login

Author Topic: The Old Disney Channel Memorial  (Read 3541 times)

Offline TMC1982

• Blue Beer Drinker
  • Liked: 0
The Old Disney Channel Memorial
« on: February 25, 2008, 11:44:26 PM »
http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/Old_Disney_Channel_Memorial/

The Disney Channel really jumped the shark when around 2002, it decided that it wanted to compete with Nickelodeon and remake itself as an all tween channel (instead of something for everybody). Disney Channel realized that shows like "Lizzie McGuire" and "Even Stevens" (and whatever else fell under the "Zoog" label at the time) were getting higher ratings than anything else on the channel at the time. If you tune into Disney Channel today, and you'll see that virtually all of their major shows (i.e. "Hannah Montana", "That's So Raven", "Cory in the House", "The Suite Life of Zack and Cody", "The Wizards of Waverly Place", etc.) practically follow a similar formula.

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
Re: The Old Disney Channel Memorial
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 01:34:51 AM »
I like The Suite Life of Zack and Cody.

Dead serious.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008, 02:07:17 AM »
The Disney Channel really jumped the shark when around 2002, it decided that it wanted to compete with Nickelodeon and remake itself as an all tween channel ...

Strangely enough, Nickelodeon jumped the shark when they decided to try to compete with Disney for the same reason. It's this strange downward spiral, with the two networks chasing each other down the toilet. I'm praying Cartoon Network doesn't join, but every day they get pulled further and further in...

The Disney Channel _I_ remember showed classic Disney Cartoons every day. And when I say Classic, I don't mean Ducktales. I mean the old Goofy, Donald, Mickey, etc cartoons. They'd even show the original Mickey Mouse Club. And Mousterpiece Theatre rocked. There were some freaky-weird kid shows too. I have faint memories of some mother-child exercise program called "You and Me, Kid" and a more enthusiastic "Mousercise."

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008, 02:48:15 AM »
In the dumb kid's show vein, I used to watch Dumbo's Circus every morning.

However, they also had shows like "Danger Bay" and "The Edison Twins" which I remember as being quite good.  Danger Bay inspired me to want to be a marine biologist.  Not that I became one, but that's what I said I wanted to be up until High School.  Sometime during High School, I changed to wanting to be an epidemiologist who followed African outbreaks of ebola and other infectious diseases throughout the continent.

In retrospect, the marine biology idea does seem a bit more practical. :)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline RoninFox

• Gryffindork
  • Liked: 2380
    • Ronin Fox Trax
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008, 05:07:37 AM »
Strangely enough, Nickelodeon jumped the shark when they decided to try to compete with Disney for the same reason. It's this strange downward spiral, with the two networks chasing each other down the toilet. I'm praying Cartoon Network doesn't join, but every day they get pulled further and further in...

Every time I see Cartoon Network schedule a live action series for no apparent reason I fear this trend.

Goosebumps?  Really?  Do kids still read those stupid little books?  I remember every girl in my Jr. High having a stack of them in their lockers, but I didn't think they'd be popular this long.
RoninFoxTrax Presents The Thing

gum.co/RFTthing

Doctor Who?

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008, 08:19:18 AM »
While I agree it would be nice to be able to find Classic Disney cartoons and movies on tv(what is Disney thinking you can't get them on DvD or TV,but I am sure if you could a lot of people would watch or buy them and all they are doing now is sitting in a vault they would be making money for free)what is wrong with Ducktales again?

I remember liking it when I was a kid,I remember it being a lot better then the stuff they have on now.

It sure would be a step in the right direction if they would play some Ducktales.

Offline Courtney

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008, 08:24:00 AM »
Echo Dumbo's Circus and Mousercize.  I used to have trouble sleeping past 5am for a few years when I was younger and I watched that every morning, followed by that Alice in Wonderland live action show.  My youth is also filled with memories of both the live action and animated Winnie the Pooh shows.  And I'm not ashamed to say I loved the MMC revival.  Ryan Gosling and Keri Russell working with Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake?  How is that not still airing?  That's golden.  I remember one where they inexplicably sang "Linger" by the Cranberries.  Very strange song for tweens to sing.

In other news, my longing for 80s/90s Nickelodeon knows no end.  I own Clarissa Explains it All and Pete & Pete on DVD.  The second Salute Your Shorts comes out, I'll be getting that too.

Online Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3082
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008, 10:39:24 AM »
While I agree it would be nice to be able to find Classic Disney cartoons and movies on tv(what is Disney thinking you can't get them on DvD or TV,but I am sure if you could a lot of people would watch or buy them and all they are doing now is sitting in a vault they would be making money for free)what is wrong with Ducktales again?

I remember liking it when I was a kid,I remember it being a lot better then the stuff they have on now.

It sure would be a step in the right direction if they would play some Ducktales.
I have nothing against Ducktales, don't get me wrong, but they can't compare to the classic stuff. (I know Toon Disney still plays the old "Disney Afternoon" stuff from time to time, and I plan on getting Darkwing Duck on DVD any day now....) There just doesn't seem to be a safe-haven for the old theatrical cartoons anymore. I guess I'm more upset at Cartoon Network's Boomarang, which was supposed to be just that, but ended up focusing on Cartoon Cartoons from the '90s and still not playing any Looney Tunes. They play The Batman and Justice League Unlimited. What's old school about that?  :^)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008, 11:26:16 AM »

I have nothing against Ducktales, don't get me wrong, but they can't compare to the classic stuff. (I know Toon Disney still plays the old "Disney Afternoon" stuff from time to time, and I plan on getting Darkwing Duck on DVD any day now....) There just doesn't seem to be a safe-haven for the old theatrical cartoons anymore. I guess I'm more upset at Cartoon Network's Boomarang, which was supposed to be just that, but ended up focusing on Cartoon Cartoons from the '90s and still not playing any Looney Tunes. They play The Batman and Justice League Unlimited. What's old school about that?  :^)

Oh i get ya now.

Sorry.

It makes me upset that with almost 200 station on Direct TV you can find no end of Hanna Montana,but i still cann't find Looney Toons,Classic Disney
,Rocky and Bullwinkle,Underdog,or The Muppet show,or Reboot anywhere on the dial.  This is why I think TV stations and networks are doomed once everyone get High speed internet and can just downlaod any show they want.  Why can't we have some verity?

Back when i was a kid we had more verity on the networks that we got with the rabbit ears,but then all the Networks just started playing the same three shows all day every day.

Your right this sucks.

Offline gbeenie

• Ephialtes
  • Liked: 415
  • Prepare to die, obviously!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008, 11:37:04 AM »

It gets worse. Batman and Superman no longer run on Boomerang, and are now on Toon Disney. WTF?
"All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.
Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

- Conan O'Brien

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008, 11:42:47 AM »
Ah Ducktails did have a great episode that was a basic primer in how Inflation works. Not sure who wrote it but it still sits at the back of my mind when thinking about economics :)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008, 11:57:03 AM »
Wasn't there also an episode where Scrooge McDuck turned everything to gold and then gold became worthless?

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2008, 11:58:40 AM »
I'm thinking of one involving bottlecaps as currency but on reflection that might be from a comic and the one you describe might be the Ducktails episode. :)

Doctor Who?

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2008, 12:05:34 PM »
I never read the comics so that may be it.

Either way i loved that show as a kid and when my brother and sister watch a some episodes a few months ago i found that it has stood up a lot better then most of the kids stuff on TV today.

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Very dapper
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2008, 12:06:31 PM »
Is it on DVD? Cause i thought it was a pretty good show too.