Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 175170 times)

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 2
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #240 on: December 01, 2008, 07:11:26 PM »
He did Red Zone and Skydivers, right?  What was his other contribution?

-dale

The Beast of Yucca Flats, my all time favorite MST episode.  The film that cast Tor Johnson as a renown scientist. This film manages to be even drearier and more pointless than Red Zone Cuba and Skydivers.  Coleman really tries to be artsy here with bizarre shots of bunnies smelling corpses and such. Each character in the film is more depressing than the next. And like the other two films, there doesn't really  seem to be a story anywhere. Coleman seemed less interested in plot and more interested in convincing you to take your own life. After watching each of these three movies several times I can only conclude that Coleman Francis was a joyless, soulless creature who hated himself and everyone around him.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #241 on: December 02, 2008, 03:15:37 PM »
Ahh, I've never seen that one.  I look forward to it.  I think.

Night before last I finished up the last half of one of my faves, Girls Town.  Last night I had some spare time so I threw in the first half of Rocket Attack USA, which I really like.

-dale

Offline Claude

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #242 on: December 04, 2008, 12:44:35 PM »
Escape 2000

LEAVE THE BRONX!

Awesome episode.

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #243 on: December 04, 2008, 02:20:19 PM »
I was a Teenage Werewolf

I love how the giant police station with all of these desks only seem to have one or two detectives in it. Of course, they don't need any more because the transylvanian janitor is there to fill them in on everything they need to know. Michael Landon has some of the worst dialogue I've ever heard anybody utter in a movie. This film got a much deserved slammng from Mike and the bots.  Funny riffing.

Offline Bob

• Afraid of the Wind
  • Liked: 2405
  • Complete waste of time at www.robertpreed.com
    • My Stunning Home Page
« Reply #244 on: December 04, 2008, 04:27:21 PM »

-dale

The Beast of Yucca Flats, my all time favorite MST episode.  The film that cast Tor Johnson as a renown scientist. This film manages to be even drearier and more pointless than Red Zone Cuba and Skydivers.  Coleman really tries to be artsy here with bizarre shots of bunnies smelling corpses and such. Each character in the film is more depressing than the next. And like the other two films, there doesn't really  seem to be a story anywhere. Coleman seemed less interested in plot and more interested in convincing you to take your own life. After watching each of these three movies several times I can only conclude that Coleman Francis was a joyless, soulless creature who hated himself and everyone around him.

And the woman playing the mother of the two kids in the movie, hubba-hubba..... :gouge:

Offline iv3rdawG

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 104
  • Mr. K. Dilkington
    • Controlled Obsession
« Reply #245 on: December 06, 2008, 04:25:06 PM »
Overdrawn at the Memory Bank.

Oh, Fat Man.
Controlled Obsession (My website - Movie, TV, Video Games)

Offline gammer

• Second Banana
  • Liked: 3
    • GoodTimers Hockey
« Reply #246 on: December 08, 2008, 12:35:03 PM »
911 - Devil Fish

Hot Damn!...I love the editing  :D

Offline dangfish

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #247 on: December 09, 2008, 02:44:29 PM »
Projected Man

I love when they riff on these british films. As far as the british episodes go, I'd rank this better than Gorgo and Deadly Bees but not as good as Devil Doll. It always cracks me up to see how many of these 'mad scientist turns himself into a monster and then gets killed at the end' films they made. Who exactly decided that people couldn't get enough of this kind of plot?  And it also seems to be some kind of unwritten rule that the worse the movie, the more depressing the ending needs to be.  Perhaps they were banking on the fact that if you're depressed at the end then you won't notice how horrid the film is? I just have to wonder.

Doctor Who?

« Reply #248 on: December 09, 2008, 09:18:35 PM »

-dale

The Beast of Yucca Flats, my all time favorite MST episode.  The film that cast Tor Johnson as a renown scientist.

What?!

Doc Steve

« Reply #249 on: December 10, 2008, 08:45:06 AM »
Meant as an observation, not as a criticism:

I was really shocked to learn that the majority of posters here have not seen all of the MST3K episodes.  I always assumed that there was a perfect tautology/correlation between dedicated Rifftrax fans and dedicated MST3K fans.  This does explain a few things, of course. 

Doc Steve

« Reply #250 on: December 10, 2008, 08:47:51 AM »

-dale

The Beast of Yucca Flats, my all time favorite MST episode.  The film that cast Tor Johnson as a renown scientist.

What?!

Tor plays Josef Javorksi, peerless Soviet aerospace scientist and member of the Order or Lenin (2nd class).  About two minutes in, he gets irradiated and becomes the Tor we know and love. 

Doctor Who?

« Reply #251 on: December 10, 2008, 07:32:50 PM »
Ok as long as they were not casting him as that for the whole movie.

I have not seen all MST3K episodes because i discovered the show on Dvd and not all the shows are out on DVd and some of the dvds can't be had for less then an insane sum of money.

Offline dalem

• Big Montana
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #252 on: December 10, 2008, 09:01:17 PM »

I was really shocked to learn that the majority of posters here have not seen all of the MST3K episodes.  I always assumed that there was a perfect tautology/correlation between dedicated Rifftrax fans and dedicated MST3K fans.  This does explain a few things, of course. 

I am a dedicated MST fan who, by dint of scheduling and circumstance, never got to see most of them and kinda forgot about it.  Then I remembered my old VHS tapes from the summer of 1995, watched them all a half-dozen times, then found/started purchasing the Rhino collections, found RiffTrax, blah blah blah.

I like it. ;)

-dale

Offline FordPrefect

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #253 on: December 10, 2008, 09:38:52 PM »

I'd expect Cinematic Titanic fans to have seen all the MST3K episodes more so than Rifftrax fans. CT seems like it was made specifically for that audience. Rifftrax seems like it's got a different sort of audience sometimes, just based on the fact that so many of the "bad" movie titles don't sell as well as the "good" ones.

Doc Steve

« Reply #254 on: December 10, 2008, 09:41:22 PM »

I'd expect Cinematic Titanic fans to have seen all the MST3K episodes more so than Rifftrax fans. CT seems like it was made specifically for that audience. Rifftrax seems like it's got a different sort of audience sometimes, just based on the fact that so many of the "bad" movie titles don't sell as well as the "good" ones.

I think you are correct.  Also, the Mike, Kevin, and Bill line-up obviously appeals more to people that discovered the show in the Sci-Fi era.