Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 174739 times)

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1185 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:05 AM »
The Incredibly Mixed up Creatures, etc.....

Hadn't seen this one in several years.  I remember not enjoying it much, I had a blast. 

Looking on IMBD for more Steckler films I see where Margie was married to the man himself.  No wonder she was cast, she was sleeping with the director.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1186 on: August 07, 2012, 10:06:12 AM »
The Incredibly Mixed up Creatures, etc.....

Hadn't seen this one in several years.  I remember not enjoying it much, I had a blast. 

Looking on IMBD for more Steckler films I see where Margie was married to the man himself.  No wonder she was cast, she was sleeping with the director.

"MADISON!!!"
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 47
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #1187 on: August 07, 2012, 11:08:21 AM »
For a riffable RDS movie, you can't do better(worse?) than Arch Hall Jr's Wild Guitar. I really wish Mike and Co. would do that one.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1188 on: August 07, 2012, 11:09:56 AM »
For a riffable RDS movie, you can't do better(worse?) than Arch Hall Jr's Wild Guitar. I really wish Mike and Co. would do that one.
Which one is the movie where he plays a serial killer or something? I think it's the one wehere the poster makes him look like Chuckie.

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1189 on: August 07, 2012, 11:14:57 AM »
Which one is the movie where he plays a serial killer or something? I think it's the one wehere the poster makes him look like Chuckie.

The Sadist

"Sorry about my face...again."
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1190 on: August 07, 2012, 11:19:44 AM »

The Sadist

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

"Sorry about my face...again."
No amount of appology is enough.

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #1191 on: August 07, 2012, 05:08:30 PM »
The Sadist is actually a half-decent movie. It surprised me quite a bit.

« Reply #1192 on: August 08, 2012, 12:36:42 PM »
The Sadist is a good movie, I enjoyed it.  I think if Arch had stuck with those types of movies he could have been a star.  That face is made of horror films.  I also enjoy Wild Guitar.

That chick who plays Roxie in Eegah plays his girlfriend in The Sadist.  She's good too, quite creepy.  And the line "watch out for snakes" can be thrown in very easily at the end.

Offline AdamCerious

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Dohhhh ho ho ho ho!
    • Cerious Software
« Reply #1193 on: August 08, 2012, 02:07:01 PM »
The Sadist is a good movie, I enjoyed it.  I think if Arch had stuck with those types of movies he could have been a star.  That face is made of horror films.
I think you meant "made FOR horror films"... no, wait, yours works too. :)

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #1194 on: August 09, 2012, 07:17:57 AM »
Yeah, season 1 is largely pretty weak.  I have a soft spot for Robot Holocaust, Untamed Youth and Robot Monster, but they are the best of a bad lot.  They really started getting their groove with season 2 (and even that has a lot of weak spots).

« Reply #1195 on: August 09, 2012, 04:34:56 PM »
The Sadist is a good movie, I enjoyed it.  I think if Arch had stuck with those types of movies he could have been a star.  That face is made of horror films.
I think you meant "made FOR horror films"... no, wait, yours works too. :)

yep, I meant for, but you're right, works either way :)

« Reply #1196 on: August 28, 2012, 01:17:30 PM »
The Sword and the Dragon

I'd never seen it.  Really good one.  But Kevin Murphy lied in his interview on the DVD of Jack Frost, he said Jack Frost was the only one of the Russian movies to have a troika, there's several troikas in this movie.

Seriously though, it's probably tough to remember everything about every movie, they've done so many of them.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #1197 on: August 29, 2012, 06:42:25 AM »
The Russian movies are simultaneously great and dumb.  It's sort of like the Russian equivolent of the Godzila movies: the dumb aspects are part of their charm, but I think the affection goes beyond that.  They also have lavish production design, a large scope (certainly better realized than any of MST3k movies) and are culturally fascinating adaptations of old legends and folk tales.  At the same time, there's terrible dubbing, broad performances, generally weird stuff and just plain goofiness.

I think Jack Frost is the best of them, but I also love the unfairly titled Magic Voyage of Sinbad (which does no culture any favours).

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1198 on: August 29, 2012, 07:00:32 AM »
The Russian movies are simultaneously great and dumb.  It's sort of like the Russian equivolent of the Godzila movies: the dumb aspects are part of their charm, but I think the affection goes beyond that.  They also have lavish production design, a large scope (certainly better realized than any of MST3k movies) and are culturally fascinating adaptations of old legends and folk tales.  At the same time, there's terrible dubbing, broad performances, generally weird stuff and just plain goofiness.

I think Jack Frost is the best of them, but I also love the unfairly titled Magic Voyage of Sinbad (which does no culture any favours).
Agreed! And unlike most all of the rest of the MST3K movies (except the ones where two TV episodes were mashed together), you still get the sense that this is based on something much larger than the movies, so this is the cliffs notes version, and maybe a lot of the questions and issues would be answered in the full thing.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #1199 on: September 10, 2012, 07:33:04 AM »
413 - Manhunt in Space (w/ a General Hospital short)

The short itself was a bit dull, 60s soap operas had not nearly enough evil twin brother having sex with the daughter of the man he murdered while suffering from amnesia after escaping from mafia thugs intent on keeping his incriminating evidence under wraps or something... But there are a surprising amount of riffs that had me laughing out loud... "Let me punch you in the sternum to simulate the pain..."  This isn't something that will ever be considered one of their top short efforts, but it was still a breeze to get through with a good amount of laughs.

The movie is some classic 50s sci-fi cheese... and despite a goofy plot... it was mostly fun to watch. The riffing isn't rapid fire gut busters, but plenty of really funny riffs hit the mark. By the final theater segment, the silly charm of the source movie had started to wear off... and I started zoning out on the laptop doing other things... But overall, this was a pretty painless source movie viewing.... and the riffing provided consistent chuckles. Winky is a great source of riff fuel in the great tradition of second banana/sidekick types providing excellent fodder for Joel/Mike and the Bots.

Host segments had some highlights, The Mads invention of bean bag pants had me laughing... although that might be just because they looked like they were wearing huge scrotums. A hexfield visit from Winky (played by Mike) was a highlight as well. Overall, I'd consider it a worthy viewing... glad I finally checked it out on Netflix, one more of the few remaining "new to me MST3K" episodes falls off the list.