Poll

Who is the better mascot?

Pets.com Sock Puppet
6 (28.6%)
Poppin' Fresh
15 (71.4%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: February 15, 2008, 03:41:04 PM

Author Topic: Great Mascot Tournament: Round 1, Match 4- Pets.com Sock Puppet Vs. Poppin Fresh  (Read 3294 times)

Offline GregMcduck

• Bilbo Baggins Balladeer
  • Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
64 Advertising Mascots Go In, Only One Will Be Crowned Champ

Pets.Com Sock Puppet (Pets.Com) Vs. Poppin' Fresh (Pillsbury)

[yt=425,350]3pxaTYK_vVU[/yt]

Pets.com had one massive marketing success: its advertising icon, the unnamed Pets.com dog. The puppet, performed by Michael Ian Black (an alumnus of MTV's surrealist comedy sketch show The State), was a simple sock puppet with button eyes, flailing arms, a stick microphone emblazoned with 'pets.com', and a Timex watch around its neck. As the puppet's notoriety grew through 1999 and 2000, it gained almost cult status and widespread popularity. The puppet made an appearance on ABC's Good Morning America, Nightline, Live with Regis and Kathie Lee, and even had a balloon made in its image for the 1999 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. In addition to the media appearances the Pets.com puppet made, merchandising was also done for the company including clothing, other trinkets, and a retail version of the sock puppet that delivered five of the puppet's famous lines.

[yt=425,350]l_I3br9m-68[/yt]

Poppin' Fresh, the Pillsbury Doughboy, was thought up by the Leo Burnett advertising agency's copywriter, Rudy Perz, as he was sitting in his kitchen in 1965, under pressure to create an advertising campaign. Perz imagined a living dough boy popping out of a Pillsbury Crescent Rolls can. To distinguish the dough boy from the rolls he gave it a scarf, a chef's hat, two big blue eyes, a blush when girls kissed him, and a soft, warm chuckle when poked in the stomach. The Doughboy was originally brought to life using stop motion clay animation, but now CGI Animation is used.

Offline Raven

• Climbed El Capitan
  • Liked: 177
  • Nevermore...
As a rule sock puppets scare me.  Poppin Fresh it is. 

Offline BBQ Platypus

• Liked: 59
  • SURF'S UP, SPACE PONIES!
GREAT (Ma)SCOT (Tournament)!

Hey, we all knew someone was going to say it.  It might as well be me.
Correction: the coat hanger should be upside down.

Offline Rude

• Liked: 3
  • Forum Czar

Everyone knows to vote for Poppin' Fresh. Otherwise his relatives would put the hurt down...

-Rude
"I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids."<a href="http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3" target="_blank" class="new_win">http://www.divshare.com/flash/audio?myId=3942804-0e3</a>

Offline GregMcduck

• Liked: 1
  • KOOOOONG!!1
    • Pop Arena
Before anyone asks, no, Stay Puft is not in the Tournament.

Offline esoobaC .T bocaJ

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 5
  • Jolly Snowflake day!!
awwwwwwwwwwwww :'(
flesyht etah tsum uoy ,flesyht evas oT

anais.jude

look, don't make me make my friends sign up on this hear board just to vote for the pets.com sock puppet! because they will, i have no life and I am very good at persuasion!

Offline Tripe

• Stars in Musicals
  • Liked: 9932
  • Very dapper
    • Nick Rowley, Voice Artist
Tee-Hee, Poppin Fresh by a country mile.

Offline Hebs

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
The Sock Puppet muse be returned to his former glory!  He was waaaay funnier than Poppin' Fresh, and in better shape. 

"What goes up.... must come down... spinnin' wheeeel..."
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline dignan

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 3
  • If Val's happy, I'm happy!
I vote Poppin' Fresh for his delightful turn as Ricky's brother in Boyz in da Hood.

anais.jude

The Sock Puppet muse be returned to his former glory!  He was waaaay funnier than Poppin' Fresh, and in better shape. 

"What goes up.... must come down... spinnin' wheeeel..."

Debs and I know what the score is....now let's cheat

Offline Courtney

• Liked: 5
  • How Twilight could have been better.
    • Hobo Trashcan - Outside of the In-Crowd
Sock Puppet all the way.  The force is strong on Michael Ian Black.  (and again, to reiterate, because it makes me happy, my voice is featured on his comedy album.  Yes yes, thanks, no autographs please.)

Offline Steve-O

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 56
    • The Incomparable
Until the Sock Puppet comes up with a catch phrase as awesome and instantly-recognizable as "Hee heeeeee!", it's the dough boy for me.

Offline Hebs

• Liked: 54
  • Peachy keen!
    • Say Hello
Debs and I know what the score is

haha, Debs.  I'm suddenly hungry for Little Debbies snack cakes..
.... t w i t t e r  //  b l o g  ....

Offline David

• Liked: 50
Pets.com went bankrupt 2 years after its inception. Now that dog's hawking some stupid 1-800 number like the has-been he is.

It's the dough-boy, no contest.