Author Topic: Book that needs to be a movie  (Read 5888 times)

nummy muffin

Re: Book that needs to be a movie
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2008, 10:00:36 PM »
Does anyone else think Scott Speedman would've made the perfect Wheel of Time "Rand?"  He's no superstar, so it wouldn't distract.  I thought they were coming out with a film or game, but guess not?

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2008, 03:18:38 AM »
Get someone competent to make an actual Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Terry Gilliam?
That would be impossible. I mean... I could write it. I have a good handle of Douglas' style, but since they flopped the first movie there's no way they can make a sequel to it. It would be really hard to get another version of the first book/movie off of the ground just on the off chance that it's successful enough for a franchise. I thought the film was fine. There wasn't anything wrong with it. Other than the fact that general audiences just don't "get" it. It's too out there. It's MORE out there than Dune, even with all the humor. Plus they didn't translate any of the British jokes, and while that might have made fans happy, it wouldn't have helped word of mouth.

Barry Sonnenfeld or Jay Roach would have been good choices to direct, but it's just too late now. If they tried it again, we'd probably end up with Will Smith as Arthur, Jessica Biel as Trillian, and maybe they'd get Ford right and have a better Marvin, but it wouldn't be enough. You'd have to combine both movies into a 'phantom edit.' And imagine the migraines involved in trying to use all the parts that weren't in the first movie or tell it differently enough while still having the same story.

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • I wash my socks in soda water so my feet will fizz
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2008, 04:17:55 AM »
Does anyone else think Scott Speedman would've made the perfect Wheel of Time "Rand?"  He's no superstar, so it wouldn't distract.  I thought they were coming out with a film or game, but guess not?
I had a reply... but your screen name got me all screwed up... now I can't focus... 
They only killed half the Dinosaurs... they made the other half watch!

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2008, 05:28:38 AM »
Get someone competent to make an actual Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series. Terry Gilliam?
That would be impossible. I mean... I could write it. I have a good handle of Douglas' style, but since they flopped the first movie there's no way they can make a sequel to it. It would be really hard to get another version of the first book/movie off of the ground just on the off chance that it's successful enough for a franchise. I thought the film was fine. There wasn't anything wrong with it. Other than the fact that general audiences just don't "get" it. It's too out there. It's MORE out there than Dune, even with all the humor. Plus they didn't translate any of the British jokes, and while that might have made fans happy, it wouldn't have helped word of mouth.

What I'm talking about is a do-over, because personally, I hated the movie. Well, hated is a strong word- the translation was handled poorly. I know that Douglas Adams always said that each version, each iteration of the HHGTTG would be different- yet, I hate the idea that Arthur was turned into "generic everyman movie hero" a la Jeffrey Jones in Mom and Dad Save the World or John Ritter in Tuned In. Notice both of those examples kind of suck as movies. One of the things I enjoyed about the books is that Arthur is more driftwood than hero. He's painfully out of his depth, out of touch- just sort of passively being taken through all of the madness in the universe. That indifference would be hard for a director to use without doing something drastic... like changing his character. Thus, a better director is required. On top of that, most of Douglas Adams' genius is in the way he describes what's happening, rather than a lot of hilarious dialog. In order to get any of that onscreen, you're going to need a director who is a great visual stylist. A La Terry Gilliam. Heck- forget making a series of movies. Do a series on HBO, like Rome- spend 100 million bucks on a season. The effects don't have to be ultra realistic (just anything above the old BBC show would be nice), and hell- while I'm talking SUPER-ULTRA-MEGA-DREAMS here, getting Nick Frost, Edgar Wright, and Simon Pegg on that would be cool, too. Also, 70s era Pam Grier and Linda Carter would oil-wrestle every night fighting over who gets to do the devil's dance with me, and it would always end in a tie.

Barry Sonnenfeld or Jay Roach would have been good choices to direct, but it's just too late now. If they tried it again, we'd probably end up with Will Smith as Arthur, Jessica Biel as Trillian, and maybe they'd get Ford right and have a better Marvin, but it wouldn't be enough. You'd have to combine both movies into a 'phantom edit.' And imagine the migraines involved in trying to use all the parts that weren't in the first movie or tell it differently enough while still having the same story.

Good points, sir. Hat-tip in your direction.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2008, 05:30:40 AM »
You know what? I'd rather see them do The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2386
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2008, 05:55:00 AM »
I'm just wondering how you think Marvin could have been done better.  I thought the combination of Warwick's movements and Alan Rickman as the voice got that character across perfectly.  Other than designing the suit differently, what would you do?
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2008, 05:59:51 AM »
Personally I don'ty think anyone does the voice better than Stephen Moore (Wish radio head had got him to sing on Paranoid Anfdroid)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2008, 07:47:23 AM »
What I'm talking about is a do-over, because personally, I hated the movie.
Well that's a bit rude. You know Douglas wrote most of it, don't you?

On top of that, most of Douglas Adams' genius is in the way he describes what's happening
Most of his genius must not have been in the radio series then.

I hate the idea that Arthur was turned into "generic everyman movie hero"
Well, so it had a Hollywood ending. If he didn't even get the girl, you'd realize that he didn't do much of anything. I don't think he did anything heroic. He saved Trillian in a really mundane way, and he stopped himself getting lobotomized. Didn't Marvin save everybody at the end? Anyway, I'm sure fans hated him being with Trillian, but they don't seem to realize what a pointless character Trillian was. She disappeared in the middle of  the radio series (said to have married some prince or something) and never showed up again. I recall she was written back into the third book, but then she disappeared from the fourth book and ended up in the fifth book with a connection to Arthur involving a total lack of intimacy. It's a bit much to have two characters with no purpose. That's the problem with trying to adapt the Hitchhiker's Guide. Pretty much none of it has any purpose. It's like hours and hours of Monty Python sketches strung together much in the way that Python sketches were. I think it confuses people because they expect it to make sense and assume they don't understand how it does.

As for Dirk Gently, I could never get my head around what kind of hat and coat he was supposed to be wearing or the idea that he was insanely British yet completely unlike Sherlock Holmes. So I just pictured him like Bogart to help me get through the books, but a film would be disastrous. Would fans settle for a red fedora and a trenchcoat?

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2008, 07:59:14 AM »
It's too bad we'll never get to see the Dent/Fenchurch romance on the big screen. Now THAT was a couple.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2008, 08:06:00 AM »
Personally I'd have loved to have seen Agrajag

Offline GalvaTRION

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 4
  • Damn you, Bay.
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2008, 08:21:17 AM »
What I'm talking about is a do-over, because personally, I hated the movie.
Well that's a bit rude. You know Douglas wrote most of it, don't you?

How's that rude? And I'm not clear (nor do I think anyone outside of the movie production would be clear) on how much of the differences in the movie were the direct cause of Adams himself, but I suspect that since real movement (i.e. not just screenwriting or pre production or development) on the movie only started AFTER he died that anything bad about the movie is someone else's fault. I have no evidence to back that up, but until I note otherwise, I'll be blissfully ignorant.

On top of that, most of Douglas Adams' genius is in the way he describes what's happening
Most of his genius must not have been in the radio series then.

Haven't heard the radio series, I'm aware it came before the novel, you're sounding a little condescending here.

I hate the idea that Arthur was turned into "generic everyman movie hero"
Well, so it had a Hollywood ending. If he didn't even get the girl, you'd realize that he didn't do much of anything. I don't think he did anything heroic. He saved Trillian in a really mundane way, and he stopped himself getting lobotomized. Didn't Marvin save everybody at the end? Anyway, I'm sure fans hated him being with Trillian, but they don't seem to realize what a pointless character Trillian was. She disappeared in the middle of  the radio series (said to have married some prince or something) and never showed up again. I recall she was written back into the third book, but then she disappeared from the fourth book and ended up in the fifth book with a connection to Arthur involving a total lack of intimacy. It's a bit much to have two characters with no purpose. That's the problem with trying to adapt the Hitchhiker's Guide. Pretty much none of it has any purpose. It's like hours and hours of Monty Python sketches strung together much in the way that Python sketches were. I think it confuses people because they expect it to make sense and assume they don't understand how it does.

(*points to Monty Python and the Holy Grail*). It can (Monty Python style humor) and has worked in film form. It would just take a lot of talent, some good luck, and some dream casting to make it work. This is what I'm talking about: Best Case Scenario, not Realistic Scenario (as I believe was made clear by the Pam Grier/Linda Carter comment). Realistic Scenarios suck, as is evidenced by the HHGTTG movie. You like the adaptation, fine. I don't. But then, I'm gay for the books and not particularly the other adaptations, iterations, or versions of the work.

GregMcduck: The merging of Trillian and Fenchurch's characters was annoying, but not surprising. I prefer the Dent/Fenchurch ('fenny', heh) romance myself, though I'd imagine writing a screenplay based on So Long and Thanks for All the Fish would be an absolute bitch of a task.

anais.jude

« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2008, 08:40:11 AM »
the robot was funny *drool*

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2008, 08:46:53 AM »

Now your just depressing me...
Killing me won't bring back your Goddamned honey!

Offline basselope

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • I wash my socks in soda water so my feet will fizz
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2008, 09:13:58 AM »
Get someone competent to make an actual Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Cripes! That's it! Paul Donovan of Lexx fame!
He's certainly warped enough, and he assembled a phenomenal pool of talent for Lexx. I don't think I've ever seen better for the kind of budget they had to work with. And, of course, Lex Gigeroff could likely write a fine script.

I'm biased, admittedly, but still..... (nummy).......(muffin)...... damn, it's gone again.
They only killed half the Dinosaurs... they made the other half watch!

nummy muffin

« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2008, 09:18:22 AM »
As in Coocol Butter.  No, wait that doesn't help...