Author Topic: The Video Game Thread  (Read 17571 times)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
Re: The Video Game Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2006, 02:34:49 PM »

Justice League Heroes
  Metroid Prime 2 (I'm stuck on the last boss. Have been for a while.)
  Metroid Fusion
  Resident Evil 4
  Silent Hill 2

Alright, I have to ask.  If I forced you to pick, which would it be, Silent Hill or Resident Evil?

Hmmmm...tough choice. I guess I'd have to say Resident Evil, though. Nothing against Silent Hill, but there's a big difference between a game that has a theme of suspense that everyone can enjoy (ie: zombies and guns), and a game that's layers upon layers of complicated terror-based psychology that only a few people can enjoy.

I don't scare easy, but I've got to be in a certian mood to play Silent Hill. Resident Evil I can just pick up any time no problem. Most folks I know cite this, so Resident Evil wins.

Offline Cibernético II

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
  • Vadinho says: YOU are the Pumaman.
    • My Space
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2006, 04:39:13 PM »
I'm gonna get a Wii well after the holiday season is over. If that means having to wait for a second shipment that's cool.

I'll probably never get a ps3, although I'll play it at one of my dumb friends' houses.

Currently playing:

Yakuza
Guitar Hero
Tekken 5
Evil Dead: Regeneration
I really do like pie.

Offline Winterkid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2006, 04:49:00 PM »
Mostly I play games on the PC.  Current favorites are...

Doom 3 + Ressurection of Evil  (Futuristic fp shooter)
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault  (WWII fp shooter)
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Sheild  (Tactical fp shooter)
Diggles: The Myth of Fenris  (3D Godsim/Strategy)
Railroad Tycoon 3  (Simulation/Financial empire)
Indigo Prophecy  (Adventure/Crime)

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2006, 06:41:45 PM »
How are you liking FFXII?  I wish I had more time to play it.  It's quite immersing.  I'm having trouble balancing going on side quests and doing the main story, there's so much to do.

I like it a lot so far. The battle system took a minute to get used to but I like it more than the traditional battle system now.   My favorite FF is FFX and the one thing I don't like about this one so far is it doesn't seem to have as many puzzles to figure out.  It seems to easy, fighting and all the answers "seem" obvious.  But I guess I'll see.  FFX took a lot more brain power. I also think, as far as characters, this one has the least personable ones.  I normally get really attached to the characters in FF games but in this one, so far, I haven't really cared too much about them.  So, it's not my fave FF but it's still a fun game and I can't stop playing!

I'm gonna get a Wii well after the holiday season is over. If that means having to wait for a second shipment that's cool.

Yeah, I have a feeling that even if I get one, the ebay prices for them will be too tempting.  I could buy Christmas presents for my whole family for that!  I'm a po' student at the moment.  Another game system really isn't worth it.  I am going to try to get one though and then decide.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2006, 07:32:00 PM »
I have to say I didn't much care for ffx.  The voices and the art design bothered me, along with the battle system.  But I am also having trouble connecting with the characters.  My guess is that it's due from the lack of a main character and their choice to focus on many different ones.

I'm getting a Wii, but I've decided not to camp out.  I don't know what the hell I was thinking, it's not worth it.  I might get a ps3 someday, solely for the purpose of the next final fantasy.  It's a shame that you can't rent out consoles any more like you could with sega and super ninetndo.  I never did it, but it would be perfect for those systems that carry the one game you want to play. 

This whole trend of paying monthly fees for games is starting to bother me as well.  The next generation won't even know what I'm talking about because you'll have to pay a monthly fee to play any game.  So instead of an investment where the more you play and the more enjoyment you get out of it then the more it justifies the cost, now the games constantly suck money from you.  And if you don't play, then it sits there like a leech. 

Offline SecretAgentSuperDragon

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 3
  • Cake or Death?
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2006, 07:56:02 PM »
Best Buy has been calling the cops on the losers who have started to line up for the ps3 during the past week. They told them about a hundred times that they can't wait outside until 24 hours till the release. Pretty funny actually. It seems that everyone in the line had to fit at least one of three criteria:

#1 - Must be obese. I'm talking like John Goodman fat.
#2 - Must have a ridiculously ugly beard.
#3 - Must wear glasses.

If you hit the trifecta, you got moved to the front of the line. ;)

It's a shame that you can't rent out consoles any more like you could with sega and super ninetndo.  I never did it, but it would be perfect for those systems that carry the one game you want to play. 

Blockbuster rents out the new systems.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006, 07:58:21 PM by SecretAgentSuperDragon »

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2006, 08:47:55 PM »
It's a shame I don't pay attention to rental houses any more.

Offline Minnesota

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 4
  • Twins Territory
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2006, 01:41:27 PM »
Noticed some of y'all were talking about the "quality" of Sony products ... well to some it up nicely - I'm on my 3rd ps2 >:(

I plan on getting a ps3, but not for a loooong time. I'm interested in the wii because I have fond memories of Zelda64. The Xbox360 is probably first on my list because of price compared to ps3 and games currently available.

As for the comment that ps3 doesn't have a killer launch app? What about Tony Hawk- I'm definitely one of the millions of people that prefer a playstation controller for my favorite skate game.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #38 on: November 17, 2006, 01:46:12 PM »
Yeah but wait 'til you're skatin' with the Wii controller. (It's a when, not if.) Wii's coming right out the gate with Rayman, Red Steel, Elebits, Zelda, and the virtual console. It's got more gotta-have games than X-Box does after being out about a year. :^)

On that note, the game store I preordered my Wii through isn't getting the shipment, so I'm gonna hafta get down and dirty with the unprepared masses to get my Wii Saturday night. :^)

Offline Tyrant

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 71
  • 2007-11 Satanic Humanitarian Award Winner
« Reply #39 on: November 17, 2006, 03:17:14 PM »
Noticed some of y'all were talking about the "quality" of Sony products ... well to some it up nicely - I'm on my 3rd ps2 >:(

I plan on getting a ps3, but not for a loooong time. I'm interested in the wii because I have fond memories of Zelda64. The Xbox360 is probably first on my list because of price compared to ps3 and games currently available.

As for the comment that ps3 doesn't have a killer launch app? What about Tony Hawk- I'm definitely one of the millions of people that prefer a playstation controller for my favorite skate game.

The longer you wait, the more reliable the machine. Sony never gets it right until they pump a few more generations out onto shelves. The PS wasn't bad. I got a 2nd generation model for a birthday one year, spilled water all over it (including the innards), and it continued to function (albeit sporadically. It later broke for some other reason). I then replaced it with a second hand 3rd generation model and it's always worked beautifully. Pak and I also waited a long time before getting the PS2 and have had no problems (other than wretchedly slow loading times) with it.

I recall a show on G4 where they took a Gamecube, XBox and PS2 and performed some extreme physical tests on them (ie: dropping them from 2 stories, banging them with hammers, ect). The PS2 broke the first test they ran. The XBox endured most of the tests but died during the last one. The winner? GAMECUBE. It functioned  no matter what they did to it short of catching it on fire. Nintendo should build medical equipment.

And Pak, YOU'RE standing in line for the Wii. I'll be off looking at pets and toys or something.

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #40 on: November 17, 2006, 03:23:23 PM »
That's what DSs are for! :^)

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #41 on: November 17, 2006, 04:43:39 PM »
You should really only get a new gaming console if it promises to be innovative and like nothing else that is out on the market. The PS3 and the XBOX360, sadly, have not brought much innovation other than better graphics and an online setting. PC gaming is where it is at, because it is constantly upgradable. The PS3 and 360 have been putting games out with graphics that I have seen barely rival Doom 3 on the PC 2 years ago. If you are looking for that edge over your friends or the best new graphics, or an online society to be a part of(cough.. internet   cough..) then just go out and get a nice PC. Not only is it a gaming system, but it is everything else that a PC does.

However, Wii is unlike anything I have seen before. The first truly interactive gaming console, next to the dorky eyetoy. That is what I would deem next generation: a change in functionality from the previous generation. Games like Excite Truck, Zelda, and the cool looking Red Steel (I hope they will come out with a Star Wars lightsaber game), the wow factor is there, rather than "Oooh, #42's jersey is moving slightly because of the wind. That is amazing!!!"

I'm just up for fun. Higher definition = flaw recognition. That's why I won't watch Soledad O'Brien in HD. It ruins it for me. Put her on a good old tube television and I'll follow every story, kind of... ::)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #42 on: November 17, 2006, 04:56:18 PM »
Well put! I think graphics have pretty much hit a wall. Games look as good as they need to. We have arrived. If we want a new system, it needs to bring better and newer kinds of games to the front. Not better graphics.

Offline Sharktopus

• Ephialtes
  • May the Porkins be with you.
« Reply #43 on: November 17, 2006, 05:01:40 PM »
I'm just up for fun. Higher definition = flaw recognition. That's why I won't watch Soledad O'Brien in HD. It ruins it for me. Put her on a good old tube television and I'll follow every story, kind of... ::)

Points for Soledad O'Brien love. I'm looking forward to the days when the newscasts have all replaced crusty old guys with newsbabes. (No, not Katie Couric. She's a newsimp.)

• Cake or Death?
« Reply #44 on: November 17, 2006, 05:24:59 PM »
Yeah. You put anybody on HD, you're gonna see flaws. I want Soledad to remain perfect.

But seriously, when Cindy Crawford is in 1080p, I can see the hairs growing out of here mole. :P