login

Author Topic: Ongoing LOST season 4 thread WITH SPOILERS!  (Read 30696 times)

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Liked: 2666
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
Re: Ongoing LOST season 4 thread WITH SPOILERS!
« Reply #15 on: February 16, 2008, 04:50:21 PM »
I'm a bit curious about the "time moves slower for people on the island" concept.

I guess the rocket being fired from the boat and taking 30 minutes longer than it should have was a pretty big clue of something.....

I read an interview with one of the writers or producers, can't remember witch, but they were answering the theory that the island was a dream or purgatory or stuff like that.  The answer was that they are real people, alive, in  time and space, I always thought it was odd that the "time and space" was added.  It could mean the island is in a different space time environment than the rest of the world.

There are problems with the time shift, if time is different on the island it would be impossible to have live 2 way communication with the outside world...

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 1
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • Jacob's blog on, life, the universe...everything!
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2008, 08:04:35 PM »
I'm a bit curious about the "time moves slower for people on the island" concept.

I guess the rocket being fired from the boat and taking 30 minutes longer than it should have was a pretty big clue of something.....

I read an interview with one of the writers or producers, can't remember witch, but they were answering the theory that the island was a dream or purgatory or stuff like that.  The answer was that they are real people, alive, in  time and space, I always thought it was odd that the "time and space" was added.  It could mean the island is in a different space time environment than the rest of the world.

There are problems with the time shift, if time is different on the island it would be impossible to have live 2 way communication with the outside world...

So my question, is when we have the flashback for Juliet when she wants to know that her sister is still alive. Ben shows her supposedly "live" video that he has with a man video taping Juliet's sister playing with her kid at the park. He video taped a news paper to show that it was that day. But if time is different on the island, maybe her sister really was dead and he just showed video that one of Ben's men had been taking while following Juliet's sister. Just something to think about.

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 2
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2008, 09:14:27 PM »
Meh. It was okay. The rocket thing was stupid. So if you send a rocket to the island, it goes 31 minutes into the future (31 minutes, how arbitrary), but you can still talk to people on the island from a boat with no delay. So in other words, we finally have our proof. The island is just pointless and ridiculous and anything can happen there and it's completely useless to anyone, but too weird and unpredictable to open as a tourist attraction. Also, how about fucking WARNING people when you're going to shoot a ROCKET at a certain spot in the ground. Like maybe, "Don't walk in this circle, please."

Sayid working for Ben just makes me realize... oh shit, it still isn't over, even in the future. It will never end. Even after everyone is dead, there will probably be a Son of Lost or Lost Babies.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2008, 09:56:31 AM »
Meh. It was okay. The rocket thing was stupid. So if you send a rocket to the island, it goes 31 minutes into the future (31 minutes, how arbitrary), but you can still talk to people on the island from a boat with no delay. So in other words, we finally have our proof. The island is just pointless and ridiculous and anything can happen there and it's completely useless to anyone, but too weird and unpredictable to open as a tourist attraction. Also, how about fucking WARNING people when you're going to shoot a ROCKET at a certain spot in the ground. Like maybe, "Don't walk in this circle, please."

Sayid working for Ben just makes me realize... oh shit, it still isn't over, even in the future. It will never end. Even after everyone is dead, there will probably be a Son of Lost or Lost Babies.

That's what I was trying to say about live communication, they could have been playing the "6th sense" game and the person on the boat was just saying stuff and it seemed like the science guy was talking to her, but what about Charlie talking to Penny in real time?

Sayid working for Ben does bring up a lot of questions about how this is going to end.  Be we have no idea how far in the future that flash forward was, maybe Sayid ends up killing Ben and he's the one in coffin from last season. 

New theory:  Sayid is CIA and has been working all along to wipe out both Ben and his rivals....

Offline MrTorso

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 768
  • What are you gonna do??
    • Big Mean Punk Industries
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2008, 10:46:26 PM »
The great Zoe Bell is in the credits for 402 and 403. I didn't notice her last week or the first time I watched 403. I just re-watched it online and I believe she is Regina (on the sat phone). Hopefully when they finally show her on screen she gets to kick some ass.
Check out my webshop for political, punk, pop culture buttons, patches and more! www.bigmeanpunk.com

Offline Cthulhu Bob

• Schnappi Supporter
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2008, 12:26:51 AM »
Just a quick thought on the time delay not affecting communications:

EM radiation travels at the speed of light (radio in this case); thus it's generally unaffected by time alterations (I have a vague memory of a science book about what it would be like to experience reality as a beam of light related to this) unless they involve strong gravity fields and since the island doesn't seem to be orbiting a black hole we can rule that out. But matter, on the other hand, has to obey physical laws a bit more stringently so it is affected. In other words, energy not affected, matter affected.

On a related note, when the physicist told them to head out on the same heading exactly I was wondering if they deviated would they have either time traveled badly, ended up in a parallel universe, or simply had an engine failure and crashed. This makes me think that the Oceanic 815 on the bottom of the sea wasn't a plant but a separate version of the same plane (like those rabbits in the Hanso video being the same rabbit).

I would be willing to bet real money on the island being a nexus point for a whole bunch of parallel realities.

(OW! I think I hurt my brain yet again.)  ;D
In theory, practice and theory are the same. In practice, they aren't.

Always remember... where ever you go, there you are.
-Buckaroo Banzai & Pig Killer

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2008, 01:09:58 AM »
Don't EVER mention those rabbits.

The plane was a plant. Otherwise, why fill it with dead bodies? Would that be any EASIER than duplicating the plane? What'd they do, alter the fine print on organ donor cards to include being put in a plane on the bottom of the ocean?

Offline Cthulhu Bob

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2008, 06:38:29 AM »
You're presuming it was an intentional duplication  :D. If the plane passed the island it could have come from a parallel universe by accident, and with how everything seems to be linked in this show it wouldn't surprise me if it crashed at the same time the Losties crashed on the island. And if you are going to go to all the trouble of duplicating a crashed plane and filling it with bodies to replace the missing passengers do you think you would forget to put the wedding ring on the PILOT? After all the pilot was actually wearing his seat belt so you know that if it was faked they were being very careful lol.

Online MartyS (Gromit)

• Not Quite Legend
  • Weirdies!
    • My homepage
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2008, 08:22:25 AM »

EM radiation travels at the speed of light (radio in this case); thus it's generally unaffected by time alterations (I have a vague memory of a science book about what it would be like to experience reality as a beam of light related to this) unless they involve strong gravity fields and since the island doesn't seem to be orbiting a black hole we can rule that out. But matter, on the other hand, has to obey physical laws a bit more stringently so it is affected. In other words, energy not affected, matter affected.

On a related note, when the physicist told them to head out on the same heading exactly I was wondering if they deviated would they have either time traveled badly, ended up in a parallel universe, or simply had an engine failure and crashed. This makes me think that the Oceanic 815 on the bottom of the sea wasn't a plant but a separate version of the same plane (like those rabbits in the Hanso video being the same rabbit).

I would be willing to bet real money on the island being a nexus point for a whole bunch of parallel realities.

The problem is the woman on the boat counted down and said the payload was delivered, if the missile was slowed down but radio signals were not then she would have seen the missile slowing down.

The parallel realities idea might be a better one, when Micheal left the island Ben told him to stay on a specific course.  There could be a barrier around the island that alters reality, with Jacob in control of it.

Offline deadheadpunk

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Pisces dying rays..
    • Myspace
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2008, 09:47:01 AM »

The problem is the woman on the boat counted down and said the payload was delivered, if the missile was slowed down but radio signals were not then she would have seen the missile slowing down.

The parallel realities idea might be a better one, when Micheal left the island Ben told him to stay on a specific course.  There could be a barrier around the island that alters reality, with Jacob in control of it.

even when the helicopter took off in the last episode they mentioned staying on a direct course as well no matter what. so who knows!~

also--i mentioned this in the other thread i made before this one was created and thought it was an interesting thought so i'm bringing it over here  :P

it seems that time is completely off when it comes to the island. i am so curious to know why Richard hasn't aged at all (creepy dude that wears too much eye liner) i mean he looks exactly the same as he did when Ben (as a child) saw him in the jungle. maybe this time difference to the rest of the world is why women on the island also can't have a complete pregnancy. crazy thoughts and i want answers haha.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2008, 09:48:46 AM by deadheadpunk »

Offline Chaos

• Dragon Ryder
  • Liked: 3
  • Danger Zone!
    • The Literal Truth
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2008, 08:12:39 PM »
I call the people looking for Desmond the ADG or Anti-Dharma Group. My theory is that the people Sayid is hunting down for Ben in the future are members of the Anti-Dharma Group, and he is doing it to protect the secret of the survivors who are still alive on the island (because the rest of the world thinks everybody except the Oceanic Six are dead). This is supported by what Ben says at the end of the episode about Sayid protecting his friends.

We don't know yet what it is that the ADG want, nor do we know PRECISELY what Dharma itself wants (I've seen the viral videos and stuff, but that could also just be interesting material that is a plant, too)... but I suspect the two groups are at odds with each other over something, possibly control over the Island and the powers it represents / possesses.

Looking forward to Thursday's episode.
"First there was Chaos, the vast immeasurable abyss, Outrageous as a sea, dark, wasteful, wild." -Milton

Offline Cthulhu Bob

• Schnappi Supporter
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2008, 08:31:35 PM »
Almost forgot, I have one other piece of evidence to support my parallel realities theory:

Think back to the 2nd season after they enter the Hatch. Desmond has all these records from 70s groups that no one has every heard of. Not a single one is something like Kiss, Queen, The Eagles, etc. Just a bunch of weird nobodies that not even Charlie (the music "expert") has heard of.

About the Time Lag: The reason she was counting down the distance to the island was due to her radar screen tracking the missile. And radar is based on radio waves that would have been unaffected by the time dilation. Yeah, I am going out on a logical limb...why do you ask?  ;)

Offline bratpop

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Riff everything.
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2008, 11:26:47 PM »
Oh look, nobody could ever explain the show without looking dumber than Jessica Simpson crackers in a bowl of Tom Cruise soup. It's fucking magic and the island is the secret home of a spaghetti monster. They'll never tell us directly. This is from the guy who made you see a movie twice just for a splash in the end.

Explain how the helicopter got to the island without going 31 minutes into the future. When they go back will they be 31 minutes in the past, arriving before they took off?

Offline Grillslinger

• Magneto-cent Member
    • Grillslinger's Creations
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2008, 05:54:15 AM »
Desmond has all these records from 70s groups that no one has every heard of. Not a single one is something like Kiss, Queen, The Eagles, etc. Just a bunch of weird nobodies that not even Charlie (the music "expert") has heard of.

Geronimo Jackson, baby!

In Stephen King's Dark Tower series there are many different versions of our world that are slightly different.Pop culture changes with each one. In one of them, instead of Coca Cola, they have Nozza-La Cola.

Why bring it up? Because Abrams is a huge Stephen King fan...and because the parachute in the trees had a Nozza-La Cola sticker on the basket.

Abrams currently owns the film rights to The Dark Tower.

Offline deadheadpunk

• Sparkles in Sunlight
  • Pisces dying rays..
    • Myspace
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2008, 08:45:01 AM »
Desmond has all these records from 70s groups that no one has every heard of. Not a single one is something like Kiss, Queen, The Eagles, etc. Just a bunch of weird nobodies that not even Charlie (the music "expert") has heard of.

Geronimo Jackson, baby!

In Stephen King's Dark Tower series there are many different versions of our world that are slightly different.Pop culture changes with each one. In one of them, instead of Coca Cola, they have Nozza-La Cola.

Why bring it up? Because Abrams is a huge Stephen King fan...and because the parachute in the trees had a Nozza-La Cola sticker on the basket.

Abrams currently owns the film rights to The Dark Tower.

there have been a few sightings of King books on the island too, the book club the others were having were reading a S. King book that is Juilette's favorite, i think it was Carrie