login

Author Topic: Fan Riff: Hackers  (Read 3020 times)

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 0
  • You callin' me racist?
Fan Riff: Hackers
« on: March 26, 2008, 04:32:43 PM »
Our goal here is over the course of a few months to create a good Fan riff of the 1995 monstrosity Hackers

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hackers_%28film%29
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 05:55:29 PM by CartoonDiablo »

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
  • Liked: 5
  • Steampunk Monster Hunter
    • Riff Raff Theater
Re: Fan Riff: Hackers
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2008, 04:36:36 PM »
By the way, who all do you mean when you said "Our goal"?

Meanwhile, a very good choice.

"DUUUDDDEESSSS!!!! EXTREEEEEMMEEE TYPING!!"

anais.jude

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2008, 04:37:39 PM »
One of Angelina's first roles. and the first movie where she married her co-star Johnny Lee Miller (aka sick boy)

excellant choice indeed!

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You callin' me racist?
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2008, 05:51:24 PM »
Ok sorry for the accidental post but.

Make your scripts and send them to Riff Raff Theatre, we can get their attention for this movie.

And if that fails I'll resort to you guys making the riffs and emailing them directly to me to have riffed. 

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You callin' me racist?
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2008, 05:58:29 PM »
By the way, who all do you mean when you said "Our goal"?

Meanwhile, a very good choice.

"DUUUDDDEESSSS!!!! EXTREEEEEMMEEE TYPING!!"

Yeah I was in a vacation house and they had shit loads of nerdy films one of those being Hackers. 

I threw up a little in my mouth.

Also our "goal" is to try to get the attention of Riff Raff Theatre by sending in the scripts.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2008, 08:15:20 PM »
While I very much appreciate your enthusiasm, I think a forum petition may be safer than a "send in your scripts" thing at the moment.
See, we have a somewhat limited selection of films we can riff in our live shows, and I'd have to check back with Chris to see if Hackers is on said list.
And while we MAY be doing riffs that won't end up in the live performances, we still have a few other considerations to make regarding something like this, such as time, DVD availability, and total willing participants. We'd hate to have people do all the work of writing scripts without us being able to preform it.

But definitely, anyone who'd like to riff (NOT JUST SEE THE RIFF, I MEAN WRITE ONE,) Hackers, speak up. If nothing else, we can add it to our next poll.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2008, 08:18:48 PM »
I'm speaking up.

Offline Junkyard

• Can't Shoot Straight
    • Riff Raff Theater
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2008, 08:35:54 PM »
Well, I couldn't find it on the Criterion Pictures list, (the list of movies we can show at the Englert,) so that's a hurdle. (I'll still get confirmation on that though.) But the film itself seem's pretty easily and cheaply available, judging from Amazon and Netflix.

In any case, we've got a few things to get done in the next month or so, so however this goes, it'll go slowly. We all have time to chew on this.

Also, even if you end up having to do it yourself like you suggested, I'll probably send in a few riffs at least. It remember watching this as a young teen, and I was riffing it even then.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2008, 08:39:34 PM by Junkyard »

Offline Hank_Peters

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Look at my crotch!
    • My music
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2008, 04:26:12 AM »
I LOVE THIS MOVIE.

Out of my proud collection of bad movies, this little gem gets viewed the most. My time isn't exactly free at the moment, but I will make time for my little baby.

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2008, 10:21:54 AM »
I'm just gonna say this right now.

If we end up doing a riff that will be an online-only release (with no live show connected), this is so on the short list.

I don't dare say "we're doing it", but yeah. Short list.

Consider Mister the Plague on notice.

-Chris

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2008, 12:18:17 PM »
I'm down for whatever. 

To CartoonDiablo- If Riff Raff Theater wants in that's great, but if you want to get a fan riff made, you're better off accepting scripts on your own and completing a final version of your script.  It's a lot easier to get someone to record a finished product than to have to go through and edit and fill in gaps AND record it.  I'm pretty sure that's what the Dune riff is going to be.  RVR II and BTA are finalizing a script and giving that to the Riff Raff guys hoping they'll record it. (If not I said I'd do it.)   So if you're willing to do the grunt work, I'm sure you can find someone to record it for you. 

I'm glad Chris spoke up because this would be a great project to have everyone involved with, but I don't think it's a good idea to set a precident of sending blanket submissions to the Riff Raff guys, thinking that they'll handle scripts for every movie that anyone wants to have a riff of. 

Offline ChrisHanel

• Not Hurt By Pain
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2008, 01:37:28 PM »
The reason I spoke up is because it just so happens that he recommended a film that we'd already talked at length about possibly doing that happened to not be on our distribution list for live shows.

As for taking full scripts from people, I have to disagree. We'll be much less likely to perform a script that wasn't managed and organized by us, because it's impossible for us to know who to accurately give credit to, and there's no guarantees that all the jokes in the script have been cleared by the writer for such use. It's not a commentary on the person giving us the script, rather that judgement is in place for our own protection down the line.

That being said, Dune is a special case given the authors and the backstory to the project, and we haven't said 100% we'd record it either (which I'd refuse to do in any case without seeing the script first.)  In any case, it shouldn't set a precedent in people's minds as to what we'll take on.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2008, 02:22:46 PM »

That being said, Dune is a special case given the authors and the backstory to the project, and we haven't said 100% we'd record it either (which I'd refuse to do in any case without seeing the script first.)  In any case, it shouldn't set a precedent in people's minds as to what we'll take on.

I didn't mean to speak on behalf of the Riff Raff guys, but if anyone wants a script recorded and doesn't have the means to do it themselves, I'm sure someone would be willing to do it.  I was more speaking to the CartoonDiablo taking on a project for Riff Raff Theater, that they didn't saction.  That's all. 

Offline GroovyDave

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • "Trust me, I work for the Government."
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2008, 09:17:11 AM »
I love this film without any shame or faux-hipster irony.

It's a classic redemption tale as the young hackers set out to clear their good names and restore peace and prosperity to the land by exposing a dangerous terrorist plot. Their goals are noble and Dade's wooing of Kate provides a rich source of tension and release over the course of the film as they realize that their attraction is more than just puppy love.

The rich characterizations provided by the two Kabuki Theater hackers from the "Hack the Planet" show give this film an international appeal.

Hackers the movie is so much better than fluff like War Games or the hacking scene in Jurassic Park or even a movie about sentient robots like Short Circuit. This is a film that has withstood the test of time. I know that every day I can look over at my Personal Computer and feel a sense of pride in the RISC processor that's inside. Truly, RISC is the future!

If we must Riff this film, please do so with care and kindness. To do any less would dishonor the memory of the brave hackers who have gone before us into the dark night of dev/null. Let their bit patterns not be forgotten!

HACK THE PLANET!

Footnote: I have suffered many head injuries over the years.

Offline CartoonDiablo

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • You callin' me racist?
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2008, 07:38:29 PM »
Ok well I finally finished the damn script and am ready to have sexily reviewed by the team.