login

Author Topic: Question about if I should watch "I am Legend", SPOILER ALERT  (Read 27308 times)

Offline a pretty girl is like

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 450
  • I hast had enow of thine effrontery!
Re: Question about if I should watch "I am Legend", SPOILER ALERT
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008, 06:46:24 PM »
I think he smothered her

It looked more like a neck breaking deal to me.
I'm all out for kicks...and every inch of me spells EXCITEMENT!

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008, 05:33:26 AM »
I haven't seen it yet, but I know one of my roommates was pretty disturbed by that part.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3897
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008, 05:39:26 AM »
Is this a movie I should watch, or is the dog's death not that traumatic?
Well, I've got the movie showing up today that I'll back up & capture in preps for the Riff, though I won't be able to get the RiffTrax till I return next month.. My wife's family in Mexico want to see it so I may be forced to watch it while down there *adds 'Have Tequila in standby to numb the pain' to list* :-\

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008, 06:33:40 AM »
Fictional violence isnt usually hard to watch. Real violence (against people) is disturbing, and can pretty much get glued to your memory forever. It's best to avoid seeing real violence at all costs in my opinion.

As far as animals? Watching Discovery Channel or Cannibal Holocaust is pretty forgettable (more of a 'yuck, they chopped that turtles head off' or 'damn I kinda feel sorry for that Lions prey, hope he gets aw-- ... nope sucks for him' than actual horror (like you feel when its people violence). For the record, the two most disturbing fictional films (because of the realistic portrayal of people violence) are Cannibal Holocaust and Visitor Q (pretty horroric, those two).

Hope none of that makes me sound cold hearted, but its not like I'm a vegetarian or anything.

Offline SuperMappy

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 34
    • SuperMappy's Arcade Homepage
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008, 06:36:08 AM »
I havent seen the movie yet, but I know that no animal is actually going to REALLY die. Not to discount what you're all saying, but I always thought it was kinda strange that if several people get killed on screen it's no biggy, but if one animals bites it people are practically ready to trash the cinema.

Remember several years ago when some terrorist group released a video of them testing a nerve gas on a puppy and the explosive uproar that caused?

My guess is that the basic reason people go through this is the simple fact the people can screw you over, let you down, cheat you, but animals rarely, if ever, do.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008, 07:02:26 AM »
This is me explaining the "don't kill the dog" phenominon, not me de-valueing human life:

We get squemish about the deaths of animals in movies because they're innocent. We inherintly know that humans can both cause and understand suffering, but dogs are our loyal, dimwitted friends, who ask only for food, a place to sleep, and love. Any given human is probably a bastard to some degree, but dogs are almost never what we'd consider evil. So them dying in a film where humans are the focus, and usually the cause of a given problem, it's upsetting.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 07:04:22 AM by Junkyard »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008, 07:07:05 AM »
Plus due to domestication Dogs, no matter how big and scary looking are really babies at heart, they're like little needy children that crave attention and love.

Oh but I don't have a problem seeing animals killing other animals in a nature documentary, it's when a human hurts an animal or something of that sort that I get bothered.

Offline Scrivener

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 7
  • P.S. Productions: Getting the last word in.
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008, 07:28:32 AM »
It's a choking, not a neck-breaking.  Though the camera is solely on Will Smith's face, you do hear the dog's paws scrabbling frantically on the floor as it tries to fight free, slowly giving way to stillness.  Most wrenching part of the movie, easily.  Still gets to me, weeks after I watched the DVD.

Don't know how Mike and company are going to handle this.  This is much more serious stuff than any death that happened in, say, 300.
Buy P.S.Productions' iRiffs.  NOW AVAILABLE:

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2008, 07:31:58 AM »
Christ on a bike! Yeah I'm going to absolutly not watch that.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2008, 07:32:01 AM »
... (because of the realistic portrayal of people violence) are Cannibal Holocaust and Visitor Q (pretty horroric, those two).

Or the first flick in the Guinea Pig series. It fooled Charlie Sheen into calling the FBI because he thought it was real.

Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Queen Shadowrama

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2008, 07:36:25 AM »
Don't know how Mike and company are going to handle this.  This is much more serious stuff than any death that happened in, say, 300.

Well, mabey Boomer will rush the studio at that point and start biting the crap out of Mike, Kevin and Bill in protest of the scene. Then, the army of invisible doggies will rush in until there's just a sea of deafenng barks amongs the Riffer's screams. If anything, it will distract you from what's going on!  :P

Coming soon to an iRiff near you.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2008, 08:09:36 AM »
Perhaps a nervous failed distraction, the riffers talking directly to the audience "hey look behind you, isn't whatever that is interesting?"
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #27 on: April 25, 2008, 08:25:13 AM »
... (because of the realistic portrayal of people violence) are Cannibal Holocaust and Visitor Q (pretty horroric, those two).

Or the first flick in the Guinea Pig series. It fooled Charlie Sheen into calling the FBI because he thought it was real.

Never heard of those films before ... after a quick internet search I added Flower of Flesh and Blood to the top of my Netflix Q, and grabbed Mermaid in a Manhole/He Never Dies off of ebay for cheap. Damn you MrTorso for corrupting me further 8)

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2008, 08:37:55 AM »
Cannibal Holocaust didn't just feature realistic human violence, it featured scenes of actual animal killing.
I really do like pie.

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2008, 08:44:22 AM »
My sister was all torn up about that scene, She's seen it twice and she cried both times. It is a rally sad scene, considering about a year ago my family had to put down our beloved dog, it was very sad.
Killing me won't bring back your Goddamned honey!