login

Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 174805 times)

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #510 on: July 21, 2009, 07:56:22 PM »
I borrowed one from a  buddy - it's the very last KTMA one - Japanese and a dinosaur.  It's okay, but I think I enjoy Pak & Tyrant's reviews of Season 0 much more than I'd enjoy the actual eps.

-dale

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #511 on: July 27, 2009, 09:02:59 PM »
Last week over a few nights I watched Mitchell and San Francisco Interenational again.  I think I've lapped myself from back on page 6.

-dale

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #512 on: July 27, 2009, 09:12:15 PM »
First half of Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders. What a great episode! "It's Possessee the Clown!" I just keep thinking that if this had been a TV show (which the first part clearly was a pilot for), then it would be some obscure thing that would be getting a release on DVD about now.

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #513 on: July 29, 2009, 11:51:07 AM »
HAMLET

I freaking love this episode because I'm so familiar with Hamlet that I don't have to try to figure anything out. Plus it's just so hilarious. "I shall never look upon his like again." "Why were you looking at his like?" Another joke I never noticed before, which is at the end during the fencing scene: "So when are they gonna start selling stolen merchandise?" "Not that kind of fencing!"
"Kissing is like WiFi. Just get within the general area." ---New Moon RT

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 953
« Reply #514 on: July 30, 2009, 09:35:58 PM »
I always liked Josh myself... Considering that in the KTMA eps they were basically winging it, I thought he dropped the most consistent riffs. His mad scientist character was nigh unwatchable, but I always thought he was good in the theater.

113 - Black Scorpion

While this is pretty good for a season one episode, it's still something you probably only need to see if you're a completest. Take a somewhat dull source movie combined with riffers that weren't quite seasoned enough yet to carry dull source movies... and this one can be a chore to sit through at times. To their credit, the guys do their best to keep a decent pace, riffing more like a season two episode in many stretches. When the movie gave them something to work with, there were solid riffs to be had... but more than once I checked the timer to see how much was still left to go.  C+

« Last Edit: July 30, 2009, 09:45:37 PM by Nunyerbiz »

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
« Reply #515 on: July 31, 2009, 04:23:22 PM »
I'm not saying Josh's material isn't funny (I have no probs with him in the few CIn Tits I've seen), I just don't dig his delivery or voice in Season One. 

-dale

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2398
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #516 on: July 31, 2009, 04:29:38 PM »
I gotta go with dale here.  Josh in CT is funny as hell, but I always found his Tom Servo voice to be annoying.
RoninFoxTrax Presents Rocky

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #517 on: July 31, 2009, 07:16:47 PM »
I gotta go with dale here.  Josh in CT is funny as hell, but I always found his Tom Servo voice to be annoying.
Yeah, it sounds like he's trying to hard to put on a voice. Although I love the explanation of the origin of the voice. The local weatherman and Johnny Fever as Rip Tide. ;D

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #518 on: July 31, 2009, 08:46:24 PM »
Well there was also just a lack of energy in all the riffers compared to later seasons while Josh was there.  I really noticed it after seeing the Crawling Hand on DVD.  When the credits are going and there are little firework explosions outside the ship, Tom riffs in a bored sounding voice "this is like Love American Style"

Compare this to later seasons when an explosion could prompt all three in the theater to sing loud "Love, love, LOOOOOVE"

Same refference, more energy, bigger laugh from me.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #519 on: August 02, 2009, 06:17:00 PM »
Same refference, more energy, bigger laugh from me.

Hmm... yea, maybe that's why I like his season one work.. It stands out as a clearly different style from the later and obviously more evolved seasons. Don't get me wrong, most of Season 0 / Season 1 are tough to sit through... but I'm always a sucker for a well placed deadpan... Josh and (to a lesser extent) Joel were good for those during the formative years when the guys weren't writing 300 riffs per hour or whatever... and his voice never really bothered me. 

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #520 on: August 02, 2009, 06:53:53 PM »
A good deadpan is a wonderful thing, but I think it was kind of overkill on those early eps.  Also, Josh seemed like he was king of the filler back then.  Like how he'd always just read the title of the film in his slightly bigger voice...yeah, but that's not a joke.  It sounds like he's leading up to something, but he isn't.

When he deadpans in a CT show though?  Hilarious.

gum.co/RFTrocky

Offline rebisaz

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 1
  • Hi!
« Reply #521 on: August 02, 2009, 08:42:29 PM »
I saw Monster A Go-Go for the first time in quite a long while today.  I'd forgotten the gripping putting-on of the anti-radiation suits scene.  Thank goodness they showed every single step of the donning of the suits in case any of the viewers ever need to put one on.  That movie informed as much as it entertained.

Offline Nunyerbiz

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #522 on: August 03, 2009, 09:51:03 AM »
A good deadpan is a wonderful thing, but I think it was kind of overkill on those early eps.  Also, Josh seemed like he was king of the filler back then.  Like how he'd always just read the title of the film in his slightly bigger voice...yeah, but that's not a joke.  It sounds like he's leading up to something, but he isn't.

When he deadpans in a CT show though?  Hilarious.

Well yea... but everyone was dropping throwaway riffs that wouldn't be considered terribly funny when compared to later seasons, so I can't really say he was the king of filler... as they were all guilty of it when things were more off-the-cuff. Personally, I always thought Trace was the weakest link in the KTMA / Season 1 eps... but I know that is blasphemy... so I'll shut up now. 

Offline CHF01

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 60
« Reply #523 on: August 03, 2009, 11:42:29 AM »
The Pumaman - 903

Another comedic classic of television history  :clap:

Offline Hor-RIFF-ic Productions

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 33
  • Blah blah BLAHHHH!!!!
    • Hor-RIFF-ic Productions
« Reply #524 on: August 04, 2009, 05:45:05 AM »
Quest of the Delta Knights - loved it when Pearl's in the theater.  She gave me a mint!
You'll DIE Laughing!