Author Topic: Clearing up KidTrax confusion / Post ideas for a new Riff.  (Read 2824 times)

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • You callin' me racist?

Clearing Up The Confusion

Ok I know a lot of people might of gotten confused about what KidTrax was about and I'm here to clear things up.

Regarding the whole Hackers riff dilemma I wanted to do a riff but it didn't fit the whole KidTrax concept so I made a lengthy script and sent it to the Riff Raff Guys in hopes of it's creation.

Ok later I figured that Shark Boy and Lava Girl while easily riffable, would have a very limited amount of people to actually be able to listen to it, and I wanted to have a fairly wide open riff for the first one, so out of sheer impulse I wanted to do Willy Wonka because of it's availability, which I now know was probably a bad idea. 

So now what?

Now I'm at a dilemma to what I should actually riff and decided to let you guys choose. Post your top 5 kids movies you really want to be riffed and if this hopefully goes anywhere I'll begin work on the script.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Re: Clearing up KidTrax confusion / Post ideas for a new Riff.
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »
A few questions for clarification:
Is this a riff you yourself would preform?
Is this for kids?
If it is for kids, do you realize how insanely hard it would be to do a riff appropriate to that age group? It would have to be without bad language, sexual innuendo, implied violence, or exploitation of tragedy, unless you want an army of angry parents to lynch you. Also, you'd be limited to referencing pop culture a kid would be familiar with. Riffing "Suddenly Dash crashes into XLR8. Oops!" could work if you're riffing Incredibles, but a Jacque Cousteau  joke during Finding Nemo would go right over their heads. You could be opening yourself up to a world of pain, my friend.

Also, why do you think Sharkboy and Lava Girl would be hard to find?

With all that said,
Bambi- Classic, possibly well known by the audience. Lots of possible jokes as a result of it being part of pop culture.
Incredibles- A fun movie, not filled with jokes every minute, washing out the riffs.
Emperor's New Groove- Bad movie that deserves riffing. "David Spade, professional jerk."
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla or Son of Godzilla- They can be hard to get ahold of in places, but Godzilla films always work.
One of the Pokemon films- Need I elaborate?

But now, may I make a big suggestion?
Don't do a full length movie. MST3K broke up their movies into colorful segments because they knew adults had trouble focusing for 1.5 hours. Kids would no doubt get bored of people making jokes over a 2 hour movie.
So instead go to
http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger
, find an appropriate short film, and riff that using Windows Movie Maker or it's equivalent. It's easier for you, easier for the kid, and much more entertaining to their ADD riddled minds.

In any case, good luck.

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You callin' me racist?
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2008, 02:44:55 PM »
A few questions for clarification:
Is this a riff you yourself would preform?
Is this for kids?
If it is for kids, do you realize how insanely hard it would be to do a riff appropriate to that age group? It would have to be without bad language, sexual innuendo, implied violence, or exploitation of tragedy, unless you want an army of angry parents to lynch you. Also, you'd be limited to referencing pop culture a kid would be familiar with. Riffing "Suddenly Dash crashes into XLR8. Oops!" could work if you're riffing Incredibles, but a Jacque Cousteau  joke during Finding Nemo would go right over their heads. You could be opening yourself up to a world of pain, my friend.

Also, why do you think Sharkboy and Lava Girl would be hard to find?

With all that said,
Bambi- Classic, possibly well known by the audience. Lots of possible jokes as a result of it being part of pop culture.
Incredibles- A fun movie, not filled with jokes every minute, washing out the riffs.
Emperor's New Groove- Bad movie that deserves riffing. "David Spade, professional jerk."
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla or Son of Godzilla- They can be hard to get ahold of in places, but Godzilla films always work.
One of the Pokemon films- Need I elaborate?

But now, may I make a big suggestion?
Don't do a full length movie. MST3K broke up their movies into colorful segments because they knew adults had trouble focusing for 1.5 hours. Kids would no doubt get bored of people making jokes over a 2 hour movie.
So instead go to
http://www.archive.org/details/prelinger
, find an appropriate short film, and riff that using Windows Movie Maker or it's equivalent. It's easier for you, easier for the kid, and much more entertaining to their ADD riddled minds.

In any case, good luck.

Actually it's not intended for kids at all. I picked the Kids genre because of how awful some of the movies put out for it are and Rifftrax isn't keen on making fun of kids movies.  Thanks for the suggests by the way. I don't know if too many people will bite so I'll see what I can do with Shark Boy and Lava Girl.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 03:19:57 PM »
Ah, good.

YOU MADE ME WASTE WORDS!

My list stands. Put me doubly down for Bambi. (I know it's not bad, but it's definitely got some potential.)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 05:16:12 PM »
Oh by the way I am sorry but I am not going to be able to help you with this.

My computer doesn't have Excel on it :speechless:

Sorry.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2008, 06:41:54 PM »
Could you answer the part about whether or not you'll be recording them or not?

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You callin' me racist?
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2008, 06:12:04 AM »
Oh by the way I am sorry but I am not going to be able to help you with this.

My computer doesn't have Excel on it :speechless:

Sorry.

Do you have Open office? The point is you need something that works with the format.

Could you answer the part about whether or not you'll be recording them or not?

Yes.

I'll take a look at Bambi but aside from "OMFG this scene is so F---ing long!" or "Bugs Bunny forgot to take his Ritalin." There isn't a whole lot I could do.   

Invader_quirk

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 11:16:17 AM »
I'll take a look at Bambi but aside from "OMFG this scene is so F---ing long!" or "Bugs Bunny forgot to take his Ritalin." There isn't a whole lot I could do.   

Then maaaybe riffing's not your thing.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2008, 09:46:29 PM »

Then maaaybe riffing's not your thing.

I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.  I think you should give it a go on your own CartoonDiablo.   I'd try to do one on your own before you start accepting scripts and taking on a project of that size.  Speaking from experience, writing and performing a riff people might actually enjoy is a lot harder than you'd expect it to be.  I don't want to think how many times I've watched the couple of movies I've chosen, and I only have one finished product so far. 

Invader_quirk

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2008, 10:46:41 PM »
I have no doubt that once you got started riffing on Bambi, you'd be coming up with a bunch of jokes. I was just joking that if you went in and, as you predicted, couldn't think of anything other than those two jokes you mentioned, then riffing might not be your strong point. No offense meant.

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008, 06:06:05 AM »
Yeah, sometimes you really surprise yourself with what you can come up with.  I've been working on a script for a movie I'm kind of convinced Rifftrax has considered (based on other movies they've done, hint) and passed on thinking it might be too slow and dull...and I have many pages to work with already after 20 minutes movie-time.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing