Author Topic: The Knight Rider "Event"  (Read 7200 times)

Offline annearchist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
  • Insomnia means never having to say 'Good Morning'.
    • Annearchist.com
The Knight Rider "Event"
« on: February 17, 2008, 08:25:40 PM »
Also known as the "Buy a Ford Focus, you 80's nostalgia freaks!" movie event.

That was some seriously awful dreck. Stilted dialogue, poorly conceived plot... just like the original I guess. But Val Kilmer's voice lulled me into complacency. What's that Val? The Focus is a sexy and well designed car? I should buy one? Anything for you, dear. Just promise that you'll never EVER, attempt to impersonate Brando again, okay?

Oh, and here comes David "Block of Wood" Hasselhoff himself to jump on the cliche pile. I can't look at him without that home movie of him chowing down while drunk popping into my mind. *shudder*.

This might be worthy of a riffing. At least the laughs generated might balance out the vomiting generated by its initial airing.

Edited to add:
If I had only seen the premiere party photos http://www.nbc.com/Knight_Rider/photos/#cat=761 ahead of time, I might have known better. Of course, a "premiere party" implies that there could be subsequent Knight Rider events forthcoming. Yikes.

This photo however, implies a talent vacuum has already begun forming outside the Playboy Mansion, so lets hope a larger Black Hole will develop that sucks in any and all people associated with this show. Except Val. ;)

« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:28:50 PM by annearchist »

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
Re: The Knight Rider "Event"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 09:23:11 PM »
I am a big Knight Rider fan.  I agree this wasn't that great, but it's a pilot.  We'll see if it actually gets enough interest to make it a series. It could possibly pick up.

My favorite parts: the random lesbians thrown in there for no reason and had no impact on the plot whatsoever, the fact that the old KITT was bullet proof even when the car computer was disabled, but this piece of crap completely goes to pieces when the computer goes down and, apparently the super computer that has access to all the world's computers and our government weapons system is protected by two firewalls...and that seems about it. I also loved how apparently they were "war driving" or something because their ability to hack the system increased exponentially as they moved closer to the car (I quipped that they were trying to hack his router...perhaps they really were). 

As a Knight Rider fan I want to bitch about the continuity of the story as there was already a Knight Industry FOUR Thousand, so going to the Three Thousand seems a bit redundant (especially when he apparently has lower tech than the two thousand)...but I fear that will out me as a dork :)
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Offline annearchist

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Liked: 4
  • Insomnia means never having to say 'Good Morning'.
    • Annearchist.com
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 10:16:33 PM »
True, pilots are not always indicative of future episodes.

I think our disparate level of interest in the original Knight Rider might lie in our age difference. I was already between 10 and 14 when Knight Rider came on the scene, so I might have been too busy organizing my sticker collection, mixing & matching my Swatch Guards, or perhaps discovering the wonders of hair mousse to pay a lot of attention to shows about  talking cars. :) I was more used to spinning around to imitate Wonder Woman or posing like the Charlie's Angels logo with my friends.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 10:18:23 PM by annearchist »

Offline torgosPizza

• Administrator
  • Liked: 247
  • Heaven is nowhere, just look to the stars.
    • RiffTrax
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 11:29:02 PM »
.but I fear that will out me as a dork :)

I fear that you're a bit too late on this one, AG :)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 0
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 09:13:03 AM »
I had a couple friends over for the pilot, and we were busy riffing away at the corn on the screen!

I did like Val as KITT, after I got used to the fact that it's Val.

Did anyone else notice the original black Firebird in the garage at the beginning?

One of our favorite moments came at the end when
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Hey hey mama said the way you move
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 09:48:07 AM »
It didn't bother me. The original was campy, so I expected nothing less from this. It's certainly riffable too. This KITT only being indestructible when "on" I think was kinds sorta explained by hinting at the nano technology from the garage.

The only thing that jumped out at me was

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Offline Blueguy

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2008, 10:01:18 AM »
That was Senator Kelly?  lol

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2008, 10:19:21 AM »
Yeah, it seems like this new KITT is inferior to the old one.  Except for the color changing.  Not even any turbo boots, wtf?  So are we supposed to believe that Senetor Kelly built the original KITT in his garage too?  Even though we saw the lab where he was built in the original pilot.    I still think they should have used another 3rd generation Trans Am, the new Mustang doesnt have the sleek classy look as the original KITT, but then they wouldn't have gotten all the promotional money from Ford.  Why is this show even called Knight Rider?  The guys name isnt even Knight.  KITT wont even be able to use the Knight license plate.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 10:21:11 AM by Sideswipe »

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2008, 10:34:22 AM »
To be fair, Michael's name wasn't really Knight either.  This kid's name actually should be Knight (or Long) as he's Michael's Knight's son.  We never were told where Tracer or whatever came from.

He could easily change it to be a man "who does not exist" as is expected of a Knight Rider.

Offline Sideswipe

• Compsognathus
  • Liked: 2052
  • Look at me!!
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2008, 10:39:26 AM »
I suppose he could change his name.  Theres not really a point to though.  I mean there was a reason why Michael had to take the name Knight.

I was bieng threated with death by wolf raping before it was cool!.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2008, 10:47:01 AM »
The kid could decided to proudly embrace his dad and his dad's name.  Michael was kind of a dick to him to him, though.  If it were me I would renounce the Knight name.

"Will I see you again?" "I hope so." 

Well, gee thanks dad I have never seen in my life until today.  I couldn't have expected a more warm, loving greeting. You still trucking around in the Trans Am you left my mom and me for? No? Then what the hell?  Do you really have an excuse for not seeing me for the last 20 years and don't give me the line about not existing, because clearly you existed long enough to knock up my mom.

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2008, 10:52:31 AM »
Val Kilmer, what happened to Will Arnett?
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

Offline Pak-Man

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 3149
  • Insert $0.25 to Play!
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2008, 11:55:51 AM »
Caught the last half hour of this. It sure seemed to capture the unique smell of '80s cheese. I'm still not sure whether I liked it or not, but it felt authentic. :^)

Offline kodiakthejuggler

• Dragon Ryder
  • >Insert Obscure Reference<
    • It's All Geek To Me
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2008, 12:04:45 PM »
Val Kilmer, what happened to Will Arnett?

Seems Mr. Arnett has done many a narration for GM commercials, which would make his involvement with a Ford-sponsored TV show a conflict of interest. He had no choice but to drop out.

Offline Zandrax

• Magneto-cent Member
  • Liked: 1
  • Hey hey mama said the way you move
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2008, 05:08:55 PM »
To be fair, Michael's name wasn't really Knight either.  This kid's name actually should be Knight (or Long) as he's Michael's Knight's son.  We never were told where Tracer or whatever came from.

He could easily change it to be a man "who does not exist" as is expected of a Knight Rider.
I just figured he took his mother's name. Though if I were making it I would have made his mother Bonnie, that brunette technician from first season.