login

Author Topic: Harry Potter 7 Discussion!! (WARNING - SPOILERS)  (Read 7821 times)

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
Re: Harry Potter 7 Discussion!! (WARNING - SPOILERS)
« Reply #45 on: February 29, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »
I have a lot of thoughts about this, but the one most pressing on my mind is

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There is a way things have to be done in writing stories, stories differ from reality, the heroes have to dabble in illegal things. The heroes have to do everything and anything they can to stop the bad guys. If the heroes had an easy time of it without moral dilemma's, than the villain is obviously not scary/cool enough. Trust me, its good for characters to have this happen. And there were moral dilemma's to it, JK rowling just left us to deal with them, if she showed the repercussions it would slow down the pacing, because they aren't needed. Especially since this isn't the first time we have seen our heroes use them.

If you were on that cart, going into Gringotts and you knew that the only way you could find the thing you need to bring down the bad guy, was to take control of another person, would you do anything different? Would you say to the Goblin...hi, I need to break into somebody's vault, but no, I"m not stealing money, I'm stealing something from you know freakin who, but if I destroy it, it could potentially kill him..." You think he is going to let you? Even if he did, all those freaking death eaters had to do then was torture the goblin into telling them that he helped them. But by you casting that horrible spell on him, you get the thing and help destroy moldymort.

Well then...that is why she used them, sure they are horrible, they are illegal...I mean torture, loss of free will, and murder...I agree that those are prisonable offences...But sometimes the hero has to take matters into his own hand. (I'm still talking about harry potter)

I completely agree w/ you! plus there was so much death that by the time Lupin dies it is mentioned as an off handed comment! I had to re-read atleast 4 times for it to really sink in. I thought that was heartless!

Lupin's death wasn't an off hand comment, she used that part to shock people...as you obviously were. Those types of deaths create atmosphere, and pacing. If you are in a battle scene with dozens of characters you care about, the best thing the author can do is cause shock to readers by some people's sudden unexpected deaths. If JK Rowling had spent a lot of time on each characters death, the last chapter would be slow, with exposition interrupting action and emotion. Sure it can be dissatisfiying, but I fail to see how an author could have handled it better than her and still have the heart racing non stop action throughout that she was able to achieve. she handled it beautifully.

Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #46 on: February 29, 2008, 11:58:49 AM »

There is a way things have to be done in writing stories, stories differ from reality, the heroes have to dabble in illegal things. The heroes have to do everything and anything they can to stop the bad guys. If the heroes had an easy time of it without moral dilemma's, than the villain is obviously not scary/cool enough. Trust me, its good for characters to have this happen. And there were moral dilemma's to it, JK rowling just left us to deal with them, if she showed the repercussions it would slow down the pacing, because they aren't needed. Especially since this isn't the first time we have seen our heroes use them.

If you were on that cart, going into Gringotts and you knew that the only way you could find the thing you need to bring down the bad guy, was to take control of another person, would you do anything different? Would you say to the Goblin...hi, I need to break into somebody's vault, but no, I"m not stealing money, I'm stealing something from you know freakin who, but if I destroy it, it could potentially kill him..." You think he is going to let you? Even if he did, all those freaking death eaters had to do then was torture the goblin into telling them that he helped them. But by you casting that horrible spell on him, you get the thing and help destroy moldymort.

Well then...that is why she used them, sure they are horrible, they are illegal...I mean torture, loss of free will, and murder...I agree that those are prisonable offences...But sometimes the hero has to take matters into his own hand. (I'm still talking about harry potter)

I completely agree w/ you! plus there was so much death that by the time Lupin dies it is mentioned as an off handed comment! I had to re-read atleast 4 times for it to really sink in. I thought that was heartless!

Lupin's death wasn't an off hand comment, she used that part to shock people...as you obviously were. Those types of deaths create atmosphere, and pacing. If you are in a battle scene with dozens of characters you care about, the best thing the author can do is cause shock to readers by some people's sudden unexpected deaths. If JK Rowling had spent a lot of time on each characters death, the last chapter would be slow, with exposition interrupting action and emotion. Sure it can be dissatisfiying, but I fail to see how an author could have handled it better than her and still have the heart racing non stop action throughout that she was able to achieve. she handled it beautifully.

I can accept that. I think it is Harry Potter's character that is flawed, in my previous post I say JK Rowling seemed to be torn between two characterizations of Harry Potter's character. She wanted him to be an "anti hero" type character who goes around doing dark shocking things, but isn't necessarily a bad guy. The other thing she wanted, was a self sacrificing boy who experiences righteous indignation to bring about his means. What we get, is a boy whos character doesn't match 20 pages after him using an unforgivable curse. And, I agree, Mcgonigal using an unforgivable curse is not cool, at all. She is a powerful witch, and I don't see her using them.

I think the only character she got right, didn't ruin, was compelling, tragic, awesome, and the only character she stayed true to, was Snape.

Offline headlesschocolatebunny

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #47 on: February 29, 2008, 12:03:17 PM »

Gravity, thou are a heartless bitch!

Offline Fuzzy Necromancer

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2008, 06:13:33 PM »
Speaking of Severus (possibly named after St. Severous, a righteous individual who was wrongly accused of using black magic and had a strong dislike for baths), one thing I still don't get is
Love doesn't hurt. It kills.

"Where there's smoke, there's a smoke-making machine."