Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 174800 times)

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #450 on: May 17, 2009, 05:11:53 PM »
I was watching I Spy last night (the 1960s TV show, not the evil movie) and I recognized a chick in one of the episodes. Took me a while to place her, then suddenly I realized who she was, and cross checked her name in the credits with what I thought she was from. And I was right. She was the title character in Terror from the Year 5000! I thought that was weird---it's weird to see MST people in regular things, good things, esp. when they do good acting (as in this case).

anyway, last night I was Monster a Go Go for the first time. A few hilarious quips, but overall the movie was sooooooo bad it was too painful to watch. "This is a test. Had this been an actual film, you would have been entertained."

off topic......

Funny you mention I Spy. I  remember enjoying the show in reruns when I was a kid (I'm old but not quite old enough to have seen it in it's first run).  On a whim I bought the first two seasons on DVD at Best Buy (they were only 12 dollars apiece or something).  I watched about a dozen of them and then got bored with them. It can be fun in small doses but I can't watch too much of it at a time.  I was just eyeing them the other day, however, and was thinking about putting one in this weekend. 

Just out of curiousity,  do you know which season the episode is in that you are referring to?

I'm sorry you got bored with I SPY ---it took me a few episodes but I LOVE it---it gets better and better. So since the first bunch bored you, I would recommend maybe skip the first few discs of season 1, maybe skip to disc 5, or even skip to season 2, and you might like it better, as they get funnier, more interesting, more exciting, and better written as they go on--as Cosby is more allowed to be himself, and, like any show, the show itself becomes more comfortable in its own identity (i.e. think of how rusty the first season of MASH is compared with the second, third, fourth, etc). But at any rate, please give the show another chance.

The episode I was referring to is in Season 2. The episode with the title actress from MST's "The Terror from the Year 5000" is called "A Room with a Rack". The one with Peter Lawford is "Get Thee to a Nunnery". I think they were on disc 4.

I was always planning on getting back into it.  I think I just watched a couple of episodes in a row where not much was happening....and then I got distracted by other shows. I  watched a few season two episodes at a friend's house a few years ago and I remembered liking those a bit better, so perhaps I will take your advice and skip ahead a couple of discs.  Overall I like the show. The chemistry between Culp and Cosby is great, and it's funny without losing the serious aspect. It is incredibly dated with all the cold war stuff, but that is part of it's appeal as well.  I like those old spy shows and this was a good one.

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #451 on: May 18, 2009, 12:56:47 AM »
glad to hear you say so, dangfish. But before you skip, don't miss Eartha Kitt's episode (not sure if you've seen it yet)-- I think it's incredible bold for a show from 1965 to have an episode all about heroin addiction, and Eartha and Cosby are fantastic in it.
"Kissing is like WiFi. Just get within the general area." ---New Moon RT

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

« Reply #452 on: May 18, 2009, 01:03:03 PM »
okay, last night I watched the rifftrax of Iron Man, which led me to watch LASERBLAST --well, think about it: they both have round metal things on their sternum! anyway, it was much funnier this time. we can't help thinnking the harryhausen-from-the-50s aliens are from a whole other movie that they just found and put in their movie. And I can't help laughing at the bad choices they make---like assuming the ammo comes out the end it does on that gun when any normal person's first instinct is that it comes out the end that looks, uh, like a gun barrel... and assuming the necklace has to do with firing the gun and assuming 16 year old girls wear grandma nightgowns. But mom frightens us---it's nice of them not to discriminate against hiring SKELETONS.... ick! ick!! "Get an eating disorder--boys like that!" Overall though, it's growing on me more and more. I love the skits parodying 2001 Space Odyssey, esp. the one with dr forrester--straight out of the movie! brilliant!

Offline doggans

• Liked: 453
  • w00tstock Photobomb is TEARING Zombie Wiseau APAHT
    • doggans.com
« Reply #453 on: May 28, 2009, 10:48:47 AM »
I love all the Leonard Maltin stuff as well.  I wonder it Maltin ever responded to the whole two and a half star Laserblast thing.  I always wondered it it was Maltin himself who gave that review.  I know he has people that help him write the reviews.  One man can't watch every film ever made.

My assumption has always been that Maltin starts every movie out at a certain star rating, and then adds or docks points on a case by case basis. Clearly, the star ratings are not meant to be compared from one movie to the next. :P

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

« Reply #454 on: May 28, 2009, 10:52:10 AM »
well, the official meanings behind the star ratings that I learned is 4 stars=classic, 3=first rate, 2=flawed, has moments, 1=wasted time. And I would call Laserblast wasted time, or 1 1/2 stars at best, certainly not almost first rate. So basically Lenny's ratings are no longer all that accurate to me.

I recently watched THE GIANT SPIDER INVASION which struck me as much funnier this time. I guess that means the trauma and pain are wearing off.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
  • Liked: 6253
  • I am boring and destined to die alone!
« Reply #455 on: May 28, 2009, 11:47:17 AM »
What star rating did he give MST3K: The Movie?

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

« Reply #456 on: May 28, 2009, 12:10:42 PM »
I don't know--now I'm curious. But I do know he gave 2 1/2 stars to Mixed Up Zombies. AAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot that I also saw Boggy Creek II. So funny, and such a bad movie. The south can secede at any time.

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #457 on: May 28, 2009, 12:36:43 PM »
I forgot that I also saw Boggy Creek II. So funny, and such a bad movie. The south can secede at any time.
The South couldn't rise up again to get itself another beer.

Offline Thrifty

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 1272
  • Now available in non-prescription strength.
« Reply #458 on: June 02, 2009, 09:51:18 AM »
I had to watch that anteater hating propaganda film, Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, in celebration / anticipation of the pending Casablanca Rifftrax.

"I gotta get me some of that soup."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #459 on: June 06, 2009, 08:34:55 PM »
I was a Teenage Werewolf - I love how the psychiatrist/mad scientist never says how 'reverting man back to his most wild primitive self' will solve man's dangerous nature.
"I'm being attacked by a Berenstein Bear!"
"The werewolf is an herbivore. Luckily, this guy's name is Herb."

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #460 on: June 07, 2009, 06:07:41 AM »
I was a Teenage Werewolf - I love how the psychiatrist/mad scientist never says how 'reverting man back to his most wild primitive self' will solve man's dangerous nature.

I love when the first victim's walking home alone through the woods. "I'm probably well-marbled and tasty. Not something I've really thought about..."

Offline Darth Geek

• The Efron
« Reply #461 on: June 07, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »

I love when the first victim's walking home alone through the woods. "I'm probably well-marbled and tasty. Not something I've really thought about..."
"This guy would drown in a rainstorm."

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #462 on: June 07, 2009, 01:24:09 PM »
Deathstalker & Warriors from Hell

Hilarious throughout. One of the best. I love Rifftrax, CT and all the rest of it, but nothing beats MST at it's prime. I hope shout factory releases this soon.  My copy is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Offline THE QUEEN!!!

« Reply #463 on: June 07, 2009, 02:48:55 PM »
Deathstalker & Warriors from Hell

Hilarious throughout. One of the best. I love Rifftrax, CT and all the rest of it, but nothing beats MST at it's prime. I hope shout factory releases this soon.  My copy is getting a bit long in the tooth.

Agreed. So funny. "Are you guys talking in here? It is bed time!" My poor pirated copy is so scratched. They must needs release it. "I put the---beats in my -----script and I'm sticking---- with them"

Just watched Pod People---love it because it's so bad. Is is in british english dubbed in american english or something? whole thing is worth "Idiot Patrol"

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #464 on: June 07, 2009, 03:24:30 PM »

Just watched Pod People---love it because it's so bad. Is is in british english dubbed in american english or something? whole thing is worth "Idiot Patrol"

I wondered the same thing myself.