Author Topic: I Just Finished Watching...  (Read 133869 times)

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 58
Re: I Just Finished Watching...
« Reply #1500 on: August 15, 2017, 05:43:18 AM »
906 The Space Children
Liked it more than The Deadly Bees but didn’t stand out as being very memorable to me either. Movie itself was a typical talky 50s sci fi horror flick with a Village of the Damned spin and 3 or 4 sets (if you call an office a set) featured over and over and over again. There were several Gilligan’s Island riffs as the Professor is in it and plays an abusive drunken stepfather.
Based on just these 2 episodes and without going back and seeing what other movies were in Season 9, I’m not feeling the love for Season 9 that I was for Season 8 (although the next episode I watched changed that feeling a bit and every season had good and not as good episodes).

913 Quest of the Delta Knights
Probably tied for my favorite un-DVD’d episode. Character costumes were a mix of renaissance faire and Pirates of the Caribbean garb. Don’t think any of the 4 or 5 Delta Knights who make appearances wear any kind of armor typically associated with knights (but a few of the bad guys do and also sport horned Viking helmets). They’re questing for something that I never quite understood what it was even after they found it (my old dog was having one of his senile fits and barked off and on as I was watching so I might have missed the explanation), maps are apparently really hard to read, and the mightiest weapon that can pierce even the toughest bad guy armor is a poisoned spit ball shot through a drinking straw. Hand guns are used by 2 of the main characters to stop a bad guy attack once but never used again (maybe medieval hand guns were one time use only or could only be used at night). And then after the big reveal of whatever it was they were looking for (the one trial they had to endure once they found the cave it was in was whether to go left or right- nothing perilous like having to fight a giant spider or avoiding a maze of poison traps, nope, just decide whether to go left or right) the head bad guy immediately shows up, our heroes bravely run away, and exposition explains that somehow the head bad guy was foiled “for now” implying a sequel.
Highlights from the riffing include Pearl being in the theater for the first segment in place of Mike (she really did well), the bots repeated love of Pearl, and driving the “I’m coming” riff into the ground after a guy in a pirate costume swings by on a rope several times in the repetitive chase scene in the land pirate camp.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 05:45:11 AM by wihogfan »

Offline SJP

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 193
  • Worst...avatar...ever!
« Reply #1501 on: August 15, 2017, 08:29:53 AM »
The Delta Knights are looking for Aristotle's storehouse of wonders, and the movie kind of implies Leonardo da Vinci wasn't a genius, but was a complete idiot who stole everything he knew from, as Bill & Ted would say, "a short, dead dude."

I'm always a bit more lenient with later episodes than earlier ones in terms of how memorable they are; I started watching in 1995, but Comedy Central was still showing a lot of Joel episodes in reruns, so when Mike took over, I remember thinking I didn't like the new host (boy, did that change quickly), but I think from season 4 on, they just were so good with the writing (and only got better with the gags right up until the end) that I just find myself watching later episodes a lot more than earlier ones.  Deadly Bees is one of my favorites, even though it is a very slow-moving and stodgy British affair.  So was Projected Man, but I love that one, too.  Maybe it's just the British-ness I like, I don't know.  All I know is, the other night I watched Catalina Caper, and while it is not a bad episode, it doesn't have the pacing and the timing I'm used to watching later shows.

But you'd be hard pressed to find too many that don't like Delta Knights.  The movie is incompetent on many levels, and cheesy, direct-to-video 90s trash in the same way that the first half of Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders was.
One Man Band Riffs.  18 riffs, over 600 served, since 2009.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1502 on: August 15, 2017, 05:48:28 PM »
When I discovered Rifftrax (actually had bought The Phantom Menace a couple of years eariler, but promptly forgot about Riffttax for a couple of years after), I went back and watched all of the Mike episodes of MST3K. And my MST3K introduction came via a Mike episode on MTV-didn't get Comedy Central at the time, but it was added to my cable package soon thereafter and I was working nights and used to watch reruns that were mostly Joel episodes every day before work. These days I do prefer Mike over the Joel episodes, but I also missed most of the Sci-fi
 era shows on first run due to not getting the Sci-fi channel until the series was almost done. So knowing the history, I'm willing to cut the later episodes some slack too, but there were so many great Mike episodes (to me more than great Joel episodes) that the not-so-great Mike episodes (though still enjoyable) shock me more than the Joel not-so-great.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1503 on: August 17, 2017, 07:18:15 AM »
212 Godzilla Vs. Megalon
In keeping with the episodes I've recently been watching, I started watching this episode via an old VHS rip. Switched to the pulled DVD about 20 minutes in and the upgrade in video quality was very, very noticeable.
Always had kind of mixed feelings about the Japanese monster movie episodes. They can be great, but they get pretty repetitive if you try and watch too many of them back to back. Hadn't seen one in awhile, so enjoyed this one quite a bit.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1504 on: August 25, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »
213 Godzilla Vs The Sea Monster
First thought was the invention exchange was goofy in a good way and a way that was missing from Season 11. The total lack of riffing in the brief but bizarre opening credits was weird. Another one where a DVD release would likely be a significant upgrade over the crappy video quality of my VHS rip. The Catalina Caper of Gozilla movies. Enjoyed it, but overall would give it a good but not great rating.
Did really enjoy the Planet of the apes riff that was beaten into the ground.
And now back to episodes that have been released to DVD while waiting for Volume 39 to arrive.5
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 06:49:06 PM by wihogfan »

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1505 on: September 16, 2017, 11:45:52 AM »
310 Fugitive Alien followed by KTMA Episode 12 Fugitive Alien
Season 3 episode easily one of my favorite Joel episodes. While the KTMA version isn't as good, (other than looking like pixelated ass in the version that's available) it's one of the better KTMA episodes as well (despite missing Trace/Dr F./Crow).
While the movie is silly, it's far more watchable enjoyable than the standard Sandy Frank flick and he tried to kill him with a forklift.

Online Johnny Unusual

• Tells No Tales
  • Liked: 3815
  • Now you're playing with power!
« Reply #1506 on: September 17, 2017, 05:00:10 AM »
Carnival Magic

God damn is Markov an insufferable dude.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1507 on: September 18, 2017, 12:09:04 PM »
1107 The Land That Time Forgot
Had taken a break from going back amd watching any season 11 episodes. Picked this one due to watching with the wofe and her preference for riffs of movies where the movies themselves aren't deadfully boring. Can't remember what my initial impression of this episode was, but I enjoyed it a lot this time. Laughed quite a bit at the riffs and thought the host segments were goofy fun.

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #1508 on: September 19, 2017, 10:59:06 AM »
1107 The Land That Time Forgot
Had taken a break from going back amd watching any season 11 episodes. Picked this one due to watching with the wofe and her preference for riffs of movies where the movies themselves aren't deadfully boring. Can't remember what my initial impression of this episode was, but I enjoyed it a lot this time. Laughed quite a bit at the riffs and thought the host segments were goofy fun.

I remember not liking this episode the first time but enjoying each subsequent viewing. Season 11 has that effect on people (or at least the right people. ;)).

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1509 on: September 19, 2017, 05:06:43 PM »
422 The Day The Earth Froze
Watched on Pluto TV today. A genre I typically don't enjoy much even when riffed and made worse in that most (like this one) are of terrible video quality. But maybe the most midwestern riffs of any MDT3K or rifftrax release ever which really raised my enjoyment of it. Wasn't on my list of favorite Joel episodes before today, but now it's on it.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1510 on: September 24, 2017, 09:40:25 AM »
614 San Francisco International
Boy, the Urkel segments started as something that felt very dated, but then got funny, then tedious, then funny again, then tedious, and the Torgo ending saved it. Enjoyed the riffing, especially all the "it's your fault we're getting a divorce" riffs aimed at the annoying pouty kid. 70s TV hippy was also a highlight of the movie that in the Joel days would have gotten his own host segment.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1511 on: September 24, 2017, 02:34:11 PM »
617 The Sword and the Dragon
I found the Ingmar Bergman joke hilarious on a couple of different levels, but wonder if the punchline was too dated for many to get. It and the appearance of Bridgette and Mary Jo were the highlights for me.
I was never fond of the Russo-Finnish episodes in the past (and this one is really just Russian and not Russo-Finnish), but I enjoyed this episode and The Day The Earth Froze on these recent viewings a lot more than I remembered on past viewings.
Doubt an HD version exists, but the movie itself would be kind of impressive just due to the number of extras used if the video quality was a lot better. The kids loyalty really did turn quickly. Dragon effects better than mwost Japanese big monster movie effects (but the dragon doesn't appear until the very end- appearance not really explained either unless I missed it).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 02:47:33 PM by wihogfan »

Offline Iron Curtain

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 5
    • My website full o' stuff.
« Reply #1512 on: September 25, 2017, 05:29:22 AM »
614 San Francisco International
Boy, the Urkel segments started as something that felt very dated, but then got funny, then tedious, then funny again, then tedious, and the Torgo ending saved it. Enjoyed the riffing, especially all the "it's your fault we're getting a divorce" riffs aimed at the annoying pouty kid. 70s TV hippy was also a highlight of the movie that in the Joel days would have gotten his own host segment.

That episode is my third favorite episode. I love all the riffs about Rush: "Serum: The New CD From Rush!"

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1513 on: October 26, 2017, 07:20:32 PM »
09 Phase IV
I remember hating this episode the other time I watched it. Didn't hate it this time, but also didn't find it very funny. Improvisation of the riffing at KTMA was really evident as there were numerous riffs where one riffer would riff and one of the others would chuckle and then essentionally make the same riff worded a bit differently.
The commercials were interesting- one for a travel agency with Kevin's voice, a commercial for Joel's standup at a local comedy club, and then a commercial with the mads in character for a local pizza restaurant.

Offline wihogfan

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #1514 on: October 29, 2017, 08:26:37 AM »
1013 Diabolik
I've always found this episode somewhat depressing just to knowing it's the last Mike episode we'll ever get. Hadn't seen it in awhile though. Goofy movie with an unlikeable hero that made for some good riffing. Enjoyed the Showdown in Eden Prarie feature.