Author Topic: Book that needs to be a movie  (Read 5887 times)

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • I wash my socks in soda water so my feet will fizz
Re: Book that needs to be a movie
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2008, 10:25:33 AM »
so THAT'S what that is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwMPZmtpWIE
...(muffin)....(butter)......

You're right... doesn't help.
They only killed half the Dinosaurs... they made the other half watch!

nummy muffin

« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2008, 10:32:25 AM »
Just realized they refer to Nummy as a guy.   Dang.  Got it wrong, again.  Anyway, I'm overly pink and hairy...Guys, the line forms to the right.  :D

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »
I'm not clear (nor do I think anyone outside of the movie production would be clear) on how much of the differences in the movie were the direct cause of Adams himself
I am 99% sure the original stuff was all Douglas. I'm 100% sure he came up with Humma Kavula (because they said so) and I very much doubt he didn't come up with the Point-Of-View gun too. I'm assuming he came up with the stuff on the Vogon planet since that's where Humma's scene led, which was also tied with the gun. But as he didn't "finish" the screenplay (as usual for him actually), I think it's fair to say he probably just didn't adapt the stuff that was the same as the novel/series, because why bother? I'd like to think he came up with the beer in the first scene. They said at some point what percentage was done before the new guy took over. And I will gladly blame (A) the romance and (B) the vice president of the galaxy or whoever she was on him as well. Those were the only parts that stunk.

(*points to Monty Python and the Holy Grail*). It can (Monty Python style humor) and has worked in film form. It would just take a lot of talent, some good luck, and some dream casting to make it work. This is what I'm talking about: Best Case Scenario
Ah, I suppose so. But it's a bit beyond good luck. What you're basically saying is akin to, "You can make an album as good as the Beatles. All you have to do is be as good as the Beatles." Even HHG with Monty Python wouldn't work because they'd still be Monty Python. And even they failed in the movies (Meaning of Life). The thing is it was easier to get into King Arthur than Arthur Dent, no matter how silly everything else got. HHG is silly on top of a random, silly story, and there really IS no premise. Hence the "get the gun" red herring subplot of the movie.

I'm gay for the books and not particularly the other adaptations, iterations, or versions of the work.
But you can NEVER translate the writing of a novel into a movie. It's impossible. It's never been done. You can translate a narration, and if the dialogue is smashing, fantastic. But the prose is lost to paper. If the Book didn't work in the movie, that was the best they could do. What you have to work with is the idea of a book, and there is no idea in these books. There's hundreds of ideas. You could make an animated Pixar movie of the planet of the biros (pens).

I'd imagine writing a screenplay based on So Long and Thanks for All the Fish would be an absolute bitch of a task.
Are we talking in context of a popular franchise here? Does it have to be a successful adaptation? It has the markings of an odd rom-com, but explaining the backstory and having spaceships and things wouldn't really work so well. And the story sorts of ends with Marvin, and it's like "WhoTF is Marvin?" It's like the movie, except with Fenchurch added and all the action and adventure removed.

Offline mlcorcoran

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • role reversal
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2008, 11:35:53 AM »
Remake "Bonfire of the Vanities" by Tom Wolfe, and make it good this time

with:
Aaron Eckhardt as Sherman McCoy
Adam Goldberg as Larry Kramer
Tom Wilkinson as Peter Fallow
Samuel L. Jackson as Reverend Bacon

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2008, 11:59:40 AM »

Edit: open mouth, insert foot.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 05:35:36 PM by basselope »

nummy muffin

« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2008, 02:04:40 PM »
 :) So back to the discussion at hand...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008, 12:02:11 PM by nummy muffin »

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2008, 05:31:07 PM »
... back to the discussion at hand...

Aye,aye Capt'n Muffin!
My apologies.

Offline Jinto

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2008, 10:53:46 AM »
Dresden Files and make it rated R.

It's already been a TV series.

How 'bout Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time series?  Well, the early books, at least...

This is a series of books that would need a TV series, not a movie.

Some books could be movies, but others, like series, should be made into decent limited-length TV series or at least mini-series. A single movie would cut out way too much material from a book series, and making multiple movies to cover the entire story would take too long (releasing 1 every 1-3 years? bah!). So what would you want? 3 movies at about 2 hours each (total 6 hours) or a tv series of say 20-40 episodes at about 30 mins to an hour each? (many, many hours of storytelling) that come out once a week to keep you interested?

For those in the know, this series, if it gets made, has great potential, and I'm glad it would be a series and not a content-butchered-to-fit-a-measely-2-hours movie or meager-6-hour-trilogy of movies:
http://www.tvsquad.com/2007/01/17/george-r-r-martin-novels-to-become-hbo-series/

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2008, 05:22:56 PM »
I can think of two that would make spectacular movies--- IF THEY WERE DONE RIGHT. I'd rather they were never done than done wrong, but, here goes: "Ringworld", and "Dream Park."

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2008, 05:30:56 PM »
I can think of two that would make spectacular movies--- IF THEY WERE DONE RIGHT. I'd rather they were never done than done wrong, but, here goes: "Ringworld", and "Dream Park."

Haven't read Dream Park. I've thought about Ringworld on film for a long time and just always thought "Nah... they'd never get it right."
But LOTR turned out well above my expectations, so sure, why not!

Maybe they could manage the "Dancers at the End of Time" series!............... nah! Probably not.  :D

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2008, 04:04:12 PM »
Adams-Wise:

I think that a lot of Douglas Adams's humor is in his description, but I'd also say that a huge amount of it is in the concepts. He has a ideas that generate funnyness. Vogons, Marvin, Improbability Drive, etc. I also think the loss of description doesn't completely apply, because he can still fit in that humorous way of saying things in the guide entries.

Trillian-wise, I think I like the movie trillian better, just because she's actually a character. In the books, the radio series, etc., she has absolutely no dimension whatsoever other than "Arthur Dent's Out-of-his-league Love Interest". That's it. She becomes something like a character in Mostly Harmless, but it also goes against her previous character, such as it was. She's just nebuously heartless and career-driven.

Yeah, trillian arthur romance was played up, but given that the whole reason she exists is Arthur needed somebody to pine for and be jealous about, can you blame them?

Abarat, I would be interested in, but wouldn't dare submit to the hollywood process. Thank gods the would-be disney-made version didn't go through. I would have felt compelled to see it.

Sabriel I think would make an awesome movie. It's straightforward enough that it would take any decent director and/or producer should be able to pull it through and scripting shouldn't be too hard. I just hope they'd find the right actors for our protag and mogget.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 04:06:34 PM by Fuzzy Necromancer »
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2008, 04:59:19 PM »
Maybe they could manage the "Dancers at the End of Time" series!............... nah! Probably not.  :D

Ooh I'd like to see that, Mrs. Underwood is smoking
« Last Edit: April 25, 2008, 08:05:00 PM by TripeHoundRedux »

Kzinistzerg

« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2008, 08:02:14 PM »
Oh, Sabriel would be PERFECT! If they didn't screw it up, of course.

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2008, 11:54:21 AM »
Yeah, totally. :D

I wouldn't say it's foolproof, but it's a lot easier to make a well-done screen adaptation of it than, say, Abarat, or American Gods. The biggest possible blunders would be if they tried to make it more "conventional" (IE pull an E-raggon, take the book and remove everything that makes it original and distinctive with a scalpel, then paste on some LotR-esque shots), or if they had some vapid "one-dimensional love interest" girl as the main lead, like Megan Fox with half a pint of white make-up and black hair dye.  Also, they must find somebody with serious creds to play Mogget. Mogget FTW!
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2008, 05:12:33 AM »
The graphic novel "Ocean" by Warren Ellis. It's basically an action movie in book form already.

Carnacki the Ghost Finder, by William Hope Hodgson.