login

Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 174717 times)

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1155 on: February 18, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
Yeah no matter how bad the movie you can't go wrong with Rathbone.  I don't think the Sherlock Holmes movies he did were that great but I still watch them just for him and Nigel Bruce.  Have you ever seen The Adventures of Robin Hood?  If not rent it,I think it has Rathbone in his best villain role.

Yeah, he's great in Robin Hood.  I love the Holmes movies too even though I'm a bit of a Conan Doyle purist and have real issues with setting some of the movies in WW2!?  Still, Rathbone makes it worth watching

Watched Manhunt in Space.  Only second time I've seen this one.  A lot of fun, as is the other Rocky Jones episode.  Also love the Guiding Light short so much it always makes me wish they had done more soap opera stuff other than these two GL shorts.

Online Johnny Unusual

• The Efron
  • Liked: 5861
  • Mr. Robot
« Reply #1156 on: February 24, 2012, 06:22:26 AM »
Yeah no matter how bad the movie you can't go wrong with Rathbone.  I don't think the Sherlock Holmes movies he did were that great but I still watch them just for him and Nigel Bruce.  Have you ever seen The Adventures of Robin Hood?  If not rent it,I think it has Rathbone in his best villain role.

Yeah, he's great in Robin Hood.  I love the Holmes movies too even though I'm a bit of a Conan Doyle purist and have real issues with setting some of the movies in WW2!?  Still, Rathbone makes it worth watching

"Sherlock Holmes solves the case of the missing Viet Cong!"

Offline Lemming Howard

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 178
  • God rest you Brother.
« Reply #1157 on: February 29, 2012, 05:46:27 AM »
Manos the Hands of Fate of course.  Haven't watched it in years,  What fun.  I remember how awful the movie was but forgot about the bits Joel and the bots put on.  Mike,  Kevin and Bill have taken on a real challenge with only the movie to watch.
And I'm worse than Hitler.

Offline Mrs. Dick Courier

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1204
  • keeping an eye on the sammich since 1993
« Reply #1158 on: February 29, 2012, 04:20:00 PM »
Currently watching Fire Maidens online in preperation of the discussion on sattelite news Thursday.

Haven't seen it since the comedy central days.
Opticians are easy on the eyes

Offline Smith Dr John Smith

• Liked: 178
  • I say what a wonderful butler,He's so violent!
« Reply #1159 on: March 01, 2012, 05:38:49 AM »

Watched Manhunt in Space.  Only second time I've seen this one.  A lot of fun, as is the other Rocky Jones episode.  Also love the Guiding Light short so much it always makes me wish they had done more soap opera stuff other than these two GL shorts.

Yeah the Rocky Jones movies are a lot of fun,the riffing on them is great.  I have to admit they are another set of movies MST3K did that I kind of have a soft spot for.  I mean I know the special effects are bad and they have that stupid kid but I think they do have a certain charm to them,I mean it was the early days of Tv and I think the writers had their hearts in the right place. Some of the ideas like having the different races that would come back each week and stuff like two planets about to run into each other and the natives of one not wanting to leave could have been the basis of a really good show a decade or two later.
Fave Rifftrax:The Room Fave MST3K:Manos
Fave DW story of last year:TAP/TRF.  Fave classic series story:Inferno
Fave film of 2011:Tie The Muppets/Tintin
Fave iRiff group:One wall cinema
Fave movie:Citizen Kane.
Still stuck on dial up.
Ignore me or report me.

« Reply #1160 on: March 01, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »

Yeah the Rocky Jones movies are a lot of fun,the riffing on them is great.  I have to admit they are another set of movies MST3K did that I kind of have a soft spot for.  I mean I know the special effects are bad and they have that stupid kid but I think they do have a certain charm to them,I mean it was the early days of Tv and I think the writers had their hearts in the right place. Some of the ideas like having the different races that would come back each week and stuff like two planets about to run into each other and the natives of one not wanting to leave could have been the basis of a really good show a decade or two later.

I've seen all the Rocky Jones episodes, um, I mean movies.  I love them all, sure they were cheesy but like you said, they had charm.

I've read up on it online, interesting.  Lots of behind the scenes pics and merchandise.  It was a hit in its day, but too expensive to film.  Shame.

Offline jrmeiring

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Rowsdower!
« Reply #1161 on: March 10, 2012, 11:27:33 AM »
Good idea for a thread,

A couple weeks ago I watched Jack Frost for the first time.  That movie is funny even by itself, the Russians who made that must've been doing shrooms... its THAT weird.  Mike, Bill and Kevin did a great job on it!

Offline jrmeiring

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
  • Rowsdower!
« Reply #1162 on: March 10, 2012, 10:18:35 PM »
Magic Sword

Another episode I didn't care for at first but have grown to enjoy quite a bit.  Fun riffing on A fun movie.  Rathbone is always worth watching and he makes a great villian.  Interesting to see Gary Lockwood in this too.  One of the very very very few MST films I actually might have paid for to see in the theater.

I'm just now finishing watching The Magic Sword episode (though not for the first time), its one of my favorites!  Recently, a local movie channel actually showed this movie on TV... like people were actually supposed to enjoy JUST the movie!  lol  I couldn't believe it   :gouge:

Offline Prince of Space 5049

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #1163 on: March 11, 2012, 07:48:45 AM »
I watched "It Flies by Night" not long ago. This is one that somehow slipped past me previously (under my sonar, if you will)--so this was a first viewing.  Pretty funny shit. Loved the '70s riffs.  Plus it had like 3 guys from Star Trek in it. 

I love this episode and it has a fond place in my heart because I actually remember seeing this thing on TV.  It was one of those wretched made for TV movies, I remember as a kid thinking "this one isn't quite so awful as most".  Sheeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzee!
[

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3692
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #1164 on: March 26, 2012, 10:29:35 PM »
Just saw The Beast of Yucca Flats for the first time. I'm oddly endeared by hammy narration and the choice to not show anyone's mouths while they're talking.

Flag on the moon. How did it get there?

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #1165 on: April 05, 2012, 06:03:54 PM »
   Watched King Dinosaur for the first time yesterday. This is easily the worst depiction of supposed "astronauts" ever in a MST episode. The stupidest, most incompetant idiots, and altoghether unpleasant people. They barely do any "science" and even outright ignore the scientific importance of things around them. It doesn't help that the majority of the movie is more Camping: The Movie than Harry Potter 7 part 1. Yes, the animal cruelty is pretty despicable.
   I finally got to see the infamous Joey the Lemur sketch, and...what the fuck WAS that? It didn't even look like a dress rehersal, more like the pitch meeting for a sketch. And one that would have been rejected, to boot. Same thing with the "emotional scientist" sketch. I know Joel's sleepy eyed expression makes some people wonder if he is stoned, but here it feels like EVERYBODY has been toking some of what Joel's been having.

« Reply #1166 on: April 16, 2012, 02:49:36 PM »
The Day the Earth Froze.

Hadn't seen it since its days on comedy central.  Still like Jack Frost better.

Offline Rattrap007

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 22
  • Decepticons forever!
« Reply #1167 on: April 18, 2012, 05:14:11 AM »
Recently picked up 2oth Anniv and Gamera DVD sets. Watched all but Gamera Vs. Zigra on the gamera one and watched First Spaceship on Venus on the other... as well as the History of MST3K and Comic-Con bonus features on 20th Anniv set.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1168 on: April 18, 2012, 05:22:20 AM »
Recently picked up 2oth Anniv and Gamera DVD sets. Watched all but Gamera Vs. Zigra on the gamera one and watched First Spaceship on Venus on the other... as well as the History of MST3K and Comic-Con bonus features on 20th Anniv set.
Oh I love the History of MST and the Comic Con panel features! My only complaint is that apparently in the History of MST3K, the makeup person apparently HATED Paul Chaplin. He looks like a dessicated corpse in his interviews! It's ditractingly disturbing.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #1169 on: April 21, 2012, 06:41:17 PM »
Just watched Village of the Giants. Excellent riffing, and a very goofy movie. I love the whole bit where Tom is freaking out about the guy getting a gumball from his mother.

Classic host segments, too. "Let me be frank about Frank" is awesome. Mike as Torgo is always funny, but my favorite bit is when Dr. Forrester is gets impatiant and rushed Torgo, so the theme music speeds up.  ;D ;D

"if only the Sun and the Moon could collide to be Frank!"   :clap: :clap: