login

Author Topic: Question about if I should watch "I am Legend", SPOILER ALERT  (Read 27035 times)

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
Re: Question about if I should watch "I am Legend", SPOILER ALERT
« Reply #90 on: April 30, 2008, 04:41:38 PM »
I'm gonna have to agree with bratpop on this one...I mean, I can see your point MarkAndrew, but not watching a movie for a scene that instills the exact feelings the filmmakers wanted to you feel seems a little weird.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #91 on: April 30, 2008, 04:47:22 PM »
I have not seen the movie, but I know that the dog that Wil Smith pals around with has to be killed by him when he sees the dog turning vampire/zombie/mutant or whatever everyone else turns into.

I WILL NOT WATCH any movie where the big loveable buddy dog dies as that would be too sad for me to watch (yeah, a 44 year old man would cry, so shut up).   

Is this a movie I should watch, or is the dog's death not that traumatic?

Thank you all in advance.

I'm guessing you haven't watched movies like Old Yeller or Turner & Hooch for that very reason.

Guess who cried like a little baby at the end of "My Dog Skip"?    And that dog died of old age at home surrounded by loved ones.

Offline Quicksilver

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 0
  • Give me your pudding!
« Reply #92 on: April 30, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
I forgot to post..................I watched it last night riffed, very good imo. I liked the riff, wasnt too harsh on the movie, but was pretty good. 8/10. I do think the guys could have handled the dog dying better however

oh and I think he was using a sleeper hold which eventually led to will snapping his neck by sheer force.  :'(
The Ood: The Beast and his armies will rise from the pit to make war against God.
Rose: I'm sorry?
The Ood: Apologies. I said: I hope you enjoy your meal.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2008, 07:09:57 PM »
Watched it for the first time last night, with the RT.

The dog scene is a powerful scene, no doubt about it.  Not gratuitous, not saccharin.  My shep-mix just happens to be named Sam, and he got a hug and a Milkbone after that scene, you bet your sweet patootie that he did.  Even after all the time he spent barking at the big-screen and trying to join the chase.  ;)

And I figured that the stuff he pours on the steps was bleach.  Or urine.  Something like that.

-dale

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #94 on: May 01, 2008, 12:44:40 AM »
To me, this scene is THE PERFECT EXAMPLE of "we don't make movies, we make them funny." They took a heart wrenching scene, and created a comedic scene that fits Will's expression and the situation so perfectly. I won't ruin it. It's just genius at work.

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #95 on: May 01, 2008, 06:03:53 AM »
Saw the scene I had avoided earlier. and didn't tear up.  The riffs were actually a relief.  I think what was worse was the dogfight because it was so one-sided.  Sam laying down after getting mauled was painful to watch but the notion then popped into my head that this dog is q really good actor.  Do dogs get nominated for supporting roles?
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline mzadach

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #96 on: May 01, 2008, 07:27:29 AM »
Do NOT watch!!  I watched this *&%^$# Rifftrax last night, and I am still upset about the DOG.  I am 47 so do not watch, I cried!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #97 on: May 01, 2008, 07:30:11 AM »
I think I'd modify that to Do NOtT Watch if that sort of thing upsets you. It upsets me but I'm not the abiter of reactions for everyone.

I'm sure it's a very good rifftrack

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #98 on: May 01, 2008, 07:56:40 AM »
I posted this in another thread, but here is my take on that scene:

The guys did a really good job at that scene. It was pretty well done and they didn't bring any attention to 'sadness' of it, yet I thought they didn't make it too light hearted either.

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2615
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #99 on: May 01, 2008, 10:48:37 AM »
I posted this in another thread, but here is my take on that scene:

The guys did a really good job at that scene. It was pretty well done and they didn't bring any attention to 'sadness' of it, yet I thought they didn't make it too light hearted either.

I agree, it also helps that the movie went to a closeup of Will's face at that point, would have been much harder to make jokes if you could still see the dog (even if it was turning all CGI).

That scene was handled well in the movie, too bad they couldn't maintain that level of competence all the way to the end, just a few changes to the ending would have made it so much better.

Offline Cosmic Muse

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Dragon of Light
« Reply #100 on: May 04, 2008, 09:39:29 AM »
Guess who cried like a little baby at the end of "My Dog Skip"?    And that dog died of old age at home surrounded by loved ones.

Aw!!! That was a very sad scene when the little pooch was just comfortably resting on the bed and the mother comes in and sees him there peacefully dead. I too cry during those sorts of scenes. Heck, I even started to tear up during Ironman
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Being a genocidal maniac is not one of my turn ons.

Is it weird to hear the Safety Dance in my head watching Game of Thrones?

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 987
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
« Reply #101 on: May 11, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »

And I figured that the stuff he pours on the steps was bleach.  Or urine.  Something like that.

-dale

Just got around to watching it as well, and I'll agree with Dale here. I guessed that Will was masking his trail by pouring bleach on the steps to destroy his scent trail.

Offline Cornjob

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2008, 09:52:34 PM »
My sister was all torn up about that scene, She's seen it twice and she cried both times. It is a rally sad scene, considering about a year ago my family had to put down our beloved dog, it was very sad.
I hear you.  I saw I Am Legend in the theater a few weeks after I had to put down my best friend.
[yt=425,350]<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LRTTjXHoxs&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LRTTjXHoxs&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>[/yt]
Failure is not an option.  It comes factory standard.