing instead of a warning. Yoda's so wise he can't see past his little green nose.

I always saw the "fulfillment of the prophecy" as being Vader throwing the emperor into the Death Star reactor.

Also, up above it was wirtten that the force seemed less like a uniting entity, and more inconsistent in the prequels. I totally agree. I loved hearing Mon Mothma and General Akbar say "May the force be with us" in the original trilogy cuz it made the entire religion seem to make sense. That the Force was basically "the power of good" which jedi-monks had a special connection with, while the darkside was the /misuse/ of that power. The developments that they gave to the force in the prequels added too much inconsistency for me. The jedi couldn't sense the pod-sabotage in ep 1 (not that it mattered cuz pushing some buttons fixed it anyway...), but they /could/ sense the evil slug aliens that the bounty hunter put in Padme's room during ep2.

It just made me hyper-critical of everything! "Size doesn't matter" as Yoda put it, but we see the exact opposite throughout the prequels. They couldn't "sense" that she was pregannt with twins?? They couldn't "sense" that the clones were going to turn on them?? AAAAAAAH

Anyway - fun movies to watch on a rainy day with a bunch of film-nerd friends.
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3176
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2006, 10:02:16 AM »
Regarding the clones, I don't think the Jedi could sense the intentions until they had it. And they didn't have it 'til Order 66 came in to play.

Offline J-Proof

• J-Proof
  • The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2006, 10:21:19 AM »
Regarding the clones, I don't think the Jedi could sense the intentions until they had it. And they didn't have it 'til Order 66 came in to play.

Yeah you're probably right about that. But still - many inconsistencies ;)
J to the Pizzo
P to the Jizzay...

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2006, 02:44:05 PM »
Yeah, but clones are the definition of weak willed- why didn't they just mind trick the lot of them as soon as that had been put in their heads?

And always assumed the 'balance' thing was a nasty joke- strictly in terms of the movies, it does eventually end with the complete elimination of the Sith. They just have some technical difficulties along the way.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2006, 02:57:48 PM »
Or, I don't know, not institute inexplicable celibacy rules.

I don't think the celibacy was inexplicable.  I'm pretty sure the reason behind it was to avoid forming overly emotional attachments so that we don't have what happend with Vader/Padme.  I think it's also so that they are free to travel, suffer exposure to extreme danger, and leave for long times without worrying about family connections... the Force-sensitive babies are also separated from their families at birth because of this as well.  They don't want the Jedi over-attaching even to their parents.

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2006, 03:09:51 PM »
Or, I don't know, not institute inexplicable celibacy rules.

I don't think the celibacy was inexplicable.  I'm pretty sure the reason behind it was to avoid forming overly emotional attachments so that we don't have what happend with Vader/Padme.  I think it's also so that they are free to travel, suffer exposure to extreme danger, and leave for long times without worrying about family connections... the Force-sensitive babies are also separated from their families at birth because of this as well.  They don't want the Jedi over-attaching even to their parents.

Offline LadyKenobi

• Big Montana
    • BlondeChampagne
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2006, 03:19:54 PM »
I was just trying to point out it wasn't "inexplicable." 

As for the "creching," I think they wanted to teach the Jedi from the early age that the order was all about community, not the individual.  I also think that is that it was such an honor to be a Jedi that they parents willingly gave up their children to the training.  I doubt they went cradle-robbing.  Notice that Qui-Gon gave Annie The Boy a choice as to whether or not to come with him.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2006, 03:26:20 PM by LadyKenobi »

Offline 6079SmithW

• Big Montana
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2006, 03:29:23 PM »
I was just trying to point out it wasn't "inexplicable." 

As for the "creching," I think they wanted to teach the Jedi from the early age that the order was all about community, not the individual.  I also think that is that it was such an honor to be a Jedi that they parents willingly gave up their children to the training.  I doubt they went cradle-robbing.  Notice that Qui-Gon gave Annie The Boy a choice as to whether or not to come with him.
Nice job on knowing the word 'creching', incidentally, since Firefox doesn't. Anyway...

Taking kids away from their parents at presumably below 10, on average (since Anakin is supposed to be too old) is going to screw them up, and you'll get a large number of very powerful people with severe emotional disorders. That sounds like a clever plan.

But your right, the word I wanted wasn't 'inexplicable', it was 'idiotic'.