Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 137237 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 61
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1530 on: January 10, 2018, 06:07:28 PM »
Been very, very stressful at work the last couple of months and the wife is working late every night this weekend and then going to see her mother next weekend. I've pretty much blown off everyone who wanted to do anything and plan to stay at home and watch MST3K (and this upcoming Fridays Rifftrax release- per the info on Drip it sounds horrifying).
I've put together a list of 6 episodes I can't remember much about, 1 of my favorite episodes, and the last few rarities I've never seen (that crappy recording of half of the live show from 1992 and the 5 "rough cut" episodes) and I'm extremely excited about relaxing with a few beers and watching everything on the list.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 9
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #1531 on: January 11, 2018, 08:52:40 AM »
922 Overdrawn At The Memory Bank. I find it ironic that there were many fat jokes in this episode (and in Final Justice) when Mike, Kevin, and Bill wouldn't dare make those jokes to Mary Jo Pehl’s (or Pearl Forrester's) face. I guess it's just a show and I should really just relax…

Offline linszoid

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #1532 on: January 11, 2018, 10:22:32 AM »
I wouldn't be surprised if Mary Jo wrote half those jokes.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1533 on: January 12, 2018, 07:06:39 PM »
18 The Million Eyes of Sumuru
Good: the amount and pace of the riffs had improved greatly by this time in the KTMA run. Treating the premise with the appropriate amount of seriousness and complaining about the torture of the bad movie. Not doing that was part of what I really disliked about Season 11 (Season 11 having too many self references to MST3K being a show instead of an experiment and virtually no references to the experiment being painful).
Bad: Riffs just weren't very funny.
Observations: Maybe it was explained why and I missed it, but Josh/J Elvis/Servo wasn't in the theater for the last third of the movie.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3902
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #1534 on: January 12, 2018, 07:50:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure reading somewhere (the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, maybe) that there were times people had to leave town for work reasons.  When Trace left, they put that into the plot.  I think with Josh... they just didn't.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 9
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #1535 on: January 13, 2018, 04:54:40 PM »
I'm pretty sure reading somewhere (the Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, maybe) that there were times people had to leave town for work reasons.  When Trace left, they put that into the plot.  I think with Josh... they just didn't.

Yeah, Dr. Laurence Erhardt fell victim to Chuck Cunningham syndrome due to J. Elvis Weinstein's departure.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1536 on: January 13, 2018, 05:41:57 PM »
21 The Legend of Dinosaurs
Thought the riffs were much funnier than KTMA 18 that I watched last night. We get a "Kitty" from Crow and some singalongs to the bad movie music. I always find the Japanese monster movies to be hit or miss due to so many of them having such similar plots and while this one didn't stand out as being unique as a movie, the riffing would lead to me putting it in my hit column.

The rough cuts (theater only episodes with a bit of brief included time in between riffing segments, mistakes, and re-dos) of 503 Swamp Diamonds and 505 The Magic Voyage of Sinbad. Enjoyed Swamp Diamonds a lot. Found a couple of the last second changes and decisions to kill a riff here and there interesting. Sinbad didn't have my full attention, but a comment Joel made in between riffing segments to Trace and Kevin about how much he liked working with them stood out only because this was getting close to his departure.

World Without End- MST3K Alive! 1992 Bootleg (only thing bootlegger recorded was the intro, the 2nd half of the movie, and a Q and A afterwards)
Tried watching it last night and the audio made it unwatchable. Did some editing of the audio in Audacity this morning and while it's an improvement, I was still only able to catch less than half of the riffs. Can't really rate it and definitely don't recommend it as the audio quality of it was so bad (video was pretty shaky and dark as well, but I'd overlook that if I could hear all of the riffs). Would love an official decent quality release of this one, the live show from 1994 with Mike, and the 2 shows with Jonah from the tour last summer.   

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3902
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #1537 on: January 14, 2018, 05:49:34 AM »

Yeah, Dr. Laurence Erhardt fell victim to Chuck Cunningham syndrome due to J. Elvis Weinstein's departure.

I don't mean post season one.  In the KTMA era, sometimes it would just be two in the theatre.  I'm sure Josh had to be somewhere on the day of filming.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5004
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1538 on: January 14, 2018, 10:24:27 AM »
In the KTMA days I think several of them were still doing their stand up comedy as their primary job. Which they have said often they had to drive a long ways to get to a gig.