Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 175133 times)

Offline Prince of Space 5049

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 14
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1125 on: December 11, 2011, 02:58:02 PM »
Personally, I enjoy all seasons.  I was with them form the begining of the Comedy Central years.  I enjoyed watching the show change and develop along the way.  I don't take part in the "I like this or that one better" debate.  I am grateful for all the seasons of MST.  Each season has high and low points.  What TV show doesn't?  I've just found in my experience a lot of people don't care for the SciFi years.  Many like to hate on Pearl.  The whole thing was a great and wonderful ride, and I was sad when it ended.  It's great that today we now have Rifftrax and CT.  Although Rifftrax beats the sh*t out of CT in proliferation!
[

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #1126 on: December 11, 2011, 04:16:55 PM »
I find the SciFi era more consistent. I think they had higher quality subject movies for the most part... no Coleman Francis or Cy Roth or Burt I. Gordon or painfully dull Hercules movies. I suppose they did get stuck with a Roger Corman and a Ray Dennis Steckler and Neptune Men ... but for the most part, I think they consistently found better subject movies, probably part of that due to being under the same conglomerate as Universal Studios. But the CC-era probably has six of my top 10... and four of my top five... maybe less consistent but reaching greater heights when everything clicked... And I always liked Joel a lot in the theater... He had that laconic, laid back delivery that made the most of those throwaway one word reaction type riffs that nobody else could pull off quite as well.

I guess in the big picture, I've always been somewhere between casual and hardcore fan... There isn't a whole lot from KTMA or S1 that does much for me... and most of S2 I could leave behind... and there are plenty of later episodes that I've watched once and didn't get more than the occasional chuckle... I do like seeing the stuff I've never seen before, and getting an idea of how the show developed is cool... but it doesn't always lead to a lot of laughs. Never been one for the old Mistie standby line of "bad eps of MST3K are better then 99% of TV".

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 6621
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1127 on: December 11, 2011, 04:29:25 PM »
I find the SciFi era more consistent. I think they had higher quality subject movies for the most part... no Coleman Francis or Cy Roth or Burt I. Gordon or painfully dull Hercules movies. I suppose they did get stuck with a Roger Corman and a Ray Dennis Steckler and Neptune Men ... but for the most part, I think they consistently found better subject movies, probably part of that due to being under the same conglomerate as Universal Studios. But the CC-era probably has six of my top 10... and four of my top five... maybe less consistent but reaching greater heights when everything clicked... And I always liked Joel a lot in the theater... He had that laconic, laid back delivery that made the most of those throwaway one word reaction type riffs that nobody else could pull off quite as well.

I guess in the big picture, I've always been somewhere between casual and hardcore fan... There isn't a whole lot from KTMA or S1 that does much for me... and most of S2 I could leave behind... and there are plenty of later episodes that I've watched once and didn't get more than the occasional chuckle... I do like seeing the stuff I've never seen before, and getting an idea of how the show developed is cool... but it doesn't always lead to a lot of laughs. Never been one for the old Mistie standby line of "bad eps of MST3K are better then 99% of TV".

GODDAMMIT! Why is everyone so balanced and diplomatic? Take sides people!

Just kidding. There a plenty of CC-era episodes that I cherish. I think I'd be very hard pressed to come up with a top-ten list. That would be brutal. However, I will say that it would be dominated by SciFi-era stuff. For me, the show has never delivered on the level it did with episodes like Riding With Death, Werewolf, Track of the Moonbeast, Deathstalker, etc. That was just rarified air if you ask me. And those eps make me laugh harder than any others. My sides literally ache after each viewing of Riding With Death, and I've seen it more times than I can count.

I was a teenage werewolf

I know the SciFi years don't get a lot of love, but this is still one of my favorites.  I remember watching this movie as a kid on the local Saturday night Chiller Theater.  MST makes the experience of poping it on for a late night Saturday with my favorite snack pure pleasure.

Oh, I don't know. I for one think the SciFi years are far and away the best seasons of the series. I much prefer Mike to Joel, and I also think Corbett is the superior Crow. I don't laugh nearly as hard at earlier episodes than I do at seasons 8-10.

Agreed. Now let us celebrate by the adding of chocolate to milk.

HUZZAH!!!  :cheers:
VIVA IL ESORDIO DEL DIABETE ADULTO DUCE!!!

shodan

« Reply #1128 on: December 11, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
I was a teenage werewolf

I know the SciFi years don't get a lot of love, but this is still one of my favorites.  I remember watching this movie as a kid on the local Saturday night Chiller Theater.  MST makes the experience of poping it on for a late night Saturday with my favorite snack pure pleasure.

Oh, I don't know. I for one think the SciFi years are far and away the best seasons of the series. I much prefer Mike to Joel, and I also think Corbett is the superior Crow. I don't laugh nearly as hard at earlier episodes than I do at seasons 8-10.

Agreed. Now let us celebrate by the adding of chocolate to milk.

HUZZAH!!!  :cheers:
what about a hat party?

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #1129 on: December 11, 2011, 06:25:08 PM »
Season Five probably has the largest chunk of my personal favorites: Santa Claus, Mitchell, Eegah, I Accuse My Parents, Painted Hills and The Girl in Lovers Lane are all top notch gold... And Outlaw of Gor, Teenage Stangler, Magic Voyage of Sinbad, Teenage Crimewave and Village of the Giants are all solid A- / B+ episodes. Probably the single season that I revisit the most... Followed closely by S8 and S9 from Sci-Fi.

Seeing that I've been in a MST3K mood lately... I watched another one today... this one from the "I don't think it's out on DVD yet" pile...

Daddy-O (with some short about the alphabet)

The alphabet short is not one of their classic educational film efforts... but it's still pretty good. The movie itself is a goofy juvenile delinquent / mob ties / drag racing / car crashing / guy in his 30s trying to pass for a hip kid / bad singing movie from the 1950s. I've seen this one a few times over the last 10 years and I always enjoy it... partially for the goofy assed source movie. This seems like the kind of shit that was already lame and dated the day it hit the theaters... and the guys have a good time riffing on it. I wouldn't consider this an all time top effort, the riffing is solid but never side splitting. The host segments were actually a highlight here, including a great song and a funny turn in what I have to think is one of the earlier appearances in a guest spot for Mike Nelson. Recommended if you enjoy the 36 year old juvenile delinquent genre that was apparently popular from 1958 thru 1961.

• Big Montana
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #1130 on: December 11, 2011, 07:49:20 PM »
Season Five probably has the largest chunk of my personal favorites: Santa Claus, Mitchell, Eegah, I Accuse My Parents, Painted Hills and The Girl in Lovers Lane are all top notch gold... And Outlaw of Gor, Teenage Stangler, Magic Voyage of Sinbad, Teenage Crimewave and Village of the Giants are all solid A- / B+ episodes. Probably the single season that I revisit the most... Followed closely by S8 and S9 from Sci-Fi.

Seeing that I've been in a MST3K mood lately... I watched another one today... this one from the "I don't think it's out on DVD yet" pile...

Daddy-O (with some short about the alphabet)

The alphabet short is not one of their classic educational film efforts... but it's still pretty good. The movie itself is a goofy juvenile delinquent / mob ties / drag racing / car crashing / guy in his 30s trying to pass for a hip kid / bad singing movie from the 1950s. I've seen this one a few times over the last 10 years and I always enjoy it... partially for the goofy assed source movie. This seems like the kind of shit that was already lame and dated the day it hit the theaters... and the guys have a good time riffing on it. I wouldn't consider this an all time top effort, the riffing is solid but never side splitting. The host segments were actually a highlight here, including a great song and a funny turn in what I have to think is one of the earlier appearances in a guest spot for Mike Nelson. Recommended if you enjoy the 36 year old juvenile delinquent genre that was apparently popular from 1958 thru 1961.

Hike, hike, hike, hike your pants up...........
[

Offline doggans

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #1131 on: December 11, 2011, 11:06:19 PM »
I know it's cheap CGI, but how much more expensive would real puppets have been?

The CGI is probably done by one guy using an already-owned copy of Maya or some such software. Real puppets would require construction workers and cost of materials for rebuilding the SOL set (unless they greenscreened it, which wouldn't be much better than just sticking with the CGI), plus a location for the set where it can stay indefinitely for use in all future DVD releases, plus the cost of building the puppets, plus (at least) two puppeteers for each shoot, plus camera operators, lighting technicians, and any other crew members who might be needed.

So, yeah, live action DVD menus would definitely not be worth the hassle.

• Big Montana
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #1132 on: December 15, 2011, 06:23:22 AM »
Sat down to watch "The Brute Man" from the new boxed set.  I made the mistake of watching the extras first.  Holy sh*t were they ever depressing!  I don't know if I can ever watch this again knowing what I know now about the guy who played "The Creeper".  What a downer of a story.  So I went with "Time of the Apes" instead.  Felt much better and laughed out loud.  Nuff said.
[

Danecho1967

« Reply #1133 on: December 26, 2011, 01:09:00 PM »
...Night of the Blood Beast.  Netflix is so amazing, I can't believe I lived this long without it.

Because I didn't have cable most of my life, most of the MST3K's I've seen were purchased on VHS, and a few on DVD.  Anyway, the point is, I had never seen the Deep 13 intro that accompanies this one.  It must have been just after Frank left.  It wasn't their best intro, but it was cool to see it, anyway.

As for the show:  Loved short, "Once upon a honeymoon."  If you're gonna sell me on the idea of a phone in every room, sheesh, just say so.  Weirdest darn thing ever.  Some awesome riffing though.  The Elton John riff was obvious, but perfect none the less.

The main event was not my favorite by a long shot, but had some really funny moments.

• Big Montana
  • Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha, Ha
« Reply #1134 on: December 26, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
...Night of the Blood Beast.  Netflix is so amazing, I can't believe I lived this long without it.

Because I didn't have cable most of my life, most of the MST3K's I've seen were purchased on VHS, and a few on DVD.  Anyway, the point is, I had never seen the Deep 13 intro that accompanies this one.  It must have been just after Frank left.  It wasn't their best intro, but it was cool to see it, anyway.

As for the show:  Loved short, "Once upon a honeymoon."  If you're gonna sell me on the idea of a phone in every room, sheesh, just say so.  Weirdest darn thing ever.  Some awesome riffing though.  The Elton John riff was obvious, but perfect none the less.

The main event was not my favorite by a long shot, but had some really funny moments.

Night of the Blood Beast is one of my all time favorites.  The reason is because it was season seven's introduction during the turkey day marathon that year.  I made my own mash up of all the host segements and bumps during that marathon, for one long seamless episode.  I don't care for the copy I have sans the tukey day stuffing.
[

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1135 on: December 26, 2011, 01:21:21 PM »
"Time to dance, Blood Beast."

Offline Action Batch

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 67
  • Hogwashologist
« Reply #1136 on: December 26, 2011, 01:29:33 PM »
"Time to dance, Blood Beast."
Hey Steve, it's me, Steve. The other Steve wanted me to ask you a question.

Offline lostgrove

• Disembaudio's Squadio
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #1137 on: January 20, 2012, 01:55:48 AM »
Do you realize that we just watched a robot sing a love song to a turtle?
Crow watches Tom serenade Tibby on "Gamera"

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #1138 on: January 28, 2012, 01:15:44 PM »
208 - Lost Continent (Shout version)

Yep...I put myself through the punishment of "Rock Climbing".

Do you think the "do you know how to fly this thing?" riff was from Indianna Jones, Temple of Doom? It just seems that they liked the Indy stuff.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 04:31:27 PM by gammer »

Offline D.B. Barnes

• Grendel's Mom
  • "AMIRITE?!?"
« Reply #1139 on: January 28, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
Seems like a lot of season 10 is covered in a thick, grimy layer of sleaze: Soultaker, Girl With the Gold Boots, Dr. Z, Boggy Creek, and Squirm are all really greasy, disgusting movies.

There are a few oily characters in Track of the Moonbeast and Final Justice as well. Season ten really is slathered with a thick coat of t-zone oil and bodily funk.