login

Author Topic: IRS & Income Tax Advice  (Read 44283 times)

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • Liked: 5308
  • There can be Only 1...
    • RVR II's YouTube Channel
IRS & Income Tax Advice
« on: February 09, 2008, 05:59:56 PM »
OK. It's Tax Season in the United States as everyone here knows.
For those of you who Don't Know ::) I run a small business that includes Income Tax Preparation.

Just a quick word of advice: Don't Try to Scam the IRS!

Perfect Example: Today, a couple came into our office who did taxes with us last year wanting to them again with us this year. Last year they filed Married Filing Jointly (MFJ) with 3 dependants like they should have. This year they wanted to file separately; not Married Filing Separately (MFS), but separately each as Head of Household (HH) where the husband would claim 1 dependant, and the wife would claim the other 2 because of the substantial amount in refunds each would receive from the HH tax credits!
This serious change in filing status would almost Certainly alert the IRS to the fact that something may not be right here, and would not only create a possible audit on them, but I would also get a phone call and/or visit from an IRS official!
We, of course, refused to do their taxes with these changes, and they inturn left to I guess find someone who would. I would rather lose a customer than try to keep their business by risking this kind of fraud.

And by all means, don't pull a Wesley Snipes and skip out on your taxes either! DUH! ::)
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 12:59:34 PM by RVR II »

anais.jude

Re: Income Tax Advice
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2008, 09:01:20 PM »
You did the right thing! DOn't put yourself and your business in jepeoardy (how the frick do you spell that word?) for people who aren't even your friends!

Your Dune riffing buddy on the other hand...........

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2008, 09:07:19 PM »
Oh Yeah! We've had some GR8 requests come through our office..

Can I claim my friends child? ::)

Can we claim a Dead relative? :speechless:

And more that don't come to mind at the moment..

Oh Yeah.. You Lost on Jeopardy! Baby! OOOooo...

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
  • Liked: 14
  • Every new beginning starts with an end
    • Little Rock Information
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2008, 09:12:42 PM »
I can claim my dog, right? My parrot has the IQ and emotional needs of a 2 year I'm told. 

Umm, if I can't claim them then pretend you don't know me when the IRS calls :)

I actually think I'm getting a real life refund this year.  I've never gotten a refund before.
�mike5150� how tall are you?.....in gallons?

Doctor Who?

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2008, 09:16:15 PM »
Income Tax Advice ?

Declare yourself an new country so you don't have to bother,trust me it will be less trouble to get the USA and UN to accept your country then it will be to try and understand the tax code.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2008, 09:16:34 PM »
I can claim my dog, right? My parrot has the IQ and emotional needs of a 2 year I'm told.   
:D :D Theoretically, YES!
If you have a Birth Certificate (AKC, CKC, etc.), shot records, and care supplies (food, grooming, etc.), for Home Security!!

I still wouldn't risk it :P

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2008, 09:18:07 PM »
Income Tax Advice ?

Declare yourself an new country so you don't have to bother,trust me it will be less trouble to get the USA and UN to accept your country then it will be to try and understand the tax code.
Agreed! I now declare RVRville, Independent! :highfive:

Doctor Who?

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2008, 09:21:25 PM »
The TARDIS is now it's own State!!

Then again i think it is already it's own universe.

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2008, 09:22:03 PM »
If you have a Birth Certificate (AKC, CKC, etc.), shot records, and care supplies (food, grooming, etc.), for Home Security!!

My dog is a wuss.  My parrot is literally an attack parrot and he mimics the security system at appropriate times (when the fed-ex guy comes to the door, for example, he'll "alarm").  Hmm.  I may be getting a bigger refund than I thought. 

I should have talked to a tax professional years ago ;)

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 7
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • My author website
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 09:22:52 PM »
Do superheroes get big tax refunds? I'm asking...for a friend. he wanted to know.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2008, 09:27:46 PM »

My dog is a wuss.  My parrot is literally an attack parrot and he mimics the security system at appropriate times (when the fed-ex guy comes to the door, for example, he'll "alarm").  Hmm.  I may be getting a bigger refund than I thought. 

Amendments can be done as far back as 2004 (till April 15) IF you think you missed something you should've claimed, But I wouldn't go back to claim the bird :P

When I was single, I always claimed '0' instead of '1' on my W-4's: You have more taxes witheld, which in most cases led to a bigger refund. I Always got a refund that way

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2008, 09:30:32 PM »
Do superheroes get big tax refunds? I'm asking...for a friend. he wanted to know.
Depends on the Super Hero and their Super Abilities..
I Think Villains had better luck though.. Darth Vader's use of the force seemed to have pulled in a substantial amount :P

Offline AmandaGal

• Mayor of Nilbog
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2008, 09:36:24 PM »

Amendments can be done as far back as 2004 (till April 15) IF you think you missed something you should've claimed, But I wouldn't go back to claim the bird :P

When I was single, I always claimed '0' instead of '1' on my W-4's: You have more taxes witheld, which in most cases led to a bigger refund. I Always got a refund that way

I get a crapload of 1099  miscs with nothing withheld from various web & writing projects.  That's why I've never gotten a refund.  I always plan for it though.  I actually used to go to a tax consultant but he always ended up with me paying more that I did if I used something like TurboTax and figured it out on my own.  Maybe he was just a tool though.

This year, I did claim a 0 at my pharmacist type job and I think they took out enough to cover for it and then some.  I might not get much of a refund, but even $5 would be better than paying.

Offline Fortis

• The FBI Pays Me to Surf
  • Liked: 7
  • I'd just as soon kiss a wookie!
    • My author website
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2008, 09:42:37 PM »
Depends on the Super Hero and their Super Abilities..
I Think Villains had better luck though.. Darth Vader's use of the force seemed to have pulled in a substantial amount :P

well his name is Mister Nice Guy, he only has two arch nemises, and his alter ego actually does more good than he does, so I'm not sure if he is enough of a superhero to justify much of a refund...I expect great things er...from him.

Offline RVR II

• Global Moderator
  • There can be Only 1...
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2008, 09:43:51 PM »

I get a crapload of 1099  miscs with nothing withheld from various web & writing projects.  That's why I've never gotten a refund.  I always plan for it though. 
Hmm.. Did you ever claim any out of pocket expenses for those 1099's?? We get a Lot of those through here, and you're allowed to claim expenses for 'Self-Employed' income (computer software purchased for particular jobs, misc. equipment, & supplies, etc.)??

Yeah, beware of 'Tool' tax preparers >:(
We have Plenty around here.. Only thing I like about them is they bring us More business unraveling their screw-ups :)