login

Author Topic: The 'Just Plain Beautiful' Pictures Thread  (Read 16969 times)

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 354
Re: The 'Just Plain Beautiful' Pictures Thread
« Reply #105 on: April 22, 2018, 08:23:29 PM »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 4301
« Reply #106 on: April 22, 2018, 08:39:12 PM »
Not wholly sure what I'm looking at, but I agree, the flame pattern and the coloring contrast between the flames and background is beautiful. :)
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 354
« Reply #107 on: April 22, 2018, 08:58:12 PM »
It's from Battlebots, Blacksmith (the hammer with the flamethrower built in) vs Warhead (with it's Dino head attachment on).

Online Variety of Cells

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 1314
« Reply #108 on: April 24, 2018, 12:56:57 PM »
As a gift, my sister illustrated this for me.  It's a recreation of a photo my dad took when I was a kid (the original is spoilered below).  He is by no means a photographer, he just happened to take a beautifully framed photo.  I've always loved the way it looked, from the lighting and the contrast, the dappled light on the house from the sun coming through the trees, to the way your eye is drawn to me being a goofball by my cousin and those old ladies looking at me.  And I enjoy that my mom is hiding her face with a red book, which is exactly something she would do. 

I wanted to get it blown up and printed nice and large, but I could never find the negative.  So my sister illustrated it for me.  She did a great job, and it turned out perfect.  I also like the level of intent it adds to the piece.  It's no longer just a happy accident, I have decided it's art and is worth preserving. 

I just went down to the printers today to order a print.  Going to get a giclee print on canvas, 24"x33.8", which will give it a painted feel, especially with the brush strokes she used.  Should have a test ready by this weekend.  I'm excited. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This gives a better idea of the detail in the piece. 

« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 01:00:53 PM by Variety of Cells »

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #109 on: May 13, 2018, 03:01:47 AM »
To dispel some of the misconceptions about head injuries you have developed from watching movies and TV, I wrote this: ...Some Information on Head Injury Effects

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2018, 06:09:31 PM »
The people submitting this to http://awwww-cute.tumblr.com/ wrote that they were told this was a black cat when they adopted it when it was just a kitten.  It was only when it grew up that they found it had this gorgeous red tint.

(picture is much bigger if you want to see more detail: right-click, 'view picture')

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #111 on: August 01, 2018, 09:37:16 AM »
Anyone know what plant this is?  The color of these buds is amazing/beautiful!

Offline LucasM

• Ephialtes
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2018, 11:44:39 AM »
Anyone know what plant this is?  The color of these buds is amazing/beautiful!

It took me a bit to recognize one of the reasons I found this so astonishing: they (especially the one on the left) look like the texture of Dormammu's face from the Doctor Strange film!

Offline MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2396
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2018, 12:22:15 PM »
Google image search only finds the same image (iphone background image).  Nothing natural comes up.  My guess would be those are not the natural colors of the plant, that the colors were altered to use as a background.

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4543
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #114 on: November 07, 2018, 11:14:56 AM »

Offline Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 4543
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #115 on: December 07, 2018, 10:47:07 AM »