Author Topic: Chinese Democracy = Free Dr. Pepper  (Read 7338 times)

Offline Rude

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
Chinese Democracy = Free Dr. Pepper
« on: March 28, 2008, 11:45:34 AM »

Dr Pepper Will Give Everyone* in America a Free Soda If Axl Rose Releases New Guns N' Roses Album, Chinese Democracy, In 2008
*Guitarists Slash and Buckethead Will Not Be Eligible For Free Soda

Quote from: CNN.com
Tired of a world in which Americans idolize wannabe singers and musicals about high schoolers pass as rock 'n roll music, Dr Pepper is encouraging (ok, begging) Axl Rose to finally release his 17-year-in-the-making belabored masterpiece, Chinese Democracy, in 2008.

In an unprecedented show of solidarity with Axl, everyone in America, except estranged GNR guitarists Slash and Buckethead, will receive a free can of Dr Pepper if the album ships some time -- anytime! -- in 2008.

Rest of the article: here

And Axl actually responded to the offer on the official GN'R website:

Quote from: Axl Rose
We are surprised and very happy to have the support of Dr Pepper with our album "Chinese Democracy," as for us, this came totally out of the blue. If there is any involvement with this promotion by our record company or others, we are unaware of such at this time. And as some of Buckethead's performances are on our album, I'll share my Dr Pepper with him.

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
Re: Chinese Democracy = Free Dr. Pepper
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2008, 12:30:51 PM »
Wouldn't that be crazy if Duke Nukem and a Guns N' Roses album were both released this year? I have the same expectations of the quality level for both, low.

Offline Conor

• Yardstick
  • Global Moderator
  • Liked: 96
    • conorlastowka.com
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2008, 01:33:16 PM »
In 2003 I drove to Philly to see the GNR tour that was going on.  Axl didn't show, and Philly rioted, (some guy yelled "Are we Philly?  Are we Philly!?!" to no one in particular while setting his shirt on fire.)  It was intense full riot squad, seats being torn up and thrown and everything.  The tour was canceled a few days later.  Waiting for Chinese Democracy will mark the end of an era, and will surely disappoint, but I'm still curious as hell to hear what it sounds like.

Offline BathTub

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 357
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2008, 03:14:16 PM »
Ok, cool, I didn't know Buckethead was from GnR.

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2008, 04:14:53 PM »
*Cadbury Schweppes Board Meeting.

Board Member 1: All right, what should we do to maximize profits for the next quarter.

Board Member 2: Ooh. Ooh!

Board Member 1: *Sigh* What is it this time Jerry?

Jerry: We should give everyone in America a free Dr. Pepper if Axyl finally releases Chinese Democracy! Rockin!

Board Member 1: Ummm... what?

* Heh sorry for that. That was pretty much my reaction to this news. WTF does Dr. Pepper have to do with GNR exactly? Seemed kind of bizarrely funny to me.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2008, 09:35:48 AM by The Warrior »
Killing me won't bring back your Goddamned honey!

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 859
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 04:36:40 PM »
Ok, cool, I didn't know Buckethead was from GnR.

Rather Buckethead joined/played in the reformed GnR along with Tommy Stinson of the Replacements and Brain from Primus. Buckethead had many albums before he played with GnR. Axl accused him of joining GnR, then working a new record deal for himself because of his involvement with GnR, then quiting.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Wheaty Petestraw

• Magneto-cent Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »
I hope less people drink Dr. Pepper than before because of this.

and Warrior, isn't Dr. Pepper produced by Cadbury Schweppes?
my entry made my girlfriend laugh a few times, the best I can hope for really.

I'd say Whalberg definately qualifies as really good.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2008, 10:25:08 PM »
But how can WE make this happen? I want free Dr. Pepper!

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2008, 09:34:53 AM »
and Warrior, isn't Dr. Pepper produced by Cadbury Schweppes?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dr._Pepper

Correct. I was just unaware at the time I posted that. I will edit my post to reflect my growing knowledge. :)

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 06:28:48 PM »

Dr Pepper To Deliver On Its Free-Soda Promise

Quote from: Associated Press
Dr Pepper is making good on its promise of free soda now that the release of Guns N' Roses' "Chinese Democracy" is a reality. The soft-drink maker said in March that it would give a free soda to everyone in America if the album dropped in 2008. "Chinese Democracy," infamously delayed since recording began in 1994, goes on sale Sunday.

"We never thought this day would come," Tony Jacobs, Dr Pepper's vice president of marketing, said in a statement. "But now that it's here, all we can say is: The Dr Pepper's on us."

Beginning Sunday at 12:01 a.m., coupons for a free 20-ounce soda will be available for 24 hours on Dr Pepper's Web site. They'll be honored until Feb. 28.

Complete article: here

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline Nick

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
Sweet. Now if only I liked Dr. Pepper. I do like me some GNR though. What's the word on the album?

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 09:48:23 PM »
Hey guys, I work at the JCPenney home office in Plano, Texas, which is just down the street from the Cadbury Schweppes Texas office. Should I go to the front door and demand my free Dr. Pepper? And if they refuse, should I riot?

Maybe Axl can join me, seeing as how he's not going to have anything to live for once the world hears this washed up piece of crap hit the airwaves.

Offline RobtheBarbarian

• Liked: 8
  • Snarl!
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 09:49:48 PM »
He'll just go pack to getting drunk and picking fights with people - his real talent.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 03:44:56 AM »
So is this album a seething indictment of China? Or just a pile of crap songs being pushed to nostalgic ex-fans?

Offline PsypherPunk

• Big Montana
    • PsypherPunk
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 04:58:07 AM »
I'm actually vaguely impressed with the album although I'll admit I wasn't expecting much. No, it isn't worth a decade and a half of waiting and no, if won't change the face of Planet Rock but it's pretty listenable. The production's pretty dense without being overproduced (quite an achievement considering...), the lyrics are narcissistic to say the least and Axl has a tendency to break out the strings and piano a little too often but when it rocks, it rocks pretty hard. Yep, kinda glad Guns N' Roses are back...sort of.

At least you all get a free beverage out of it.