Author Topic: Earthquake!!!  (Read 9584 times)

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked:
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
Re: Earthquake!
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2010, 04:46:32 PM »
I would rather have Prince's "Housequake" than an earthquake.

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
Re: Earthquake!!!
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2010, 04:50:30 PM »
Is that like a 'Huriquake'?? :D

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2010, 04:59:48 PM »
Upped to a 7.2 magnitude quake by the USGS :o

Offline TTYT

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked:
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2010, 05:30:42 PM »
I'm scared. Haiti, Baja California... Hopefully the next one skips above the Pacific Northwest USA and hits British Columbia instead (apologies, Vancouver, B.C.)

Offline stansimpson

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked:
  • Show yourself! Otherwise, we'll kill some diffrum!
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2010, 06:11:32 PM »
I'm gonna be paying a bit more attention to the 3 active earthquake areas in the continental U.S.: ... and the Charleston, SC Intraplate fault zone for any increased activity.. :o
Whoa.  I was just wondering if there was an East Coast fault zone.  Charleston is waaay closer than my nearest guess.  Have you been in any in SC since you moved there?

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2010, 06:16:59 PM »
I'm gonna be paying a bit more attention to the 3 active earthquake areas in the continental U.S.: ... and the Charleston, SC Intraplate fault zone for any increased activity.. :o
Whoa.  I was just wondering if there was an East Coast fault zone.  Charleston is waaay closer than my nearest guess.  Have you been in any in SC since you moved there?
Theoretically, yes but I never felt them.. they were 2 - 2.5 in magnitude.
I did an independent study of the Great Charleston quake of 1886 back in 2001 for my minor in Geology and That was cool! :o

I was in a 5.4 while in Mexico back on January 1, 2006 that struck near Acapulco and that was impressive (no damage) 8)
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 06:24:12 PM by RVR II »

Offline stansimpson

• Liked:
« Reply #36 on: April 05, 2010, 06:37:17 PM »
Theoretically, yes but I never felt them.. they were 2 - 2.5 in magnitude.
I did an independent study of the Great Charleston quake of 1886 back in 2001 for my minor in Geology and That was cool! :o

I was in a 5.4 while in Mexico back on January 1, 2006 that struck near Acapulco and that was impressive (no damage) 8)
As my brother would say, "That's the scary part... being overdue for another one."   ;)

Being from L.A., I've been through my share, but I think the biggest one I've been in was 5+ (so, nothing terribly huge).  I always find it funny how terrified people are of them compared to hurricanes, floods, and spiraling death tunnels from the sky.

Offline stansimpson

• Liked:
« Reply #37 on: April 06, 2010, 06:09:30 PM »
Magnitude 7.7 quake shakes Indonesia's Sumatra

Will somebody tell Earth to cut it out.  Actually, that reminds me of one of the greatest Mr. Burns quotes ever (somebody help with the exact quote; I'm gonna hafta paraphrase):

"Mother Earth needs our help, does she?  She should have thought of that before sending her earthquakes, floods and destruction!"

Offline RVR II

• Samurai Cop
  • Liked:
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #38 on: April 06, 2010, 06:24:01 PM »

Will somebody tell Earth to cut it out.  Actually, that reminds me of one of the greatest Mr. Burns quotes ever (somebody help with the exact quote; I'm gonna hafta paraphrase):

"Mother Earth needs our help, does she?  She should have thought of that before sending her earthquakes, floods and destruction!"
Well, we are averaging more than 1 major quake per month so far..
Maybe the Earth is 'imploding' in on itself.. :scared:

Offline stansimpson

• Liked:
« Reply #39 on: April 14, 2010, 12:23:29 AM »
One a month?  This is becoming more like twice a month.

6.9 in China.

Could be worse.  Could be a lawnmower!
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:26:34 AM by stansimpson »

Offline Relaxing Dragon

• Liked:
  • I raise my eyebrow at you, sir.
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2010, 12:31:10 AM »

Full quote's a bit more surreal:

"Oh, so mother nature needs a favor? Well, maybe she should have thought of that when she was besetting us with droughts and floods and poison monkeys."

And my Geology professor had a talk with us about all these earthquakes lately. He said we're about that the average amount of 7.0 - 7.9s for any given year. So, no worries folks, just hold fast and bear with the planet's plates.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked:
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 03:58:39 AM »
800 evacuated as Iceland volcano rumbles

Eyjafjallajokull? Get a real language, iceland.  :D

All I know is, if I had an infant son, I'd get to work building a rocket to send him to an Earth-like inhabited planet lighyears away where he'd have abilities far beyond those of other men. You know, just in case.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 04:21:34 AM by Sharktopus »

Offline stansimpson

• Liked:
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 07:24:07 AM »

All I know is, if I had an infant son, I'd get to work building a rocket to send him to an Earth-like inhabited planet lighyears away where he'd have abilities far beyond those of other men. You know, just in case.
And give him a name with some real syllables, too!

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • Liked:
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:58 AM »

"I em Jorl, yer fotha. You are Kalul, last son o' Kryptin. Okay, which o' dese index cards has my next line?"

anais.jude

« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2010, 11:46:52 AM »

"I em Jorl, yer fotha. You are Kalul, last son o' Kryptin. Okay, which o' dese index cards has my next line?"

Are you doing a Tommy Wiseau impression?