login

Author Topic: Meanwhile at the Peach Pit....  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Compound

• Grendel's Mom
  • Liked: 988
  • Happy 11th Birthday, Synch Issues!
Meanwhile at the Peach Pit....
« on: March 16, 2008, 10:33:15 AM »
Whimper.

Rich kids are back: CW plots '90210' spinoff

The most popular ZIP code on television is coming back.

The CW is developing a contemporary spinoff of Aaron Spelling's seminal 1990s teen soap "Beverly Hills, 90210."

"Veronica Mars" creator Rob Thomas is in talks to pen the project, which has been put on the fast track by the network.

Details about the spinoff -- including which if any of the characters on the original series will make the transition to the new show -- remain sketchy. CW is expected to make a decision whether to order a pilot by the end of the month.

The spinoff is being produced by CBS Paramount Network TV, which absorbed original series producer Spelling TV two years ago.

Sources said "90210" creator Darren Star is not involved.

CAA, which packaged the original "90210," is said to have been the mastermind behind the idea of spinning off the hit series. The spinoff would bring Thomas back to CW, where his acclaimed series "Veronica Mars" ended its three-year run last spring.

A year ago, Endeavor-repped Thomas developed a spinoff of sorts from "Veronica" -- an alternative fourth season that would have found the title character studying at the FBI Academy. Despite a warm reception for his trailer at CW, the network ultimately canceled "Veronica," but CW chief Dawn Ostroff said at the time that she was looking to do another project with Thomas.

This would be the second spinoff from "90210," which aired on Fox from 1990-2000. The Star-created "Melrose Place" had a successful seven-year run on Fox. It didn't feature any major characters from "90210."

A teen soap about privileged youths living in Beverly Hills would be a perfect companion to CW's buzzworthy freshman drama "Gossip Girl," which revolves around rich teens living in Manhattan.

Spinoffs are hot this development season. Fox is developing two: "Cleveland," centered on the Cleveland Brown character from the hit animated comedy "Family Guy," and a "Prison Break" offshoot set at a female prison.

Last year, ABC spun off its medical juggernaut "Grey's Anatomy" into "Private Practice."

The CW also has a spinoff on its schedule, the "Girlfriends" offshoot "The Game."

Seriously, enough with the remakes.

On the bright side though, Rob Thomas is involved. Maybe he can write in a subtheme about the rivalry between the privileged kids and the not-so-privileged kids at West Beverly HS, which culminates in a school bus full of the latter plunging off a cliff, forcing a teenaged PI to solve the mystery....

Oh, wait. That's been done.

Offline PlayMSTie

• Not Hurt By Pain
  • Liked: 4
Re: Meanwhile at the Peach Pit....
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 08:20:24 PM »
I've said it before, but it bears repeating: That network is a joke.
"There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal." C. S. Lewis

Bring back Bridget!

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2008, 03:12:01 AM »
This ought to go over at LEAST as well as "The New Monkees."

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2008, 05:08:57 AM »
Are you kidding me, this'll be the biggest thing since South Beach
 ;D
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2383
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2008, 06:14:19 AM »
I love CWs logic.  One of its biggest ratings draws has been WWE Smackdown, and they decide not to renew it because it doesn't bring in the girl demographic and they can't sell their crappy teen dramas during it.  Now they're just trying to revitalize one of the shows everyone makes fun of the 90s for producing.  I mean, how many of these damn "man life as an attractive teen is hard" shows to we freaking need?
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2008, 06:20:14 AM »
That's the channel that has Reaper right?
I love that show
 ;D

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 06:36:53 AM »
So this will be like Funky Winkerbean the TV series in which we see some of our favorite characters as old buggers now.

Incidentally I am overjoyed that the spell check didn't have a problem with "winkerbean" genius! :D

Offline jewishcarpenter

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 543
  • I grow flowers so pretty they'll make you throw up
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2008, 12:48:52 PM »
I hope they bring back Cop Rock too.
[yt=425,350]Euk1N0zVyww[/yt]
[yt=425,350]bbKaZbzXNYg[/yt]
« Last Edit: March 17, 2008, 01:00:53 PM by jewishcarpenter »

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2008, 12:50:53 PM »
Oh my god that'd be great!

Best Botch-co show ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doctor Who?

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2008, 12:57:29 PM »
So they decided to bring back the most dated thing from the 90s?!! ???

How this "Network" still on the air?!

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2008, 11:17:03 PM »
That's the channel that has Reaper right?
I love that show
 ;D

It's the channel that decided to cancel its comedy lineup, including Reaper. Cos, you know, it just doesn't get those Gossip Girl numbers they're looking for.

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008, 05:23:40 AM »
TV Guide reports that Lori Laughlin, who is best known for playing Rebecca 'Becky' Katsopolis on "Full House," has joined the cast of the upcoming CW's "90210" update. She joins a growing cast that includes Dustin Milligan (Runaway) and AnnaLynne McCord (Nip/Tuck).

Loughlin, 43, will play Celia Mills, an ex-Olympic athlete who relocates to Beverly Hills with her husband (BH High's new principal) and two children. To play Loughlin's daughter, Hilary Duff has been approached.

The pilot for the new "90210" show is currently undergoing a rewrite by Gabe Sacks and Jeff Judah.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008, 02:20:36 PM »
I really can't think of anything worse than this. Although remaking Melrose Place comes pretty close.