login

Author Topic: I found a way to fix the low dialogue volume.  (Read 10860 times)

Offline Earthbound_X

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
I found a way to fix the low dialogue volume.
« on: April 12, 2008, 08:13:35 PM »
I've had this problem since my first Rifftrax, low dialogue volume.
So I came here to check the forums, I found a few topics on it, but not any that could help someone with my lower of knowledge about codecs.
So after downloading all the codecs in the  If the RiffTrax DVD Player doesn't work for you... read this topic, I kinda found the fix by accident.
When I went into DVD settings on the Rifftrax player, then to codec properties, I clicked on the view proprieties of the AC3 Filter.

Then while messing with that, turn the bar for Gain options(Whatever that means), and turned it all the way up to +20dbs, and that fixed the dialogue volume problem!

So just download the AC3 Filter here
http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ac3filter/

I hope this helps other people, it was an annoying problem.

Oh, and the codec info will only show up if you already loaded the DVD up!

Maybe ya should sticky this so it can help everyone in the future.

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
Re: I found a way to fix the low dialogue volume.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2008, 08:39:42 PM »
Good info... stickied.

Offline tneelilsupaguy

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 01:15:55 AM »
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! ;D

Offline rock995

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 05:52:45 PM »
Man, that was great!   Really fixed my problem with the  dvd dialog volume levels, now I can enjoy the Rifftrax Player a whole lot better.

Thanks!  Thanks!!  Thanks!!!  Earthbound_X :clap:

Offline CM916

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 06:24:04 PM »
Awesome! I thought there was just something wrong with my Saw DVD but when Two Towers had the same issue, I came straight here. You are a hero to millions sir.
Member, ICWXP Info Club

Offline AnimeHeretic

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:15:01 AM »
In my case, I checked the DVD audio when I saw this thread and saw it was set for default.  I chose custom and the codecs for my Interwin player... and the jump in volume ripped my head off.

I'm guessing the default is the problem, if codec is not specified

Offline Lord_Atmo

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 06:20:22 PM »
It didn't work for me. I tried that. Ever since i installed the update for the player, my dialog started to suck. And I don't have any way of obtaining the old one. Please help!

Offline vampirehunter42

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 2
  • Arvel Crynyd A-wing pilot
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2008, 08:42:12 AM »
An add on to the above. And done in the same place.

If you only have two speakers on your computer as I do change the 'Output format' to 2/0 stereo. Also another thing that can help is going to the 'Gains' tab and raising the 'Voice' bar as needed. The problem is most movies have all the dialog going out the center speaker and if you have only two speakers your computer has no place to send it. They spend millions of dollars on a movie and they keep the dialog if played in mono. But this helped me.
Some of my favorite 'Things to Remember When I Become Evil Overlord'
56. My Legions of Terror will be trained in basic marksmanship. Any who cannot learn to hit a man-sized target at 10 meters will be used for target practice.

Offline Earthbound_X

• Blue Beer Drinker
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2008, 08:34:42 PM »
Nice to know this has helped some people.  :)

I still can't believe I found this randomly.

I know it's not a perfect fix, as the music still stays pretty high in volume.

I'm used to turning down the volume when the music picks up pretty high.   :-\

Offline EKS511

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2008, 03:14:52 PM »
I went to the site you gave and chose download for the ac3filter.  Now it's giving me two links, one for an exe file and another for a zip file.  Which one should I download?

Offline gorngonewild

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
I downloaded the exe file (right click, save target as). Download,  Installed, clicked off Custom filters setting then clicked off the ACfilter in the audio setting box and BOOM! Sound again.  I noticed I lost the sound a while ago even on older riffs that once worked they where now too low, I guess one of the updates to the riff player? Thanks for the awesome post!  After downloading the riffplayer it spoiled me, I only listed on the PC now.

Steve
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:55:04 PM by gorngonewild »

Offline xrampage16

• Global Moderator
  • I AM the Burger King!
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2009, 11:33:44 AM »
Most of the time, when you see the ability to download a zip file, or exe file, the exe file in the installer program. The zip will either contain the exe file (in order to make the exe smaller) or it will contain the source code if you want to compile it yourself.

As for GAIN, that allows you to increase/decrease the decimal levels of audio.

The AC3Filter that they refer to will allow you to manually override those settings, since it seems that the default values are inadequate to your listening needs.

Offline prunebush

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2009, 07:46:55 PM »
Wow!  They should totally give you all the free RiffTrax you can eat for this.  I was about to give up on RiffTrax as an idea that looked good on paper but is actually more trouble than it's worth.  (I was consoling myself by buying the shorts, but I had given up on buying the full movie tracks--and I'm a MSTie from was back to season 1 on the Comedy Channel before the merger with HA! that created Comedy Central.)

Your suggestion fixed my problem, and now I'm gonna buy some movies!

Tell 'em I said that we elected you king of RiffTrax and you can have all you want any time.

Thanks!!

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 241
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2009, 08:05:44 PM »
"More trouble than it's worth" - how so? We'd be genuinely curious in your feedback. Thanks!

Offline prunebush

• Disembaudio's Squadio
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2009, 08:44:47 PM »
Here's what I meant by the "more trouble than it's worth" comment...

I got all fired up after seeing the awesome live show on Thursday (in Lincoln, NE) and went to buy some stuff online.

I bought two full-movie RiffTrax and tried the self-sync method with my home DVD player and my Sansa MP3 playing playing through some speakers.  On BOTH movies (Twilight and Spiderman), I would have it synced up fine, and the DVD would creep ahead of the MP3 riff playback.  Literally every 3 or 4 minutes I'd have to pause the DVD for a couple of seconds to restore sync--all the way through both movies.  This TOTALLY distracted from the funny and would actually have been near-impossible if I had been appropriately intoxicated for the endeavor!

This sync problem made me wonder if different hardware MP3 players might have slightly different "clock speeds" or something.  It was always the DVD that got ahead of the riffs, and this had to be corrected FREQUENTLY.  No fun.

Plus, even when the DVD and riffs were in sync, with no ducking I could not seem to get sound levels that worked well at all.  Another constant distraction.

Thought I could still enjoy RiffTrax on the free software player, and downloaded that.  No workee.  Problem #1 was that it totally failed to recognize the existence of an inserted DVD--play buttons were greyed out--even though other software DVD players on the same computer played them fine.  (I already had PowerDVD installed and lots o'codecs and STILL had this problem.  On another post, someone had suggested the K_Lite codec pack as a fix, and it DID work!  I was THRILLED.

Then I sat down with my daughter to watch Spiderman on the computer, the DVD sound and riffs worked GREAT through the opening credits, but when the actual movie started, there was ZERO audible DVD dialogue!!!  (Music, sfx, and riffs were loud and clear, but NO character dialogue at all.)  I came here looking for a fix and found this post, which DID fix it.  If not for that--as big a MSTie as I have been for decades-- I would have deemed RiffTrax more trouble than it was worth and consoled myself with only buying the pre-synced shorts for 99 cents.

Thanks for asking!