Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 130716 times)

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1485 on: July 15, 2017, 12:48:56 PM »
Carnival Magic. I liked it a LOT better the second time around. So much so that it made me grateful for the revival!

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #1486 on: July 16, 2017, 10:39:44 AM »
Phase IV

I was searching for a copy of the original movie but could only find this episode instead. I've seen clips of the earliest incarnation of the show but never watched any of the KTMA-TV stuff before so this was a treat. Very fun to see how this show evolved over time.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2017, 01:15:06 PM by Jesse412 »
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Jesse412

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
  • Old Curmudgeon
    • My deviantART Gallery
« Reply #1487 on: July 21, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
The Wild World of Batwoman
"It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Offline Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked:
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #1488 on: July 21, 2017, 10:28:10 AM »
That one is great, though the movie itself is a special kind of painful.  Very little worse than bad comedy.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1489 on: August 03, 2017, 06:47:47 PM »
201 Rocketship X M
With the announcement this week that Shout! was at a standstill for getting the rights to 11 episodes, I decided to go back and watch those episodes after holding out on re-watching them for years hoping for better video quality releases. Started with this one.
Strong opening intro of Frank. Tom’s new voice intro not as strong, but picked up quickly once the riffing started.
Extreme sexism of the movie could have been referred to a bit more, but still strong riffing and a great start to Season 2. My appreciation of KTMA (really appreciate more later season KTMA than early) and Season 1 has grown over the years, but having watched some of those episodes just before watching this, this was a big improvement.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1490 on: August 04, 2017, 07:14:14 PM »
309 The Amazing Colossal Man
Show was really hitting on everything at this point. Great skits and great riffs. Probably wouldnt' tmake my list of favorites but still a very strong episode.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked:
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #1491 on: August 04, 2017, 07:47:58 PM »
Show was really hitting on everything at this point. Great skits and great riffs. Probably wouldnt' tmake my list of favorites but still a very strong episode.

Also showed Mike as the Amazing Colossal Man.

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked:
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1492 on: August 04, 2017, 10:50:16 PM »
My favorite line: "S enters Korean Wa!"  Of course, when the show is viewed outside of a traditional CRT TV and the whole frame is visible, the joke makes a lot less sense.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked:
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1493 on: August 05, 2017, 01:18:34 PM »
I love the running gag in that about the doctor saying insensitive things to the widow.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1494 on: August 08, 2017, 08:17:26 PM »
311 It Conquered the World
Video quality of my copy was below the last 2 "unlikely to be officially released" episodes I've watched since the Volume 39 announcement. Also my least favorite of the 3 so far (skipped the Godzilla movie for later as I plan to watch it and the one that was pulled last). Thought the opening and invention exchange was rather weak. Not my favorite short (riffing good as it could be, just one of those shorts that didn't offer much to riff on). Typical dialog heavy Roger Corman movie  that mostly talks about things rather than showing them. A guy in a couldn't be faker looking if you tried monster suit and a mini bat like kite flying around that I never understood. Easy pickings, but "Biography" riffs in Peter Graves movies always make me laugh. Wouldn't call it a bad episode, just not a great one.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 08:19:35 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1495 on: August 09, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
416 Fire Maidens from Outer Space
The 50s planet of women genre typically isn't one of my favorites, but I enjoyed this one. The running plot throughout the host segments that bled over into the theater with Crow's friend Timmy made this episode unique. Guessing this movie would hold the record for most scenes of characters smoking in any MST3K movie.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1496 on: August 10, 2017, 07:18:56 PM »
418 Attack Of The The Eye Creatures
Didn't remember anything about this one. After watching it again I know why.
By the title I was expecting a black and white 50s B movie sci fi horror. Got a 60s dingy colored sci fi horror B instead (or sci fi horror comedy maybe) where infrared was miraculous but not quite as miraculous as radar was in the 50s. Has a lot of Catalina Caper style humor (lines delivered like punch lines so were apparently supposed to be funny but weren't).
Totally befuddled as to how the current copyright holders would think they could make any money off this turkey other than via a rights deal with Shout! as its bad but not entertaining on its own bad.
Rip Torn host segment was very, very Joel.
It was an OK episode, but just didn't have anything going for it riff or movie wise to make it stand out.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1497 on: August 12, 2017, 01:39:51 PM »
Didn't have my full attention, but watched The Phantom Planet and Crash of the Moons on Pluto TV while making an apple and pear chutney and then a couple of batches of beer this morning.

807 Terror From The Year 5000
I remembered one of the host segments (Crow visiting Mike's family) but another one where I remembered nothing from the movie. Loved this episode. Great riff after great riff. So through the "science" of this movie, carbon dating can be used to tell when objects are from the future. Of the episodes I've watched recently, this is the one I plan on watching again soon and the one that we won't likely get that I most want on DVD.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1498 on: August 12, 2017, 08:02:11 PM »
809 I Was A Teenage Werewolf
Good movie? No. But it was better and funnier than the remake with Micheal J Fox. Another one with great riffing. This coupled with 807 Terror makes me want to go back and watch all of Season 8 start to finish.
Found the Alien(s) host segments to be a bit unique but no overflow from those segments into the theater that I noticed. Will make for one of the better host only segments (along with Timmy from 416) from the bonus disk if you pre-order Volume 39 from Shout!
Had forgotten until a riff in this one  just how long Adam Sandler has been making unfunny comedies. Just amazing that he's still getting financing after all these years. (And Netflix financing him will really piss me off if thy stick with that deal bit don't renew for Season 12 as the budget for just one of his crappy movies would be enough to finance most of another season.)

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked:
« Reply #1499 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:42 PM »
0905 The Deadly Bees
Just another OK episode IMO. Probably the longest flashback in any MST3K movie-very Scoobie Doo-ish (except with bees instead of a ghost or monster). Best riffs all involved the bitter wife. Did really enjoy the end to the closing host segment