login

Author Topic: Scam O'Clock  (Read 67893 times)

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2163
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
Re: Scam O'Clock
« Reply #675 on: September 06, 2017, 12:08:16 PM »
My mom very nearly fell for one of those. They target older people. It goes a little something like this:

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2468-how-computer-tech-support-sometimes-just-evil-scam.html

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 67
« Reply #676 on: September 06, 2017, 12:16:55 PM »
That's sickening. Happens all the time though unfortunately.  :(

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #677 on: September 06, 2017, 12:55:56 PM »
That's a horrible scam, and it's sad to say it could be worse.  At least the Home Shopping Network will be content with just selling an expensive product.  I'm trying to remember the story about the guy from Malwarebytes (I believe, I could be mistaken) who intentionally allowed one of those 'Microsoft' scammers to remote access his computer.  When they asked for his credit card and he intentionally took a long time to give it to them, they started just deleting folders off of his computer, swore at him, and then disconnected.  Thankfully it was just a test computer, but it's amazing what people are willing to do to other people for a couple of bucks, and then don't get it.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #678 on: September 06, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »
They had a piece on my local news not too long ago where somebody pretending to be a relative would call up their grandparent and ask for bail money or something. One such grandmother was suspicious and called the news about this. They had one call on the live news and you could clearly hear the scammers say over the phone "She didn't fall for it".

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2947
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
« Reply #679 on: September 08, 2017, 02:22:14 AM »
Share The Joy With Me. USD$800,000

David Mark [davidmarkonly2@gmail.com]

Dear Friend,

Share The Joy With Me. USD$800,000

I am very happy to inform you about my success in getting that fund
transferred. Now I want you to contact my secretary and ask him for a
cheque worth of USD$800,000 which I kept for you as a compensation of
your past assistance to me no matter you did not complete it with me. His contact details is below;

Name:   SOLOMON OGUGUA.
Email; ( solomonogugua@yahoo.com )
Tel: Tel: +234-81551-87662

Kindly reconfirm to him the following information below:

Your full name_____________________
Your address_____________________
Your country___________________________
Your age______________________________
Your occupation________________________
Your Phone number______________________

Note that if you did not send him the above information complete,he
will not release the cheque to you because he has to be sure that it
is you. Note also that I will not be reached by email or phone at this
moment because I am currently in London for investment trip with my
share.

Regards,
Mr David Mark
Yeah share this ... ::)

Offline Retro Muppet Pastor

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 10
  • Now available in minty fresh flavor.
« Reply #680 on: September 17, 2017, 01:28:32 AM »
I got this in my Spam folder:

Office Of The Director,
Christopher A. Wray,
Federal Bureau Of Investigation,
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW, Washington, D.C. 20535-0001, USA.

Attention: Beneficiary,

Greetings of the day to you and your family. It  has come to the notice of the Financial Crimes Section (FCS) of the Federal Bureau Of Investigation (FBI), International Monetary Fund (IMF), United Nations (UN) and other world governing bodies about your outrageous dealings with internet scammers/impostors.

From the intelligence report made available to us, we found out that you have been in communication with these hoodlums, who are bent on extorting money from you endlessly and have been using your data in perpetrating frauds.  The report also revealed that they have filed for the claim of your over due inheritance/contract payment of US$8,000,000.00 in an escrow account of the Central Bank of Nigeria with your personal data (provided to them by you) through their foreign cohort, in person of Mrs. Joan B Melvin of New York.

In view of this, you are strictly advised to STOP further communications with those scammers. And thereby contact the governor's office of the Central Bank of Nigeria via the below details for the transfer of your inheritance/contract payment.

NAME: MR. GODWIN EMEFIELE
OFFICE ADDRESS: Central Bank of Nigeria,
Central Business District,
Cadastral Zone, Abuja, Federal.
Capital Territory, Nigeria.
Email: cenbnkng0015@aol.com

NOTE: You should ignore any message that does not come from the above email address and phone number for security reasons. And to enable the Central Bank of Nigeria to process and release the fund to you, you are demanded to re-confirm your full details such as:

FULL NAMES:
CITY:
STATE:
ZIP:
SEX:

Ensure that you follow the Central Bank of Nigeria due process as enshrined in the International Banking Secrecy Act to avoid any form of discrepancy, which may hinder your fund transfer.  It is also recommendable important you forward your email communications with those scammers/impostors to my special account below for adequate investigations.

Thanks for your understanding and cooperation as we earnestly await your urgent reply.

Best Regards,
Christopher A. Wray,
Federal Bureau of Investigation
J. Edgar Hoover Building,
935 Pennsylvania Avenue,
NW, Washington, D.C.
E-mail: usfbidirector015@aol.com

I've heard of this sort of scam, which relies on further scamming people who have already been scammed by these 419 scams.  They purport to be some agency of law enforcement who can help a poor victim get his money back.  I find that sort of kicking a man when he's down to be extra despicable.

Now, I probably wouldn't believe the head of the FBI is at "usfbidirector015@aol.com", but then again I'm not a desperate person already proven to be vulnerable to scams.
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #681 on: September 17, 2017, 01:44:49 AM »
Also got this one.  I work in a job that requires Secret security clearance.  Right now, I'm working with an Interim Secret clearance, which is tied to my current job.  So I lose it if I leave this job.  I'm still in the process of getting the full Secret clearance which takes longer and will stay with me from job to job.  So I wonder if the scammers harvested my E-Mail because of that, or if it's just coincidence.

I like that they are up front in asking for the money... usually the scammers wait a few rounds of E-Mail to soften up the mark.  These guys just use threatening language to scare you.  Don't even THINK of disputing us or calling anyone else or not giving us the money immediately, or else we'll arrest you as a terrorist and throw your ass in jail!

But the message seems kinda mixed...  It starts and ends by talking about a security clearance certificate, but in the middle it talks about releasing funds.  Am I paying for a security clearance or am I paying to get some money released?????

Attention:

You are to contact the U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS) Washington, D.C to obtain your Clearance Certificate, find below their contact information's:

Contact Person: Stevan Bunnell
General Counsel
U.S. Department of Homeland Security (DHS)
Email: stevanbunnell64@gmail.com
Washington DC Mailing Address U.S. Department of Homeland Security Washington, D.C. 20528.

Ensure you contact (DHS) with your Full Name, Address and phone number/cell number.
Contact the DHS via Email with the information above immediately, once you contact them I will get back to you or else I will have an agent come visit you at home for questioning.

Furthermore, be advised that according to the United State Law together with the Federal Bureau of Investigation rules and regulations, you are to obtain the document from the DHS. Also note that you are to take care of the cost of the Clearance Certificate, which will be issued in your name. Due to the content of the Clearance Certificate and how important and secured the document is, you as the beneficiary will send the DHS the sum of $350 Dollars only for the issuing of the Clearance Certificate. That is the lay down rules for the DHS to release such sensitive document; DHS will issue you the authentic and original copy of the Clearance Certificate with a seal on it for verification and approval.

You are hereby advised to Contact them through the email address above to make an inquiry concerning how you will send the official fee to them. Note that you are to observe this immediately, if you really want your funds to be credited to your personal bank account and to avoid any legal battle with the security operatives over this matter. We have already informed the DHS about the present situation go ahead and contact them immediately.
Your funds are under our custody and will not be released to you unless the required document is confirmed, after that the fund will be release to you immediately without any delay.

NOTE: We have asked for the above document to make available the most completed and up-to date records possible for no criminal justice purposes. The documents will clarify the intensity of this fund; exonerate it from money laundry, scam and terrorism.

WARNING: Failure to provide the above requirement in the next 24 hours, legal action will be taken immediately by arresting and detaining you as soon as international court of justice issues a warrant of arrest, if you are found guilty, you will be jailed as terrorism, drug trafficking and money laundering is a serious problem in our community today and the world at large. The F.B.I will not stop at any length in tracking down and prosecuting any criminal who indulges in this criminal act. Nobody is above the law and the law is not a respecter of anybody. We presume you are law abiding and would not want to have scuffles with the authority, in and outside of the United States.

We are charged with the responsibility of implementing legal norms and our authority is irrevocable so don't dare dispute our instruction, just act as instructed. The person you know will not help you in this matter rather abide by this instruction.

Note: You are to contact DHS with your full names, phone number/cell number and full address via the email which I stated above immediately, for the processing of your Clearance Certificate within the next 48 hours.

Faithfully Yours
Thomas Dinapoli
Office of the New York State Comptroller
NYS Comptroller
I'm not particularly religious, and I don't really like Muppets, but I do love word play.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #682 on: September 28, 2017, 08:41:32 AM »
Your Reply Means alot to me

Sarah Rasheed [sarah.rasheed@etac.ae]

Dearest, Let me fist introduce myself, My name is Sarah Rasheed. I'm an origin from Syrian, I had no child yet. I have important subject to discuss with you that will profit the both of us and fetch us huge amount of Money. Reply if interested to Know more. Sarah
OOO She's into fisting :o :P

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2143
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #683 on: September 28, 2017, 10:21:11 AM »
Your Reply Means alot to me

Sarah Rasheed [sarah.rasheed@etac.ae]

Dearest, Let me fist introduce myself, My name is Sarah Rasheed. I'm an origin from Syrian, I had no child yet. I have important subject to discuss with you that will profit the both of us and fetch us huge amount of Money. Reply if interested to Know more. Sarah
OOO She's into fisting :o :P

Well, being and origin she would be...     :rimshot:

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #684 on: September 28, 2017, 11:54:14 AM »
Kind of goes to show you that a lack of good grammar can kind of be a good tip-off as to whether or not something is a scam. I'm also pretty sure anybody working in a government agency wouldn't use a gmail account for agency business. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #685 on: September 28, 2017, 12:40:40 PM »
Kind of goes to show you that a lack of good grammar can kind of be a good tip-off as to whether or not something is a scam. I'm also pretty sure anybody working in a government agency wouldn't use a gmail account for agency business. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about that.

I've heard that sometimes the scammers will intentionally use poor grammar.  They are trying to look dumb to make the intended victim feel confident that he can swindle the dumb foreigner.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #686 on: September 28, 2017, 12:54:45 PM »
Huh... that's weird.  :o

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #687 on: October 06, 2017, 09:21:00 AM »
afodinkpanwankpa0195@gmail.com; on behalf of; Advct. Dieter Haider [scrtry.helebabe13579@gmail.com]

Dear friend, I mailed you earlier without a response, in my first message to you recently, I made mention of the fact that led me to contact you as a matter of urgency and its importance, nevertheless I ask you to confirm the receipt of my earlier message and please do not forget about the time factor.
With an email like helebabe, it must be important :o

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 2163
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #688 on: October 06, 2017, 11:09:07 AM »
SECRETARY Helebabe. Obviously the administrative assistant for an elite squad of babes in helicopters.

Offline Russoguru

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #689 on: October 06, 2017, 12:06:32 PM »
SECRETARY Helebabe. Obviously the administrative assistant for an elite squad of babes in helicopters.
Okay obviously somebody needs to put forth more effort into carefully choosing usernames for their emails.