Author Topic: Question about if I should watch "I am Legend", SPOILER ALERT  (Read 26505 times)

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
Re: Question about if I should watch "I am Legend", SPOILER ALERT
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2008, 08:50:00 AM »
Cannibal Holocaust didn't just feature realistic human violence, it featured scenes of actual animal killing.

Yeah, the movie could've done without the animal killing, but at the end of the day it was the human 'fake' violence that disturbed me more. I had several pet turtles growing up, but at the same time I've seen people cook snapping turtle before and I know several deer hunters... so I guess the 'animal torchure' didn't register as evil to me. I eat meat, I just don't like killing animals myself.

Anyway, I didn't mean to change the subject of the thread so much, which I agree with on principal (killing dogs is horrible) but (for me) its easy to draw line between 'fictitiously killing' and real killing.

My sister was all torn up about that scene, She's seen it twice and she cried both times. It is a rally sad scene, considering about a year ago my family had to put down our beloved dog, it was very sad.
understandable as well.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 745
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2008, 09:06:01 AM »
Never heard of those films before ... after a quick internet search I added Flower of Flesh and Blood to the top of my Netflix Q, and grabbed Mermaid in a Manhole/He Never Dies off of ebay for cheap. Damn you MrTorso for corrupting me further 8)

I do what I can! 
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2008, 09:26:24 AM »
I've never been too bothered by scenes like that, but my wife gets choked up in any move where an animal is in distress.
She sobbed through Hildalgo.

Anyway, whenever I see a scene with an animal in distress, I just think to myself..."It's just acting, and I bet afterwards they took the dog out back and played fetch and had a fun time..."

Now what *really* gets me, are those wildlife commercials showing animals being treated cruelly, like the bear in a cage in Asia...damn it, those are real!!   :'(

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2008, 11:28:13 AM »
I've never been too bothered by scenes like that, but my wife gets choked up in any move where an animal is in distress.
She sobbed through Hildalgo.

Anyway, whenever I see a scene with an animal in distress, I just think to myself..."It's just acting, and I bet afterwards they took the dog out back and played fetch and had a fun time..."

Now what *really* gets me, are those wildlife commercials showing animals being treated cruelly, like the bear in a cage in Asia...damn it, those are real!!   :'(

I didn't think I was like that until this movie...that dog messed me up for days.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2008, 11:31:02 AM »
I describes this bit to Ann and she said "well why doesn't he just learn to live with the dog, we live with Jemmy"

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2008, 11:34:10 AM »
we had to put our dog down last year, and it was the hardest thing we ever had to do, we still cry when we look at pictures....but if it helps, in the movie it was no longer a dog but a demondog......I mean, you wouldnt stop playing resident evil cuz you had to shoot zombie dogs would you?  No, you keep on playing shooting, jumping up and down and screaming "DIE YOU DEVIL MUTTS!! GO STRAIGHT TO HELL TO SIT ON SATANS LAP, YOU CANINE MINIONS OF EVIL, SUCK ON MY CHEWTOY OF HOT LEAD!!!!!   or is that just me.  It was hard to watch though, specially if you have a dog :(

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2008, 11:36:37 AM »
Er actually the few times I've played RE I do feel bad about the dogs  :-\

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2008, 11:50:17 AM »
Hmmmm, as I type this I see my dog snoozing by the computer desk and I can feel her thoughts of "dont watch the movie, dont watch the movie"

Offline mike5150

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 312
  • I used to be cool dag nabbit!
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2008, 12:08:00 PM »
yeah, my dogs laying on the couch thinkin "Well, might as well get up eat, rip up another one of mikes dvds and then take his car keys off the table and take em' under the bed, where does the day go".......ya gotta love dogs ;D I'd like to show you a picture...can someone show me how?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 12:28:49 PM by mike5150 »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2008, 01:00:36 PM »
Yes Dogs are the best, and so giving

GLaDOS

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 02:32:58 PM »
Heh, cute. :)
Still, this movie sounds way less depressing than another certain film that recently got a rifftrax.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 05:29:40 PM »
Wow, I pray they call-back the Reloaded riff about "you know how some people can watch the most gory, violent films, but they freak out if a dog dies?" What a perfect firsthand example.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 09:01:07 PM »

AAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWHUHUHUHUUUAwwwww. That's like 12 layers of cute superimposed on each other! Dog cute, Kitty Cute, Litter cute, sweet cute, etc.

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2008, 09:22:40 PM »
Ug. Dunno about this movie now. However unrealistic, animal deaths in movies bother me more than anything else. I'm one of those freaks who stays during the credits at the end of movies to make sure the Humane Society oversaw the wellbeing of the animal actors and such cause it makes me feel better.

Oh the irony. I can watch children get eviscerated on screen, but not animals. I'll still watch this film, but I think I may just cover my eyes during the demon dog thing.

Oh, and I'm okay shooting the zombie dogs in RE. They're zombies. I've never been too sure why they whine when you shoot them. They wouldn't feel the bullets anymore than the human zombies. >:D

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2008, 09:26:20 PM »
The makeup they put on those poor zombie dogs made it look like someone threw spagetti on them. Poor guys.

But seriously, you knew it was gonna happen. Am I the only one who actually saw the damn movie in the theater?