Author Topic: The Video Game Thread  (Read 17572 times)

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3989
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
The Video Game Thread
« on: November 15, 2006, 07:50:56 PM »
Since more than a few of us seem to be gamers, I thought I'd open the floor for an immense Video Game discuss-o-rama. :^)

First Topic: Who's got their Wii reserved? (I got mine!) And while we're at it, who's waiting in line for their PS3 and reading this from a laptop? :^)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
Re: The Video Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2006, 08:08:28 PM »
I love the idea behind the Wii, except for the name, and am going to buy one when I get the means.

I'm holding off purchasing a PS3 because of money, but also because I don't have a High Def TV, and I'm not wasting time and money on the best console if I can't take advantage of it.

So the Wii is tops on my list. And I can't wait to get my hands on some of the classic NES and Super NES titles!!

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2006, 08:44:30 PM »
I've got my Wii reserve.  Already bought Red Steel and Monkey Ball, Zelda is of course on the way on the 19th. 

PS3...I'm just pretty apathetic at this point.  My PS2 is my favorite system by far, but Sony is kind of irritating me with this huge price tag so that I can have a blu-ray player that I don't really care so much about and their low number of initial units shipped.  Of course, I will get one, but it will probably be late into next year when they release some must have titles (I'm willing to bet there won't be too many of those till 2008 anyway).

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 1801
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2006, 09:35:19 PM »
I'm camping at Target Sunday morning.  I didn't know it existed until after they stopped taking pre orders.  And when I saw it, I thought to myself "that looks really fun." 

I've never camped out before.  Any tips?  I'm getting there at 2 AM, doors open at 8. 

Offline SaucyRossy

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2006, 09:38:37 PM »
I have a 360 and absolutely love it. If you are into online gaming and shooters its an amazing system....I am waiting for some more RPG love other than Morrorwind though.
Right now I am playing Marvel Alliance, and Dead Rising both on the 360. Hopefully by this time next week I shall have Gears of War and will be chainsawing locust scum!

As for the Wii I will have a Wii one day....just not any time soon. If only for Zelda really.
Also I am definately NOT going to get a PS3 unless I find out that MGS4 will definately never come to the 360.
The graphics are exactly the same as the 360 and mostly all of the same games and the ones that aren't the same really don't appeal to me.

Also in this thread it would be sweet if people post what game(s) they are playing at the moment.

www.rifftraxfan.com - Check out Gammers RiffTrax Fan page!

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2006, 09:39:05 PM »
I'm camping at Target Sunday morning.  I didn't know it existed until after they stopped taking pre orders.  And when I saw it, I thought to myself "that looks really fun." 

I've never camped out before.  Any tips?  I'm getting there at 2 AM, doors open at 8. 

If you live in or near a big city you might wanna get there earlier....

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2006, 09:41:32 PM »
Right now I'm playing...

Shin Megami Tensei:  Devil Summoner
Gears of War
Sega Genesis Collection

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2006, 09:44:40 PM »
Naw, I'm pretty suburban, and a person who works there said they received 200 or so units. 

It's not so much that I need to have it, but I'm horrible at waiting indefinite periods of time.  If I know when I'll be getting something then I can put it out of my mind.  But if there's a chance that I could be receiving it in a couple days, then I'll be thinking about it constantly, waiting for it to come.  And that's how it'll be if I order it online.

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2006, 09:48:09 PM »
Naw, I'm pretty suburban, and a person who works there said they received 200 or so units. 

It's not so much that I need to have it, but I'm horrible at waiting indefinite periods of time.  If I know when I'll be getting something then I can put it out of my mind.  But if there's a chance that I could be receiving it in a couple days, then I'll be thinking about it constantly, waiting for it to come.  And that's how it'll be if I order it online.

One store receiving 200 units? A suburban store no less? I used to work in the videogame industry and I can tell you that is probably not the case with the store you will be at. For one thing I believe I just read that America is getting 800,000 consoles for the launch and most of them probably won't even be there right on launch day....just saying better safe than sorry.

Offline SaucyRossy

« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2006, 09:48:33 PM »
Right now I'm playing...

Gears of War
Sega Genesis Collection
Mrbakasan how do you like GOW? No spoilers please!

Offline Variety of Cells

• Dragon Ryder
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2006, 09:50:44 PM »

One store receiving 200 units? A suburban store no less? I used to work in the videogame industry and I can tell you that is probably not the case with the store you will be at. For one thing I believe I just read that America is getting 800,000 consoles for the launch and most of them probably won't even be there right on launch day....just saying better safe than sorry.

Yeahhhh I agree with you.  That's what she said, but i had been hearing other stores were getting like 32.  Sounded kinda fishy. Well, maybe I'll make it 1.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2006, 10:00:20 PM »
People are already, literally, camping out at Walmart and Best Buy here for the PS3. My mom works Walmart electronics and she said there were a bunch of dudes hanging out there in chairs with ice chests and stuff this morning.  Sad thing is, they're in the wrong spot but they're being so loud and dorky (playing "I'm the ultimate gamer, pay attention to me because I deserve some news coverage), nobody cares enough to tell 'em.  The news doesn't care either, apparently, because they weren't on.  Maybe tomorrow.

I was going to go to try and get a PS3 to put on ebay so I could buy my Wii but I doubt it's worth the hassle now if people are already lining up.  That store is just getting 10 PS3 (slightly more Wiis...Wii-s, Wiix?).  I've been following the release news and I don't think anyone is getting 200 of anything right off, but there is going to be another shipment of both consoles before Christmas (perhaps they'll get more then). 
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline mrbakasan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2006, 10:21:50 PM »
Right now I'm playing...

Gears of War
Sega Genesis Collection
Mrbakasan how do you like GOW? No spoilers please!

I love GOW.  Without any spoilers, I can honestly say that it is the most intesnse action game I've ever played.  The third person view is flawless.  And it is pretty darn challengeing.  I havne't finished it yet, but I'm enjoying every minute.

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 859
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2006, 01:05:37 AM »
The name of the Wii is pretty silly to me. Also I noticed that all the new ads I have seen they don't even say the name!
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Cap'n UKRiffer

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
  • Leader Of The Justice Riff League Europe
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2006, 02:17:17 AM »
I'm currently playing Marvel: Ultimate Alliance for the 360

I'm hoping to get a Wii in time for Xmas but if not, no huge loss, i'll get it sooner or later.
In brightest day, in darkest night
No DVD shall escape their sight
Let those who tremble in bad movies light,
Beware the power, Rifftrax's might!